Stuff to do in Sydney

Any restaurants in the Harbor and Rocks area that one might recommend...not fine dining , but good wholesome food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends n your tastes.

Mrs Gut likes Ribs and Burgers on the corner of George st and Hickson Rd (and she is a vegetarian)

If you can get in there is the hotel training restaurant, William Blue.

After getting off a 28 day cruise and eating a wee bit too much, down home food would be great ... although my husband would love one night of a fine dining restaurant.
If all else fails, there are a couple of places at Circular Quay that seem to have been around forever (although in fact, only a little bit longer than I've been visiting Sydney): City Extra and Cafe Rossini.

To pick a fine dining restaurant, there are worse methods than to work down the list of hatted places: https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/good-food-guides/good-food-guide-2018-full-list-of-hats-20171016-gz1ubs - obviously, only the NSW lists are relevant, and you'll have to work out independently where each restaurant is. But quite a few of those are in the Circular Quay/Rocks area; I think that most of them would be likely to demonstrate just how poor and "manufactured" cruise ship food tends to be - even in the best restaurants on the best ships.

We are at the end of a 5 day stay in Sydney post-cruise on Solstice. Here are some tips and thoughts form the tourist perspective:

-Sydney is very expensive - be prepared! Even with the current 28% exchange rate (US) it is expensive.

-We are at the Marriott Sydney Harbour - very well located on Circular Quay- but expensive.

-Circular Quay has great access to trains and ferries, and discount tours too. Easy walk to the Opera House and the Royal Botanical Gardens. Also a quick ferry ride to the Sydney Taronga Zoo.

-You can do a Hop-on Hop-off ferry through Captain Cook Cruises for 2-days and get a good zoo discount.

-Sydney ferry Opal Card available directly via vending machine at the CQ Wharfs. Or at any local store.

-Don't pay full admission price at the door for anything. Buy tickets online or ask your concierge.

-Directly next to CQ is the Rocks area - we have mostly gone there to eat and shop.

-Visit Darling Harbour by ferry. We went to the three attractions there (Wax musuem, aquarium, small zoo). They can be purchased together at a discount package - but do it in advance and pick up at the window.

-Good freshly brewed beer in the Rocks at Lord Nelson or Endeavor brew pubs.

- We had very good evening meals at Munich (German brew house), Alfredo's Italian (next to Marriott), and at the dining room of the Lord Nelson Hotel. Go to The Push for good bar food. Hard to beat the two Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe's in the area - serving breakfast too!

Thank you for this great review...we too will be staying for a 5 day post cruise at the Marriott. Planned a full day tour to the Blue Mountains, seeing Evita at the Opera House and will certainly look into your recommendations..

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. We will have umbrellas and raincoats and expect to have a wonderful visit!

lol We never leave home without our rain ponchos.

Is this to protect you from the rain or is there some other reason for the protection?

I can think of another reason - have a look at the THIRD post on the thread below:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362723

• 4 weeks later...

Federation Cliff Walk. (Bondi - Watsons Bay)

Have a day in Sydney coming up.

Looking for advise regarding the best point to join the cliff walk to maximise being on a track and minimising time on a road.

Planning on Bus 380 from Circular Quay thru Bondi towards Watson Bay.

Get off the bus on Military Rd & Raleigh Rd to join the walk at the South end of Raleigh Reserve.

Does this seem to be the best point to join the walk ?

From there it looks to be 5km to The Gap.

Will come back to CQ on the ferry.

Thanks.

We will be arriving on a Viking cruise ship...does anyone know if from the port we can walk and do of the neat things you are talking about? Is the port industrial?

Loved the list of things to do!

Are you on the Viking Orion? What is the date of you port visit?

It looks like the Viking cruises primarily use the White Bay Terminal which is farther away than the Overseas Cruise Terminal on Circular Quay. Locals can give you more info but I doubt many attractions are walkable from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Yes the Orion in December. We will have one full day to do things there.
The Sydney cruise schedule shows that you will be docking at the White Bay Cruise Terminal and attractions won’t be walkable. There is apparently a ferry that you can take to the Baranagaroo Wharf which is a one mile walk from Circular Quay. You can also connect to ferries to other attractions. Locals should be able to give you more information.

Thanks so much for your help. So the ferries you mentioned are a walkable distance from where we dock? That would be an easy thing to do if so. We aren't into renting cars and taking off on our own, we'd rather do something like hop on a ferry that would take us to something we'd like to see.

I don't know why I didn't think of looking that up online! Appears that docking area is very suitable to roaming around and seeing some beautiful views. The photos show a beautiful view of the Sydney Opera House. I'm guessing there will be ample opportunities for leaving that area to do things as well as strolling around that area.

Thanks so much for your help. So the ferries you mentioned are a walkable distance from where we dock? That would be an easy thing to do if so. We aren't into renting cars and taking off on our own, we'd rather do something like hop on a ferry that would take us to something we'd like to see.
This is the information I found about the ferry.

http://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-harbour-cruises/ferries/white-bay-ferry/white-bay-city-ferry/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The White Bay Terminal has some great pictures that show where the ferry is in relationship to the ships. You can see them going around in front of the Opera House.

You've really gotten me on to something I had not yet done in prep for this trip. I'm looking at all the port terminals for the trip. Unfortunately there are not a lot of good comments about Melbourne, but there still appears to be some nice things to do. We'll take a ship excursion for part of the time and I think there is area to roam on our own also.

I think Auckland and Sydney where we have one night stays, have excellent ports and we will enjoy them both.

Hi All,

I am from Sydney and figured I might just put up some options for people to do when visiting our city

1. Visit Manly on the ferry

2. Walk up to botanic gardens

3. Take the ferry to Darling Harbour

4. walk across the harbour bridge

5. go up Centrepoint tower

6. Check our the older buildings

7. Visit Haigh's Chocolates (you can also do this in Melbourne and Adelaide) it is up George St - you wont regret it

8. Visit The Strand Arcade

9. Get lost in The Rocks

10. Want to see Aussie animals and have 4 hours- Wildlife World at Darling Harbour- excellent display and the biggest wombats I have ever seen.

----that is just 10 (there is heaps more)

Other Sydney-siders what would you add?

Got 9 Days there.....stay in the Rocks?