Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

Thanks. As recommended and opinion by many here, I plan on changing to approved dressy (no jeans, shorts, or t-shirts), Resort Wear for dinner when I dine at the Terrace Cafe, and all dinner venues, I may consider wearing a sport coat, if I see other gents wearing them.

Make sure to bring some of the "linen" type clothing you first mentioned. We found it surprisingly warm in the dining venues. warmest I can ever remember on a ship. You'll be fine in shorts & T shirt during the day. It's at night they want the Country Club leisure wear.

But the only person your opinion matters to is you. Or possibly other like minded people.

In some people's opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with shorts in the Terrace at any time. That's actually part of the draw, to not have to get all gussied up for dinner.

We've all paid our fare, whose money is worth more? If you are wearing what Oceania asks of you then it doesn't really matter what some buttoned up person thinks.

I find the use of the term disrespectful to be very disrespectful of those that follow the dress code.

Even in Terrace Grill pax were pretty much dressed as in the rest of the ship. During the day we all were pretty much dressed casual resort style. Some pax did dress up a bit for the enrichment seminars or the cooking demo classes. I'm talking slacks & short sleeve polo type shirts.

Appreciate reading these varied postings. Am getting ready for our first Oceania sailing. In mid November, 2018, just seven months away, we are doing an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania on the Nautica. This will include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Like getting these insights and tips for a first-timer with this cruise line.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 199,806 views for this posting.

I think you'll enjoy the enrichment lecture seminars. You'll get a lot of history on the region you'll travel. We learned a lot more about the Aztecs & Mayans in our western Caribbean tour then we ever would in a book.

Never bad questions! Just bad answers. You'll find the terrace to be really a nice place. You can order food & in most cases they'll bring it to your table. We were on Riviera, which is larger than Sirena & some of the other ships. I hear they are building another Riviera size ship to be launched fairly soon. Kind of disappointed that Cuba has been taken off our agenda. You'll at least have the full tour of the island.

This is the first that I have of a new ship for Oceania. Details?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Posted this a year or so ago (probably using different words and order).

In regard to attire, just ask the Oceania person in charge. I once asked the person in charge of Horizons during high? tea if it was OK to wear my FC Barcelona tie shirt (it was a European cruise). Manny told me it was OK. he ended up greeting me with a smile and thumbs up. Several of the wait staff said they were fans (either of FC Barcelona or Real Madrid). The table next to us had three cruisers from Spain and good natured banter resulted.

In Europe, a home town football cap or shirt can overcome some of the bias against masses of American tourists.

I will be trying this in Canada, during our Oceania Marina Atlantic crossing in May with a Cape Brenton Screaming Eagles (hockey) tie shirt which we got in Sydney on a prior Oceania cruise.

I do realize that this may not help with pre-cruise packing.

This is the first that I have of a new ship for Oceania. Details?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought I saw it in Berlitz guide to cruise ships. I'll check again. Could easily have been transferred over to Regent. Queen Victoria, I believe was really supposed to be a HAL ship. Just change the interior a bit & it's pretty easy to do. True about Viking. They're on a roll with the building. They may find themselves with too many ships to fill if not careful.

We've gotten rather off-track on the subject but I was curious about a possible new ship since I didn't recall hearing anything about a third "O" ship.

I did find an article in USA Today from April 2016 where FDR was quoted as saying they wouldn't be looking for any more "R" ships ... and hinted that if they get any NEW ships, as in new builds, they would be looking for a different design.

"ABOARD THE SIRENA -- Oceania Cruises' next ships are likely to feature an entirely new design, the CEO of the line's parent company told cruise writers this week."

That's somewhat old news, however!

Mura

Never bad questions! Just bad answers. You'll find the terrace to be really a nice place. You can order food & in most cases they'll bring it to your table. We were on Riviera, which is larger than Sirena & some of the other ships. I hear they are building another Riviera size ship to be launched fairly soon. Kind of disappointed that Cuba has been taken off our agenda. You'll at least have the full tour of the island.

I'm also curious to learn about this reportedly "new ship". Regent has one being built at the moment that will be launched February 2020. The last that I heard, Oceania would not have a new ship until approximately 2023 (could be sooner but doubt if it would be prior to the launch of Regent's Splendor).

I'm also curious to learn about this reportedly "new ship". Regent has one being built at the moment that will be launched February 2020. The last that I heard, Oceania would not have a new ship until approximately 2023 (could be sooner but doubt if it would be prior to the launch of Regent's Splendor).

Yeah, I couldn't find it in the Berlitz guide. Unless they buy a ship from another line(the Sirena?) & refurbish it, I really don't see any changes for a while. I'm amazed at all the Viking new builds. I understand they're going after the high premium market of Oceania/Azamara. but I think they could overbook & wind up sailing with not full ships. I find their prices are pretty steep for what you get.

I think you'll enjoy the enrichment lecture seminars. You'll get a lot of history on the region you'll travel. We learned a lot more about the Aztecs & Mayans in our western Caribbean tour then we ever would in a book.

