Tipping - Car Service - NYC

pasodancer

Hi again! Looking for the "average tip".........using car service (Dial 7) from LGA to hotel (cost will be $39) and then Hotel to Cape Liberty (cost will be $62). Never used a car service before so I don't know what the going rate would be in NYC? Don't want to shortchange the driver who I'm sure will provide fabulous service and get us to our destination in 1 piece.

TYIA for your help//Maria

Hi again! Looking for the "average tip".........using car service (Dial 7) from LGA to hotel (cost will be $39) and then Hotel to Cape Liberty (cost will be $62). Never used a car service before so I don't know what the going rate would be in NYC? Don't want to shortchange the driver who I'm sure will provide fabulous service and get us to our destination in 1 piece.

TYIA for your help//Maria

The usual recommended amount is 18-20% on the base price excluding toll charges.

Having never been to NYC before - will I be billed for the toll charges at my destination? (not sure what tolls there may be)? We are going from vic TImes Square to Cape Liberty so I would assume we drive over some bridge??

Having never been to NYC before - will I be billed for the toll charges at my destination? (not sure what tolls there may be)? We are going from vic TImes Square to Cape Liberty so I would assume we drive over some bridge??

Either the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel. It will likely be a $15 toll. There will also be some NJ Turnpike toll as well - $1.60 or $4.00 depending on the route.

And you will pay all of it upon arrival. You didn't specify the service, but if you're paying by plastic, you'll likely be handed a tablet and will have the opportunity to tip at that time with suggested amounts / tip percentage calculations.

- Mark

Wow, I love your answers - so much less traveling stress when I know that I can just hand over my credit card and put the fare and the tip on it. And, it is so nice to know about the tolls too.

If anyone is every traveling out of Norfolk...........I can answer all of your questions!