Viking final payment

kapok kid

2 of my 20+ river cruises have been with Viking. No complaints about the cruises (although I think prices are somewhat higher than comparable lines), but given a choice I look elsewhere - having to negotiate to get Final Payment 6 months out (still twice what I consider the average to be [3 months]) is tiresome as is wading through their fake pricing (which unfortunately is not restricted to just them). I have many choices and a company who plays Final Payment games is far from the top of my list.

I find it distressing that there does not seem to be a set policy at Viking about final payment date. First they try for virtually immediate payment upon booking. Then, if you dicker - they quickly offer an extension of time which may be different from what was offered someone else. Yet none of it seems to add up to their published policy of “90 days before the cruise”. It is all quite unsettling. I figure they must have bonus tiers for their booking agents based on final payment dates negotiated. The earlier an agent can get a customer to make final payment, the higher the bonus. It’s the only explanation I can think of for such diversity in payment date arragements and all the bargaining that seems to go on about it. I am sure they have nice ships and lovely cruises, but all this bartering makes me uncomfortable.

No bonus for agent. Commission isn't paid until after cruise.....just like real estate.....paid after sale of property

Even so, the amount might differ depending on when you made final payment.

• 4 weeks later...
I’m new to river cruising and have been talking to a Viking rep regarding a Jan 2020 sailing. I was told the deposit would be $500pp which is fine. But final payment will be Dec 2018 which is over a year in advance. I would like to think I could invest my 25K in that years time.

ask them to move it to 6-9 months prior to the trip. I get my clients that time frame all the time

I find it distressing that there does not seem to be a set policy at Viking about final payment date. First they try for virtually immediate payment upon booking. Then, if you dicker - they quickly offer an extension of time which may be different from what was offered someone else. Yet none of it seems to add up to their published policy of “90 days before the cruise”. It is all quite unsettling. I figure they must have bonus tiers for their booking agents based on final payment dates negotiated. The earlier an agent can get a customer to make final payment, the higher the bonus. It’s the only explanation I can think of for such diversity in payment date arragements and all the bargaining that seems to go on about it. I am sure they have nice ships and lovely cruises, but all this bartering makes me uncomfortable.

Agents do not get paid until the client travels. Viking does ask for the final payment extremely early, however, they do have a great product and as long as their ships are full and people are paying the full payment so far in advance there is no incentive on the business end to change it.

iking does ask for the final payment extremely early, however, they do have a great product and as long as their ships are full and people are paying the full payment so far in advance there is no incentive on the business end to change it.

This is uniquely a North American problem though, they don't do this in Europe or Australia for example...

Ive just deposited for a May 2020, Egypt cruise. Full payment is due 120 days out..

We also have a guarantee that there will be no currency conversion fees, so if your credit card charges you the fee, they will refund it.

This is in Australia...

We just booked a November 2019 trip.

Told our TA that early final payment was a deal breaker.

She advised us to make our deposit and Viking would adjust the final payment date.

We got final due 6 months prior to travel when the confirm arrived.

Wish Viking would adopt a firm policy rather than playing this nasty game of extracting the most money they can the soonest - in order to pay for all the new ships coming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
We just booked a November 2019 trip.

Told our TA that early final payment was a deal breaker.

She advised us to make our deposit and Viking would adjust the final payment date.

We got final due 6 months prior to travel when the confirm arrived.

Thanks for the info.

WE are very close to booking the Viking Jupiter for the Southern Crossing, November 2019.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2634399

Of course, we first want to understand (other) details such as insurance coverage.

We have found, it's easier to get info BEFORE making a deposit.:)

Whilst I do not agree with Alidor when he said the Viking experience was less than many other cruise lines.....I am not a fan of their payment policy, but I do know if you request a later payment date, they will accommodate you....We loved our Viking experience!!!

Looking at Viking's web-site:

Pay by echeck and Save

• You may use echeck to pay for your Viking cruise or cruisetour, and for airfare.
  • Every dollar paid for cruise, air, taxes, fees or surcharges can be paid by echeck, including regular-priced itineraries and airfare, any special offers or Viking Air Plus services
  • There is no fee for this service
  • If you pay by echeck, you can receive a savings on your travel costs. Ask for details at time of booking.

Please note: echecks must be drawn against a US bank account; echecks from money market accounts are not permitted. If you are traveling within 21 days, echeck payments cannot be accepted and cannot be made by third parties (someone not traveling).

Other restrictions may apply; call 866-984-5464 for details.

Enjoy the convenience of paying for your trip by echeck (also known as EFT or electronic funds transfer).

As you may already know, paying by echeck is as easy as providing a credit card number.

You may make payments by echeck in My Viking Journey.

echeck.jpg

Has anyone used this?

Pay by echeck and Save

• You may use echeck to pay for your Viking cruise or cruisetour, and for airfare. Every dollar paid for cruise, air, taxes, fees or surcharges can be paid by echeck, including regular-priced itineraries and airfare, any special offers or Viking Air Plus services
  • If you pay by echeck, you can receive a savings on your travel costs. Ask for details at time of booking.

Please note: echecks must be drawn against a US bank account; echecks from money market accounts are not permitted. If you are traveling within 21 days, echeck payments cannot be accepted and cannot be made by third parties (someone not traveling). Other restrictions may apply; call 866-984-5464 for details.

Enjoy the convenience of paying for your trip by echeck (also known as EFT or electronic funds transfer). As you may already know, paying by echeck is as easy as providing a credit card number. You may make payments by echeck in My Viking Journey.

echeck.jpg

Has anyone used this?

Used it 3 times.

Painless.Only issue I've ever had was using a credit card. That was a mess.

Pay by echeck and Save

• You may use echeck to pay for your Viking cruise or cruisetour, and for airfare.
  • Every dollar paid for cruise, air, taxes, fees or surcharges can be paid by echeck, including regular-priced itineraries and airfare, any special offers or Viking Air Plus services

Please note: echecks must be drawn against a US bank account; echecks from money market accounts are not permitted. If you are traveling within 21 days, echeck payments cannot be accepted and cannot be made by third parties (someone not traveling).

Other restrictions may apply; call 866-984-5464 for details.

Enjoy the convenience of paying for your trip by echeck (also known as EFT or electronic funds transfer).

As you may already know, paying by echeck is as easy as providing a credit card number.

You may make payments by echeck in My Viking Journey.

echeck.jpg

Has anyone used this?

Yes and it was easy. We figured the discount was a bigger benefit than the rewards in our card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get 3% back on travel with my Citi Costco Visa card,

so 3.3% isn't worth the trade-offs [no float, and no credit card protections]

Nice card for Costco members(we are not)

However, looking at your signature,

we will be on the Edge January 27th &(B2B) Feb. 3rd, so

looking forward to your report.:)

I get 3% back on travel with my Citi Costco Visa card, so 3.3% isn't worth the trade-offs [no float, and no credit card protections]

Absolutely. We use our Costco Visa and .3 is not worth it. Friend who had to be flown back from a cruise is getting some help with the cost from the included insurance.