YES, we love those speaker/enrichment programs that give more depth and background for the interesting areas we are visiting later this year. As we have done when sailing in Africa, Australia/NZ, Europe, the Amazon River, etc., those ship programs and the time to talk with these speakers has added much for our overall travel experience. Glad to know that Oceania places a priority for these offerings. It is now just seven months till when we board the Nautica for our first sailing with Oceania.

THANKS for these insights and background! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 38,225 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

No idea now I'm afraid but nothing dressy, it was a very snazzy hand tied one with varied materials in shades of pink and went with a pink jacket he had (looked better than it sounds honestly!!) but not a formal DJ type bow tie, so I didn't need a ballgown :)

Lovely. When and where are you going?

Mark

We are off today to board Marina on Sunday up to Newfoundland and across to Southampton.

Report back your observation of what the PAXs are wearing at lunch and dinner in the main dining room and specialty restaurants. Is everyone complying with Oceania’s posted dress code?

Enjoy your cruise..

King, was that an order???? I'm sure you didn't intend it to be one ...

I'm not jo-b, of course, but after many cruises on O I haven't noticed egregious attire. Our last cruise was on Marina in November. That was #16, I think. We were on two cruises in 2016 (Nautica and Sirena) and likewise, we didn't see obvious faults.

But I agree that obvious "over-casualness" would bother us as well ...

I don't think I'm the first to observe that these days in many places -- such as work places! -- people are far more casual than they once were. When I was in school girls couldn't wear pants, we had to have skirts or dresses (if skirts, a top was obligatory) ... But look that teens today in schools. Do any girls wear skirts or dresses? As demographics change -- i.e, as us older folks disappear and today's 40 and 50 somethings age -- styles may change ...

I still like to see people nicely dressed in restaurants but I'm older than the next generation ... (Never thought THAT would be the case!)

Just a few thoughts ... I really wouldn't want to be around if the time comes when no one ever dresses up nicely, just wears jeans and over-worn t-shirts ... And I love jeans and t-shirts ... Just in the proper venue!

Mura

King, was that an order???? I'm sure you didn't intend it to be one ...

I'm not jo-b, of course, but after many cruises on O I haven't noticed egregious attire. Our last cruise was on Marina in November. That was #16, I think. We were on two cruises in 2016 (Nautica and Sirena) and likewise, we didn't see obvious faults.

But I agree that obvious "over-casualness" would bother us as well ...

I don't think I'm the first to observe that these days in many places -- such as work places! -- people are far more casual than they once were. When I was in school girls couldn't wear pants, we had to have skirts or dresses (if skirts, a top was obligatory) ... But look that teens today in schools. Do any girls wear skirts or dresses? As demographics change -- i.e, as us older folks disappear and today's 40 and 50 somethings age -- styles may change ...

I still like to see people nicely dressed in restaurants but I'm older than the next generation ... (Never thought THAT would be the case!)

Just a few thoughts ... I really wouldn't want to be around if the time comes when no one ever dresses up nicely, just wears jeans and over-worn t-shirts ... And I love jeans and t-shirts ... Just in the proper venue!

Mura

Mura,

Sorry, and my apologies. Not indexed to be an order. I should have written “Please report back..... “. I’m still accustomed to the guards barking orders at us.

I asked re: the dress code on Oceania because it will be my first cruise on Oceania, and I want to bring proper civilian clothing since I’ve read it’s an upscale cruise line.

Every day, I wore a tee shirt or a denim shirt with denim dungarees. That’s it. :(

Safe journeys, and thanks for the info.

King

Sorry keep forgetting to take phone to dinner.

Red Ginger day 1 full when we were leaving mainly short sleeve shirts a few long sleeve shirts 2 jackets. Ladies smart but not glittery. One couple wearing hats, him a panama hers a straw sun hat.

Day2 Terrace Cafe as there was a huge line into the dining room. A few shorts, mainly long pants. A few people wearing what they had toured in. Mainly smart as in RG.

Day 3 MDR very busy, w event in at 6.30 small line, by the time w elect at about 8.20 there was hardly an empty table and still a line to get in. A few jackets, mainly long sleeve shirts, ladies smart dresses, or pants and evening top or a smart blouse.

Food great by the way :–)

It's always seemed to me that on Day 1 dinner is more casual in all restaurants. After all, many passengers have been traveling that day. And the buffet (Terrace) is always casual.

King, you can still wear your tees and denims during the day ... just not for dinner! Although I don't think you would risk being hung from the yardarm if you did!

Have a good cruise,

Mura

Well I remembered to take my phone but the GDR is on different levels so quite hard to get views.

And for whatever reason I can’t seem to add photos to this post so here is the link which should be to two different photos but looks identical. Anyway my work here is done we are off to see New York :)

Gdr

Gdr

JqJcHo

As you can see the only jackets being worn is by the waiters.

Was this lunch?

You'll see a few jackets in the Specialties.

Just wear something clean and nice.

It really is a bigger deal here on the board that it is on board.

7 days and a wake-up until we board the Sirena for 16 days cruising around Cuba twice! I've got my polo shirts, dockers and boat shoes ready to go with no sport coat in sight. We also have 6 specialty dining reservations, 3 per leg, already booked for when we're not eating up at the Terrace Café. I might even pack a pair of blue jeans as I do feel more comfortable in them when going on excursions.

Fun times ahead!!