Viking Danube Waltz Questions

Cruiseoholic000

I am thinking of taking the Viking Danube waltz cruise 2018, October. I was wondering how the weather would be beginning of the month of October? Will it be to chilly for Aquavit Terrace and other outdoor areas on the ship? Will Oktoberfest festivities be a problem a during this time frame (crowds etc.). Any other information about this itinerary and time of year would be helpful.

I am thinking of taking the Viking Danube waltz cruise 2018, October. I was wondering how the weather would be beginning of the month of October? Will it be to chilly for Aquavit Terrace and other outdoor areas on the ship? Will Oktoberfest festivities be a problem a during this time frame (crowds etc.). Any other information about this itinerary and time of year would be helpful.

Are you sure want to do the Danube Waltz? The Romantic Danube is almost the same but has a little better itinerary.

It can be quite cold then. Last Oct 7 for example the low in Vienna was 33 and the high was 49.

I would pick a month closer to or in summer.

Are you sure want to do the Danube Waltz? The Romantic Danube is almost the same but has a little better itinerary.

A nice thing about the Waltz is that they stop in Bratislava. I also think that by starting in Passau, you are past the area where low water is the biggest problem.

Weather that time of year can be cold, or it can be beautiful. Fares are at a premium in September. It being dark earlier in October, you have more of a chance to see the cities all lite up. Make the best of when you go, no one time is. perfect

In 2018 the Oktoberfest runs from 22 September to 7 October. I like the fact that the Danube Waltz starts in Passau, I started from there and find it a nice sail out of town into your river cruise adventure. :)

notamermaid

We did the Christmas Markets version of this cruise last December. We enjoyed it. We elected to start in Passau since we thought if we ended in Passau we might have to leave very early on the last day to get to Munich airport for our flight home. However if we had started in Budapest we could have come in early a few days to spend extra time in Budapest. There is so much to see and do in Budapest that we did not get to do. With our cruise ending so close to Christmas, we could not add days at the end.

A nice thing about the Waltz is that they stop in Bratislava. I also think that by starting in Passau, you are past the area where low water is the biggest problem.

Weather that time of year can be cold, or it can be beautiful. Fares are at a premium in September. It being dark earlier in October, you have more of a chance to see the cities all lite up. Make the best of when you go, no one time is. perfect

The biggest negative for us would be that it uses a day for Bratislava. My wife and I took the grand European in 2014. The collective sentiment among the passengers was that it was the least interesting city we visited by far and I understand the comment cards at the end reflected that. The next year that city was dropped from the grand European. The Ronantic Danube slips it.

The biggest negative for us would be that it uses a day for Bratislava. My wife and I took the grand European in 2014. The collective sentiment among the passengers was that it was the least interesting city we visited by far and I understand the comment cards at the end reflected that. The next year that city was dropped from the grand European. The Ronantic Danube slips it.

We did Amsterdam to Budapest that summer on Viking also. For my wife and I plus 2 daughters, Bratislava was a great stop. We had fun wandering around looking at the various statues and exploring. You were able to dock a 5 minute walk from the pedestrian zone. A nice, compact downtown.

Vienna, which most people love, we didn't really care for. We had great weather in Bratislava and not so great in Vienna, so that might have played a part.

So, guess different people like different things. :)

• 10 months later...

Just returned from the Danube Waltz trip, the weather was very cool in the mornings and at night. They did provide nice wool lap blankets to help keep us warm. Also, there are glass wind breaks that help quite a bit. The Aquavit Terrace has glass doors they kept shut so it was very comfortable and we still had a great view.

My wife and I did Romantic Danube in 2013, the end of October into the beginning of November. Started with the pre-extension in Prague, where we experienced the coolest weather of the trip, and wound up in Budapest where the weather was much warmer. Now understand, we are from South Florida and we LOVE the cool weather. For us, this was perfect, plus less crowds, and cheaper prices. I thought it was a win, win, win situation. Every day was bright and sunny, and you just need to dress in light layers - it was cool in the mornings, but warmer in the afternoons. After that, we did Spain the same time of year, and did a Rhone Cruise in April. We love Europe during the "shoulder" season.