Boston Terminal - QM2 Position Question

MarkBearSF

Thinking about doing a cruise next summer which will include an overnight in Boston. My questions are about the likely positioning of the ship and likely firework visibility on July 4.

• How is the ship likely to be docked at the pier. From the look of things on Apple Maps, my guess is that she'd be docked "pointing in" at Black Falcon Terminal, with her bow pointed west and the ship terminal would be next to her on the north. (starboard side) - Is this most likely?
  • Where's the fireworks show? Is it over the Inner Harbor, above the Charles in the Back Bay, or somewhere else/both?
  • How high is the terminal? If in a high cabin on 8 or 11 deck might I be likely to see the fireworks if they're in the Inner Harbor? (I know ships differ, but assuming standard deck heights and the lowest passenger accessible deck to be 1)

• How convenient is the Silver Line? Both as a mass transit solution (frequency, time to a central Boston station) and accessibility of the stop to the ship terminal (My husband uses a cane and can't walk long distances)

Thanks!

Not sure it can be predicted which way the ship will dock. While its likely to be bow in, there could be some reason it goes aft in.

The fireworks are over the Charles. Not sure what type of view you will get from Black Falcon.

The Silver Line is a rapid transit bus. I believe there is a stop in front of the cruise terminal, or extremely close by. You can check http://www.mbta.com for more info.

Thinking about doing a cruise next summer which will include an overnight in Boston. My questions are about the likely positioning of the ship and likely firework visibility on July 4.

• How is the ship likely to be docked at the pier. From the look of things on Apple Maps, my guess is that she'd be docked "pointing in" at Black Falcon Terminal, with her bow pointed west and the ship terminal would be next to her on the north. (starboard side) - Is this most likely?
  • Where's the fireworks show? Is it over the Inner Harbor, above the Charles in the Back Bay, or somewhere else/both?
  • How high is the terminal? If in a high cabin on 8 or 11 deck might I be likely to see the fireworks if they're in the Inner Harbor? (I know ships differ, but assuming standard deck heights and the lowest passenger accessible deck to be 1)

• How convenient is the Silver Line? Both as a mass transit solution (frequency, time to a central Boston station) and accessibility of the stop to the ship terminal (My husband uses a cane and can't walk long distances)

Thanks!

Ship is likely to be docked as you described. I saw her on July 4 two years ago and that's how she was positioned.

Fireworks are in the Charles River, not the inner harbor.

Silver Line stops on Black Falcon Ave across from the terminal.

The Boston Pops Concert followed by the fireworks is a mass mob scene. If your husband has a cane and can't walk long distances, IMO he doesn't belong in that crowd. The only thing you could do would be to find a place where you could pay to go and view the fireworks arriving early and leaving after the crowds subside.

Our story with the fireworks was that DH, DD, and 8 and 11 year old DGD's were able to Uber somewhere near the Charles River from the Westin Hotel near Black Falcon. However they had to walk all the way back to the hotel afterwards. Uber went into surge pricing and the cost was too ridiculous to consider.

Thank you all.

I thought I had remembered that the famous Boston Pops concert & fireworks were in the Back Bay and I agree about the crowds. Even without mobility considerations, I find our tolerance for crowds diminishes with each passing year. If the fireworks were likely to be visible from the ship, I'd factor it into my cabin selection, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

With a city like Boston at our feet, friends in town, and offerings by Cunard and our group, I'm sure we'll have a fab evening somewhere!

- Mark

Thank you all.

I thought I had remembered that the famous Boston Pops concert & fireworks were in the Back Bay and I agree about the crowds. Even without mobility considerations, I find our tolerance for crowds diminishes with each passing year. If the fireworks were likely to be visible from the ship, I'd factor it into my cabin selection, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

With a city like Boston at our feet, friends in town, and offerings by Cunard and our group, I'm sure we'll have a fab evening somewhere!

- Mark

Hi Mark, if the night is clear, you will be able to see the fireworks over the Charles on your ship at Black Falcon. It's not that far away and they are huge fireworks and they shoot them up very high. In fact, I think sitting on one of the upper decks with a drink in hand will be about the best way to watch the show! No fighting the crowds at the Esplanade or in the few rooftop hotel or restaurant bars! We live 19 miles south of the city and can hear them every July 4th! Enjoy! Lynne from Boston.