Back Up Options while on Ship

knittinggirl

I don't have a laptop. Usually, I travel w/ my Epson Viewer for back-ups. But on our last trip, it was full, so we didn't get many shots backed up.

My original plan was to use a lightning to SD to copy my SD card to the Ipad, then send them to the cloud. They got copied well, but the slow internet never uploaded them.

I bought and used 500 minutes, but once I returned home, I learned nothing had been saved to the cloud.

Any other ideas?

Buy a Kindle Fire 8 and a 128GB SD card to extend capacity (something Apple avoids for some reason). It supports USB OTG (connect card reader to the tablet) and also allows pretty quick rendering for viewing.

Don't worry about uploading to the web except for maybe a few postings. The connection is way too slow to upload gigabytes worth of photos.

Dave

Western Digital makes a bunch of wireless hard drives. They’re designed to store from SD cards and to transmit to iPad/computer etc so you can review your shots. Full disclosure it didn’t work well for me but i think it’s because i didn’t give it enough of a chance. And the person trying to teach me how to use it at Best Buy had no idea either.

Anyway this is an example of what i mean though there are a couple models/storage sizes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X19D3ZB/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1511990565&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=my+passport+wifi+hard+drive&dpPl=1&dpID=41k4ibXzOCL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I plan to just buy a few extra SD cards and transfer them when I get home. They’re cheap these days, and take up no room in your camera bag.

Because I'm the master of anal-retentive, your method is not backup, merely additional storage. Granted, solid state stuff tends to hold its data well, but you're still living with just one copy.

I have an elaborate system that is way more than any sane person would cruise with, but I prefer the comfort in knowing everything really is backed up. Memory cards are copied to three hard drives with a verification mechanism, so any data corruption is caught and rectified before the memory cards are erased. Those hard drives travel home in three different suitcases/bags, so no one theft or loss can get all three. It does involve taking a laptop, but we're also avid DSLR shooters and tend to create 150-350GB depending on the cruise destination. (Since we are creating such large files in such quantity, high-speed memory cards are essential, and therefore it's not feasible to buy 400GB of memory cards just to be able to go a whole week without erasing any of them.)

Supercheap netbooks, tablets, etc are pretty much the way to go for me now. I used to bring portable HDs, backup drive systems, etc - but with some netbooks or tablets going around $100, they're as cheap or cheaper than some of those designated 'photo backup' systems were, transfer easily and painlessly, and have a built-in big screen for viewing/review. I have a hybrid tablet/laptop that's about 5 years old with a SS drive that I keep for primarily photo backup and accessing web/e-mail while traveling. Dave's Fire tablet suggestion is up that same alley - cheap enough to just use as a photo backup device even if you don't need or use it for anything else.

There is the Gnarbox comes in 128 or 256GB solid state drive and has several slots for different cards, so you do not need separate card reader plus can view and edit from phone or iPad. It is water, dust and shock resistant. Works over 4 hours on battery power. I have Apple products so works great, the instructions (who reads those anyway) says it will work on android systems but will not work on Windows based 'mobile' devices. I have backed up my GoPro and photo files to it. Then watched and edited the movies on my iPad, gave me something to do on the plane. The other neat thing it will do is you can even attached an external drive to it for more storage, Size wise it is about the same size an external hard drive. So when traveling light I take this and a 2TB Lacie rugged hard drive, put them in a zip lock bag ( I do not turn the unit on in the bag it gets hot might melt the plastic, this warning, kind of like coffee is HOT may burn thing).

SD cards are relatively inexpensive so I never delete photos from the card. I change cards every day or two keeping the old cards in the cabin safe. I also transfer images from the camera to my tablet, which is set to upload to the cloud whenever we are near free wifi (the case in many ports).

• 2 weeks later...
SD cards are relatively inexpensive so I never delete photos from the card. I change cards every day or two keeping the old cards in the cabin safe. I also transfer images from the camera to my tablet, which is set to upload to the cloud whenever we are near free wifi (the case in many ports).

