Dreamliner (787) Business class: Air Canada vs El Al seat comparison ?

GeezerCouple

We are considering a trip to Israel, and are trying to decide between J (business class) in AC (Air Canada) or El Al (LY).

The seating in both is 1-2-1, but obviously the seats/pods are not identical.

For one thing, on LY, the seats are "offset" left/right in alternate rows, whereas on AC, it appears that all rows have identical positions.

I know the LY 787 is relatively new, but has anyone flown their Dreamliner J class *and* also flown on the Dreamliner AC seats?

Preference? Differences?

Thanks!

Note: We are not interested in other aircraft for these two airlines.

GC

We were on the Dreamliner, but in economy so I can't comment on the seats you are asking about. But let me tell you, the economy seats are horrible....no padding...tight....entertainment boxes where your feet should go, which causes you to have your feet and hips out of alignment. DH and I said it should be called the "nightmare liner" not Dreamliner.

You could get some good info on the seats you are investigating at seatguru dot com. Good luck.

We were on the Dreamliner, but in economy so I can't comment on the seats you are asking about. But let me tell you, the economy seats are horrible....no padding...tight....entertainment boxes where your feet should go, which causes you to have your feet and hips out of alignment. DH and I said it should be called the "nightmare liner" not Dreamliner.

You could get some good info on the seats you are investigating at seatguru dot com. Good luck.

Uh, thank you.

The question was about Business class specifically.

And... the information about the differences is precisely from SeatGuru, and why I asked the question. SeatGuru shows exactly the "differences" I mentioned, but that doesn't help much if what I'm seeking is first hand experience comparing the two seating types.

GC

I know the LY 787 is relatively new, but has anyone flown their Dreamliner J class *and* also flown on the Dreamliner AC seats?

We were on the Dreamliner... the economy seats are horrible

CasaM, were you on the AC Dreamliner or the LY Dreamliner? Or a Dreamliner on some other airliner? It wasn't clear from your answer which airline you were referring to and that matters. When airlines order aircraft, they typically have various choices of seat type, seat arrangement etc. which they specify, and then the manufacturer then outfits the aircraft to those specifications. i.e. all Dreamliners are not created equal. So for others following, it would be helpful to know which airline you are referring to in your description.

Sorry GC....I knew I wasn't answering your exact question, but when I heard dreamliner, it reminded me of our bad experience and I thought I would share it just as a point of info for anyone else reading about the dreamliner.

Of course, now I know I am completely out of my league in even commenting about specific airliners....I didn't even know, as waterbug points out, that there were differences. In any event, the airline we were on was British Air in 2015. I will now bow out of the conversation and let other more knowledgable folks take over!

Sorry GC....I knew I wasn't answering your exact question, but when I heard dreamliner, it reminded me of our bad experience and I thought I would share it just as a point of info for anyone else reading about the dreamliner.

Of course, now I know I am completely out of my league in even commenting about specific airliners....I didn't even know, as waterbug points out, that there were differences. In any event, the airline we were on was British Air in 2015. I will now bow out of the conversation and let other more knowledgable folks take over!

Wait a minute...don't bow out. Lots of folks think that if you've seen one aircraft, you've seen them all. Easy to make the assumption. You were just uninformed - nothing wrong with that, and in fact, think of it as another step in your "education" about air travel. We all started at zero and that gone up from there.

So thanks for the data point regarding BA's 787. And please continue to add information to our discussions. And ask any questions you might have so as to become a more informed consumer.

Thank you FlyerTalker, and yes, you are right. After that experience, I started looking at not only times for my future flights but which aircraft was scheduled, and then doing research on that. You learn so much on CC and I appreciate everyone's input for sure.

Feel free to post your questions any time you want to improve your knowledge. Always better to ask in advance, rather than the confirmation questions we get....such as "I have this connection booked....will I really be able to make it?"

Yes...there is far more to air travel than just the price. Aircraft configurations can make or break your experience. Along with many other factors.