Is Bonine available on board the ship?

Twitchly

Last day before we leave, and of COURSE I’m not done packing. Close, though. But I just realized I forgot to pick up any Bonine. Does Viking offer it on the ship?

I’d rather avoid Dramamine, which knocks me out. Ginger pills are packed ...

Not Bonine I don't think but the generic stuff called mezacline (forgive the spelling). You have plenty of time however to pick something up at a Barcelona pharmacy. There are plenty of them in the city. I forgot to pack razors and had no trouble buying them today.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Not Bonine I don't think but the generic stuff called mezacline (forgive the spelling). You have plenty of time however to pick something up at a Barcelona pharmacy. There are plenty of them in the city. I forgot to pack razors and had no trouble buying them today.

Thanks! If it’s on the ship, that’s fine. I doubt I’ll need it but it’s nice to know it’s there.

Just checked, and Bonine is apparently known as Navicalm or Chiclida in Spain.

I shopped in the pharmacy at the World Trade Center shopping area and thought it was a bit over priced (lus it does not show up on Google maps).

There are two pharmacies along Las Ramblas, near La Boqueria on the opposite side of the street, about a block apart. It is also possible that you will be able to buy it in the Carrefours Market on Las Ramblas (and probably a better price than the two pharmacies). The Carrefours is on the same side of the street as La Boqueria, closer to Plaza Cataluña. It has a nice section of shampoos etc but I don't remember if it has what we call "over the counter" medicines (and that section may be downstairs; all of the local markets are running together in my head at this point). If you aren't going to be along Las Ramblas, just use Google maps to explore where you are going to be to find a farmacia or a supermercado.

Here is some vocabulary that will help you shop. The drug is Meclizina and it is an Antiemético y antivertiginoso and is used contra la marea. If you are uncomfortable shopping, write these words on a piece of paper and just show them to the store clerks. Smile, look desperate and say "por fa-vor" (please) and "gracias" (thank you) a lot and you will do fine.

Meclizine is the active ingredient. Bonine is a brand name. For anyone interested, you can get a 100 tablet bottle on Amazon which is much cheaper than buying Bonine. I used to buy it at Target but it became too expensive for them to carry. Here is a link to it. I hope that I am allowed to post it. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+sickness+pills&sprefix=travel+sicknes%2Caps%2C268&crid=2SS86ZLCAISSV

Meclizine is the active ingredient. Bonine is a brand name. For anyone interested, you can get a 100 tablet bottle on Amazon which is much cheaper than buying Bonine. I used to buy it at Target but it became too expensive for them to carry. Here is a link to it. I hope that I am allowed to post it. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+sickness+pills&sprefix=travel+sicknes%2Caps%2C268&crid=2SS86ZLCAISSV
I wonder what happened that made Bonine so expensive now. It used to be cheap. I am so glad that I inexplicably don't get seasick anymore (Not that I miss it haha!)

I shopped in the pharmacy at the World Trade Center shopping area and thought it was a bit over priced (lus it does not show up on Google maps).

There are two pharmacies along Las Ramblas, near La Boqueria on the opposite side of the street, about a block apart. It is also possible that you will be able to buy it in the Carrefours Market on Las Ramblas (and probably a better price than the two pharmacies). The Carrefours is on the same side of the street as La Boqueria, closer to Plaza Cataluña. It has a nice section of shampoos etc but I don't remember if it has what we call "over the counter" medicines (and that section may be downstairs; all of the local markets are running together in my head at this point). If you aren't going to be along Las Ramblas, just use Google maps to explore where you are going to be to find a farmacia or a supermercado.

Here is some vocabulary that will help you shop. The drug is Meclizina and it is an Antiemético y antivertiginoso and is used contra la marea. If you are uncomfortable shopping, write these words on a piece of paper and just show them to the store clerks. Smile, look desperate and say "por fa-vor" (please) and "gracias" (thank you) a lot and you will do fine.

Great info, thanks!

