Gems of the Java Seas--a blogger writes about Seabourn Encore

SLSD

Oh thank you SKP946, I thought it was a fun read for two reasons: 1. it was written by a first time Seabourn passenger and 2. She is younger than the usual Seabourn passenger.

Possibly. I just thought it was a nice piece with gorgeous photos. Also, if you read carefully, she also says how disappointed she was when the itinerary was changed as the port that was cancelled was the one she wanted to see the most.

The key word in marketing today is “influencers”. This is particularly of interest to companies trying to sway the opinion of millennials. The company gets a blogger who they think of as an influencer to try their product (if comped it should be noted for the sake of integrity) and that blogger will in turn blog about it. I would hope that when a company does that they check the Alexa scores of the blogger to be sure they can deliver. I have no problem when a cruise line comps a blogger/Travel writer/editor. I have a problem when that fact does not appear in their blog/article/review.

I have no problem when a cruise line comps a blogger/Travel writer/editor. I have a problem when that fact does not appear in their blog/article/review.

Absolutely spot on.

I can't. help but see it as poorly disguised advertising and it tends to give me a negative opinion about the company doing this. It's particularly disappointing when it's a business that I like a lot.

I think the blog is an exercise in self promotion (according to the link, the writer is a commercial photographer and professional blogger) and it sounds like she was on Seabourn on one of their "travel for free" or heavily discounted arrangements offered to the very few in return for favourable comment. Fairly standard current day marketing techniques for both parties I guess.

All that aside, it was a nice read and the photos were lovely.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks like an ad to me, ergo:

Testimonials and endorsements must reflect the typical experiences of consumers, unless the ad clearly and conspicuously states otherwise. A statement that not all consumers will get the same results is not enough to qualify a claim. Testimonials and endorsements can't be used to make a claim that the advertiser itself cannot substantiate.

Connections between an endorser and the company that are unclear or unexpected to a customer also must be disclosed, whether they have to do with a financial arrangement for a favorable endorsement, a position with the company, or stock ownership. Expert endorsements must be based on appropriate tests or evaluations performed by people that have mastered the subject matter.

Source: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/advertising-marketing-internet-rules-road