The little details

elchichicuilote

One of the things I love about Disney is all the attention they pay to little details. For one example, here's a photo of the carpet in the corridor near our stateroom:

Corridor.jpg

Some things to notice:

• North on the globe is always toward the bow of the ship (helpful if you ever get disoriented)
  • There are red things near Anaheim, Orlando, and Paris.
  • There are four ships on the map (I don't believe they update them for the ships' current locations, but I didn't really check)
  • The ship's name is spelled out in the nautical flags above and below the globe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags

There are other nautical flags around the ship. If you have kids who like a puzzle, print out a chart of those flags and their letters and bring it with you on your cruise. Challenge your kids to decode all the messages they can find.

Does anyone else have favorite little details? There are plenty!

One of the things I love about Disney is all the attention they pay to little details. For one example, here's a photo of the carpet in the corridor near our stateroom:

Corridor.jpg

Some things to notice:

• North on the globe is always toward the bow of the ship (helpful if you ever get disoriented)
  • There are four ships on the map (I don't believe they update them for the ships' current locations, but I didn't really check)
  • The ship's name is spelled out in the nautical flags above and below the globe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags

There are other nautical flags around the ship. If you have kids who like a puzzle, print out a chart of those flags and their letters and bring it with you on your cruise. Challenge your kids to decode all the messages they can find.

Does anyone else have favorite little details? There are plenty!

What a great idea to print out the signal flags to be able to "translate" them around the ship.

They're supposed to be castles, to match up with the wall behind Guest Services and the lampshades in the guest rooms, but they really do look like red blobs on the carpet don't they!

You were kidding about updating the ship's locations on the map, right? These rugs aren't virtual projections. :')

Well, the ship IS called the "Magic". All I'm saying is that I wasn't watching all night to see if someone came along and re-sewed anything to make an update.

If you have kids or grandkids of the appropriate age, the seeds of an interesting story might be found there...

WDW and DCL are well known for such attention to detail. One WDW location has 47 colors of paint used to paint "brown" rocks in order to make them look natural.

The "Art of the Theme Ship" tour used to point out many of these details--haven't done it for years, so don't know if that's still true.

You were kidding about updating the ship's locations on the map, right? These rugs aren't virtual projections. :')

thanks for the chuckle!!!!!!. I agree with you what an odd comment for carpet.

But when I go on the Disney Fantasy in November, I will looks for this carpet. So thanks to the OP for showing this but funny comment on updating ships.

• 1 month later...

During a walking tour of the Fantasy, I *think* we were told the four ships on the carpet map were supposed to represent where the four Disney ships were at the time the Fantasy was launched.

There are also five(?) pointed stars on the carpet in stateroom hallways. The top point of the star always points the way FWD. The bottom two points on the stars point AFT.