Considering the low price of SD cards now-a-days, we do the same thing. SD cards are my “negatives” of the past. We never threw away our negatives from our film cameras and I treat the SD cards with the same respect. I label them after a trip and place them in card holder/folder. When home, I back up all photos (from the cards) to an external hard drive for the “just in case” moments - but even with storage of photos onto hard drives, the SD cards are safely tucked away, labeled, catalogued, and stored.

Heather

Considering the low price of SD cards now-a-days, we do the same thing. SD cards are my “negatives” of the past. We never threw away our negatives from our film cameras and I treat the SD cards with the same respect. I label them after a trip and place them in card holder/folder. When home, I back up all photos (from the cards) to an external hard drive for the “just in case” moments - but even with storage of photos onto hard drives, the SD cards are safely tucked away, labeled, catalogued, and stored.

Heather

I purchased a couple of inexpensive external hard drives. I do delete the SD cards when the "negatives" have been transferred to multiple hard drives, one of which is kept in a second location.

Western Digital makes a bunch of wireless hard drives. They’re designed to store from SD cards and to transmit to iPad/computer etc so you can review your shots. Full disclosure it didn’t work well for me but i think it’s because i didn’t give it enough of a chance. And the person trying to teach me how to use it at Best Buy had no idea either.

Anyway this is an example of what i mean though there are a couple models/storage sizes

http://amzn.to/2AQwR28

I've got the 3TB model. I also recommend buying the case for it. http://amzn.to/2APpqZc

These things are brilliant. 1-4TB of storage - I just checked on Amazon and the 4TB is the same price as the 3TB, go figure - can work with a cable or wirelessly. Puts out its own network, so others can connect, or you can use it standalone. Has a card slot, so can read SD cards. Set it up to automatically copy whatever you slot in or just add the new files. Has its own rechargeable battery, so it works by itself, and can also be a power bank to charge a phone etc.

Takes a bit of fiddling to set it up just right, but once you do it is ideal for travel, especially out in the field away from power points or wifi.

I use it at home as my main Lightroom storage, and I've got a bigger drive I use for backups. For the price, why would you buy more and more SD cards? Just buy a couple of these, and you can have double backups on the go that easily read and save your day's work straight from the cards.

I love Western Digital. They work well with my Mac gear. I've tried other brands, and they promise a lot but end up causing grief.

• 3 months later...
Buy a Kindle Fire 8 and a 128GB SD card to extend capacity (something Apple avoids for some reason). It supports USB OTG (connect card reader to the tablet) and also allows pretty quick rendering for viewing.

Dave

I'm considering purchasing a Kindle Fire 8 for this purpose. But, in the reviews I'm reading, many are saying this is not possible.

Is this something you have been able to do?

I'm considering purchasing a Kindle Fire 8 for this purpose. But, in the reviews I'm reading, many are saying this is not possible.

Is this something you have been able to do?

With ES File Explorer for Fire (free app), I was able to transfer files using an OTG connector cable and a Transcend card reader.

I had a 128 GB chip in my Fire's microSD slot and just transferred the files to a holding directory.

Dave

Dave

With ES File Explorer for Fire (free app), I was able to transfer files using an OTG connector cable and a Transcend card reader.

I had a 128 GB chip in my Fire's microSD slot and just transferred the files to a holding directory.

Dave

Thank you!!

So, just so that I'm clear, clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727with these two items and the file explorer app I will be able to copy photos from my camera's sd card to a folder on the Fire 8?

If so, I'm thinking this is a perfect way to back up my photos without a laptop.

Thank you!!

So, just so that I'm clear, clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727with these two items and the file explorer app I will be able to copy photos from my camera's sd card to a folder on the Fire 8?

If so, I'm thinking this is a perfect way to back up my photos without a laptop.

I have used this method on my last two cruises. It has worked fine. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the process before you go while you have easy access to online help if needed.

Dave