Isnt NCL the parent company of Regent?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/16-days-of-hell-on-cruise-ship/news-story/3d01e655082e0d22ecebac7ff5ab27a3

I'm just aghast at reading about the behavior of Regent's parent company, NCL, as described in this article about the recent "cruise to hell" aboard the Norwegian Sun. Sorry if this is considered "off topic", but I find this very troubling given that this is Regent's parent company. What kind of company does that??? Is Frank del Rio ok with this? Apparently he is, based on the appalling response given by the company's spokeswoman. Shame on them!

It is a horrendous story. However, let's separate the three companies under the NCLH umbrella. Each line has it's own CEO/President. NCL's CEO/President has been with NCL for years and he runs the NCL cruise line.

Although Regent, Oceania and Regent share. many things. For example, all three cruise lines source their food from the same company but do not necessarily order the same quality.

For historical purposes, it is interesting to know/remember that much of NCLH's Board of Directors were on the Board of Directors of PCH. So, Regent and Oceania is basically being run by the same Board as prior to being purchased by NCLH.

I'm not making excuses for what happened on NCL but the problem was on a NCL ship and firstly should have been handled by NCL officers on board. If that wasn't working for whatever reason, the President/CEO or another high ranking NCL management person should have been contacted.

There are many levels of management between the ships officers and the CEO of Norwegian Cruise lines, Frank Del Rio who basically no longer manages the cruise lines but manages the people that run the cruise lines. Unlike the old days, when something is not right on Regent, we no longer go to Frank Del Rio. Instead, after contacting the G.M. onboard, we contact CEO/President Jason Montague - or perhaps Jason O'Keefe who could direct us to the responsible management person.

So, In my opinion, the blame lies solely on NCL and I have no reason to believe that the actions taken by NCL would be the same on Regent or Oceania.

As TC2 has perfectly explained, NCLH rather than NCL is the parent company of Regent.

There have been numerous threads over on the NCL Board about this particularly challenging cruise on Norwegian Sun.

The latest thread indicates that NCL has now buckled under passenger & press pressure and has considerably increased their offer of compensation.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2620756

I am more concerned with who are the largest two shareholders in NCL. Apollo Global Management 16%

founded in 1990 by former Drexel Burnham Lambert banker Leon Black The firm specializing in leveraged buyout transactions and purchases of distressed securities involving corporate restructuring, special situations, and industry consolidations. And Genting Group 11% the owners of what I believe to be the worse cruise line in operation today, Star Cruises. They operated in a very Asian style, provide a low level of service and higher pricing.

So you have the two major shares holders one is a company that buys problem corporation to restructure, consolidate, cut up and flip. The other is a Asian Gaming company who has a terrible record for customer service. These are the owners of better than 27% of NCL. Does not seem like it would make for a corporation that believes in long term holding of assets and building great guest relationships.

I am more concerned with who are the largest two shareholders in NCL. Apollo Global Management 16%

founded in 1990 by former Drexel Burnham Lambert banker Leon Black The firm specializing in leveraged buyout transactions and purchases of distressed securities involving corporate restructuring, special situations, and industry consolidations. And Genting Group 11% the owners of what I believe to be the worse cruise line in operation today, Star Cruises. They operated in a very Asian style, provide a low level of service and higher pricing.

So you have the two major shares holders one is a company that buys problem corporation to restructure, consolidate, cut up and flip. The other is a Asian Gaming company who has a terrible record for customer service. These are the owners of better than 27% of NCL. Does not seem like it would make for a corporation that believes in long term holding of assets and building great guest relationships.

Th last I heard, Genting was selling shares of NCHL. In any case, the same things were being said when PCH purchased Regent and things only got better for the cruise line. Before being purchased by NCLH, Regent had not had a new ship in years ...... now they have one new one and one under construction. The food has never been better on Regent and the service remains excellent (many of the crew members have been with Regent for close to 20 years). The only hiccup that Regent has had is trying to hire enough qualified new crew members for their new ships since Seabourn and Silversea have also been launching new ships.

