You have 5 hours in Freeport with a group of 20+, what to do?

LongHill44

Day pass at the Grand Lucayan resort, located just across the street from the Grand Lucayan Marketplace with food and shopping.

I'd rather stay on the ship than pay for a resort pass for 3 or 3.5 hours. Just not enough time to bother with.

There are some shops and restaurants right around the port now. There is a Fat Tuesdays and a Senor Frogs. For shops there are the Tortuga Tum Cake store, Harley Davidson Apparel, Carolina/DelSol, and multiple souvenir stores. These are all right beside the port.

If you want to go into town you can catch a van at the taxi stand just off to the left nearby Senor Frogs. You could probably get 2 vans for your group. They can take you to the beach or to the Port Lucaya Marketplace. At the Marketplace we highly recommend stopping for a lunch or snack at Daddy Browns Conch Shack toward the back at the waters edge. For $15 you can get a giant plate of fresh caught lobster and conch fritters that is more than plenty for two! He makes a great conch salad too!

If you want a relaxing non-beach day I have enjoyed the Garden of the Groves. It’s a botanical garden near Freeport. You may want to take the ship excursion for this one. The tour guide will go over the history if the island and provide a walking tour through the Garden along with a stop at the Port Lucaya marketplace on the way home.

I wouldnt do it. Anything great is too far away . Rushing with kids and elderly people stinks. Except for a bit of shopping, Id just plan a group game on the ship.

*I am an adventurer and have experience taking big groups cruising and on excursions, but I don't love Jamaica. I have always found the people a little too harsh and the only time I enjoyed myself was on this private catamaran day (mobay). We have encountered 2 particularly agressive people and one was in Freeport. She physically trapped me in her little vendor booth and wouldnt let me leave "until I bought something". My hubby was at a bit of a distance so it was just me. I eventually had to match her level of aggression and did leave without buying anything. Not my idea of fun, so I just avoid it now. And for 3hrs time ashore, I definately wouldnt bother. I would plan something fun on the ship if I found myself in this scenario.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I wouldnt do it. Anything great is too far away . Rushing with kids and elderly people stinks. Except for a bit of shopping, Id just plan a group game on the ship.

*I am an adventurer and have experience taking big groups cruising and on excursions, but I don't love Jamaica. I have always found the people a little too harsh and the only time I enjoyed myself was on this private catamaran day (mobay). We have encountered 2 particularly agressive people and one was in Freeport. She physically trapped me in her little vendor booth and wouldnt let me leave "until I bought something". My hubby was at a bit of a distance so it was just me. I eventually had to match her level of aggression and did leave without buying anything. Not my idea of fun, so I just avoid it now. And for 3hrs time ashore, I definately wouldnt bother. I would plan something fun on the ship if I found myself in this scenario.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about Freeport, Bahamas not Jamaica.;)

Freeport has a lot to offer, unfortunately it seems like the stop is often very short. If the entire group wants to stay together keep in mind that some tours will split the group. We did Carnival's Kayak excursion and it was wonderful, but they did have the roughly 30 people split into 3 groups. The excursion time was listed for roughly the entire time in port, but we did get back about 30 minutes early.

Have a great family trip!

I stand by my recommendations for the activities that would fit within your timeframe and suitable for all ages.

Pam and I cruise for the ports of call and if we wanted to sit by a pool or read a book in bed we would just stay at home!

No matter if we’ve been somewhere 10 times before we will go ashore and explore. We always find new things to do, see, or eat.

If you’d rather not spend money on a cruise excursion you can always take a taxi.

Check here in the ports of call areas, TripAdvisor, Yelp, and even YouTube to find things to do and places to see at each port. Print out a paper map and mark down the locations of each.

No matter if you stay on board or go off and explore you are still paying the port taxes and fees so why not go out, stretch your legs, and get your moneys worth!