Rum Runners?

Babyberger

Let us recall here, that a few years ago, there was NO rules against bringing your drinks of choice onto the Disney Ships. When we took our Fantasy cruise three years ago, there was a fellow on the mini bus with us (from off port parking) carrying a case of beer and a box of what looked like a half a dozen bottles of liquor and wine. He told me that he had dropped off his family and luggage, gone to the liquor store and stocked up, parked the car and was on the way to the ship. Looked good to me. So, current rules say you cannot bring on liquor, but a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer is OK. So if someone wants to bring liquor on, there are LOTS of ways to do it. Rum Runners are one of those, but I would suggest that you pack them in a zip lock bag, so if they puncture they do NOT leak into someone else's luggage.

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Seriously, bringing a couple of liters of alcohol on isn't going to cause the ship to sink like some people believe. We drink certain things and used Rum runners to bring it on. Had an occasional drink and still spent plenty on the ship.

I may have even pushed the down button on the elevator and gone down a floor to get on an elevator during a busy time.

The people that do not wash their hands after using the bathrooms (there was plenty) or the extremely unhealthy people that decide to cruise (there was plenty and if you are risk for evacuation put themselves in danger) are way bigger offenders than a couple bags of liquor.

Seriously, bringing a couple of liters of alcohol on isn't going to cause the ship to sink like some people believe. We drink certain things and used Rum runners to bring it on. Had an occasional drink and still spent plenty on the ship.

I may have even pushed the down button on the elevator and gone down a floor to get on an elevator during a busy time.

The people that do not wash their hands after using the bathrooms (there was plenty) or the extremely unhealthy people that decide to cruise (there was plenty and if you are risk for evacuation put themselves in danger) are way bigger offenders than a couple bags of liquor.

I'm not going to dispute which rude, dangerous, or unhealthy actions are worse than others. What you do or do not sneak past the DCL baggage checks and your reasons for doing so are between you and Disney. However, having been the victim of a container of wine in someone's luggage that burst, leaked, or in some other way managed to wet the contents of my suitcase, I can assure you that it was no fun. And if you've see how the luggage is handled, it is no wonder that this happens. If you insist on "smuggling," please assure that it does not cause damage to the belongings of other guests! And know that if your contraband is caught harming the contents of someone else's bags, you will be charged for the costs of laundry or dry cleaning of those items.

• 4 months later...
If you know how to successfully take Rum Runners on a cruise, then taking them on a Disney cruise would be no different than RCCL or any other line. Disney doesn't use any advanced security screening compared to other lines. Not that rum runners would be detectable anyway if they did. I'm not really sure how rum runners are easily detected other than opening up bags, because they hide so easily on x-rays.

Actually rum runners and any other type of container used to carry alcohol can and if the cruise line wants, will be detected. The cruise line will make the decision if they want to expend the resources to detect contraband, if Disney wants to they will indeed find it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone. We have our rum runners from when we cruised RCCL, but now we are going on DCL for the first time. Has anyone successfully brought rum runners on DCL? We used to pack them in our checked bags, stuffed into DH's shoes, is this still the best way?

Everyone has their own opinion on this. My philosophy is that I am paying alot of money for the cruise and I'm not going to go through the trouble of breaking the rules and risk the embarrassment of being caught it is just not worth it. Yes the drinks can add up on your bill but in my opinion if I have to worry about that I probably couldn't afford the cruise.

MJ