If someone wants to worry about it, it is up to them. There could also be a war tomorrow but I'm not going to sit and waste my brain cells worrying about it. In the opinion of many, Regent is the best that she has ever been!

Regardless of how you have described Apollo and Genting, they are both getting out of NCLH. Research and you will see that they have been selling shares and will continue to do so.

NCL, PCH, Regent, Carlson, Genting, et al. Its a long history, much to long to get into here.

Regardless of how you have described Apollo and Genting, they are both getting out of NCLH. Research and you will see that they have been selling shares and will continue to do so.

NCL, PCH, Regent, Carlson, Genting, et al. Its a long history, much to long to get into here.

I was aware of Genting but not Apollo. In your opinion, what do you think that this means for Regent? I know that the history is long and complex but how do you see the future? From what I've seen, NCLH is doing quite well and our hope is that the "key" Regent and Oceania advocates remain on the Board.

I was aware of Genting but not Apollo. In your opinion, what do you think that this means for Regent? I know that the history is long and complex but how do you see the future? From what I've seen, NCLH is doing quite well and our hope is that the "key" Regent and Oceania advocates remain on the Board.

Apollo was one of the largest holders of PCH(Regent and Oceana). They also owned a large piece of NCL. So when NCL and PCH combined they owned a large percent of the combined NCLH.

NCLH is a public traded company that was recently included in the S&P 500. They are doing quite well financially and that speaks well for the future of all three cruise lines.

Apollo was one of the largest holders of PCH(Regent and Oceana). They also owned a large piece of NCL. So when NCL and PCH combined they owned a large percent of the combined NCLH.

NCLH is a public traded company that was recently included in the S&P 500. They are doing quite well financially and that speaks well for the future of all three cruise lines.

Thanks much for your response!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have the email addresses of the two Jason’s. We might have an issue to do with our shareholding in NCL that if not resolved we would need to refer to senior management or directors of Regent and/or NCL.

eliana, hope your NCLH shareholder issues sort themselves out. However if u need to email either Jason pls note below. Tho, being Regent (vs NCLH officers) don't know if they directly can help solve the issue but they probably know who can.

When we have a NCLH issue (generally to get our $250SBC) we have our Travel AGent coordinate (we fill out the shareholder form about two months prior to boarding). We have been pleased since we became NCLH shareholders;30%+ capital gain and three $250 SBC for our the 3 Regent cruises we took since becoming shareholders

JMontague@rssc.com

JOkeefe@rssc.com

Wes beat me to it:D. Actually I had two keyboards that suddenly died so I couldn't post. Unfortunately for some, I have even more back-up keyboards!

Jason O'Keefe manages the Seven Seas Society but is able to direct emails to the right people. Jason Montague, of courses is the President and CEO of Regent.

I purchased a couple hundred shares of NCLH after I booked my Alaska Cruise. After final payment I filled out the forms and sent in my statement. It is an 11 day cruise so I was hoping to get a simple $100 OBC for each of our two rooms. I was denied the credit because my travel agent is so good that the deal I received was not eligible for the shareholder credit.(I don't know what my travel agent knows) ML has a target of 72 on the stock. I just wouldn't buy it counting on a credit. In the scheme of the world if really doesn't bother me much, but when you spend 30k on a vacation, to block you on a technicality for a $200.00 OBC is petty. Not the first class experience I would think. Just my two cents on their shoreholder benefit.

kbarnum-- There are some exclusions in the fine print where a stockholder OBC does not apply. Perhaps you fall into one of those exceptions:

Benefit is non-transferable, excludes Reduced Rate programs (e.g. employee rates, interline, friends /family rates, vendor rates, cruises taken via cruise credit certificate, or free cruises earned through Oceania Cruises loyalty benefits), and travel agent rates, and charters.