I’ve plugged a few phrases into the Google translate app. What a handy thing that is. Type in the English, select a target language, tap the play button, and out comes your phrase in robotic Spanish or Norwegian or whatever! No idea if it’s accurate, but it’s fun.

However, I think even I could say “Antiemético.” :)

Twitchly, there are pharmacies and supermercado stores scattered all over Barcelona. You shouldn’t have any problems locating one. Have a fantastic trip.

And ditto my thank you on the great Bonine off brand tip. I was not aware of this!

I use Bonine for the same reason. It doesn’t even have to be a cruise but a back seat on a Winding road! On a cruise though, Bonine and ginger is my go-to because the pharma alternative doesn’t set well.

Because of this thread, I now know that I just never did the homework for this generic alternative and will absolutely look into this.

To OP...have you ever tried wrist (sea) bands? I wear them whenever the ship is moving. They work for me, and I'm definitely prone to motion sickness. I don't care for either Bonine or Dramamine, but will use it if I feel the wrist bands aren't working well enough. Having Meniere's, I'm fairly used to feeling sort of lightheaded and dizzy at times anyway, and so also really rely on an essential oils product called "Divertigo"...just a few drops rubbed in behind the ear. Again, no drowsiness.

And ditto my thank you on the great Bonine off brand tip. I was not aware of this!

You're welcome. Unfortunately, our daughter and grand kids need it in our mountains of CO. Those windy roads get them every time. I am never without it.

Ok, if you forget, on board head to the clothing shop. Ok, I forgot the name. Walk straight back to the wall. Immediately turn Left. In a small area is your need. :) Just in case...

Wonderful! Thanks! Saves me from hunting for it in Barcelona today in the middle of the demonstration they’re having.

Yes, I brought sea bands, too. And two kinds of ginger. It’s our first real cruise so who knows? Hopefully we won’t need any of it.

Meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine. When I was a scuba diver it was the only approved medicine for motion sickness for diving as it doesn't make you AS drowsy. I bought it at a local chain for about $5 for 100 tabs. You usually need to ask at the pharmacy counter and they will get it from their mysterious back room. Works ok and nearly a lifetime supply for a couple bucks.

Y'all are so fortunate you are able to take it and not sleep your way through the cruise. The only time we took it my husband took it first in the evening prior to dinner and I found him sprawled across the bed. I decided I'd take it also and we woke up the next morning. The stuff put us out cold....but whose complaining, it was better than feeling like we were! Ginger worked ok...not completely, but we found we had to suck on it all the time otherwise it didn't work and our mouths got tired from sucking on ginger!

It’s official: no Bonine onboard. Just Dramamine. We’re having “moderate to rough” seas today and staggering around like drunken sailors. Heard a few interesting dish crashes earlier. (Just heard another.) I’m wearing sea bands and taking ginger capsules, and I feel mostly fine, thank God. But if we do cruise again, I’ll bring Bonine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I've added it to my Amazon Shopping List.

Yes, I used to get Meclizine chewable tabs from WalGreen, but much cheaper from Amazon. We've been very happy buying them there. When we were on the Star last July for the Homelands cruise, it got a kinda rough in the North Sea. I get motion sick very easily, but I took the Meclizine had no problems.

It’s official: no Bonine onboard. Just Dramamine. We’re having “moderate to rough” seas today and staggering around like drunken sailors. Heard a few interesting dish crashes earlier. (Just heard another.) I’m wearing sea bands and taking ginger capsules, and I feel mostly fine, thank God. But if we do cruise again, I’ll bring Bonine.

Keeping food in your stomach also helps--apples, crackers, whatever, but every few hours.

Keeping food in your stomach also helps--apples, crackers, whatever, but every few hours.

All too easy to do on a cruise! Boy, do they feed you on these ships. Yesterday I felt a strange sensation and realized it was hunger. First time in quite a while.

I’m now a firm believer in ginger capsules for tummy upset. Great stuff.