Internet

cruisesoon

Has AT&T added Seabourn to its cruise ship coverage? It was not included when I checked last year.

For port intensive cruises, I do better using my $10/day unlimited international plan (AT&T) and then turning my phone into a hotspot to allow my other devices to connect. ThIs obviously only works when in/near port when I can get a local cellular signal. I tend to find I am usually too busy otherwise to be online anyhow.

Yes, AT&T specifically mentions Seabourn for its cruise ship coverage.

Very simple, Seabourn simply pays for more satellite bandwidth and/or purchases the newest systems that provide increased speeds. The bandwidth is available, somebody just needs to purchase it.

I was told recently (where I had the worst speeds ever on Seabourn) that the ships need a third dish to keep locked onto the satellite :rolleyes:

I believe it has more to do with purchasing bandwidth. Eight months ago, speed was good enough (for me). Since November it has been bad and getting worse. It's not like the crew that has to file constant reports to Seattle does not notice the difference.

I believe it has more to do with purchasing bandwidth. Eight months ago, speed was good enough (for me). Since November it has been bad and getting worse. It's not like the crew that has to file constant reports to Seattle does not notice the difference.

We were on Quest last year from early November to late December from Miami to Antarctica and thought internet was excellent except for a couple of days with no connection at all which was understandable with the mountains in Antarctica. Think the 3 satellite comment is a red herring. Each dish can only communicate with a single satellite so have no idea what a third dish can to to improve internet. From experience on another cruise line the norm is 2 internet/tv dishes to cover all of the tv channels and internet.

Lots of variables with Wifi at-sea.

The fundamental satellite technology is different between cruise lines. Switching technologies is a big investment and not an overnight job. There's no hurry as long as the ships are full. On-board infrastructure is also a challenge. A metal box with structural steel everywhere is not the best environment to reliably deliver wifi. Years ago - when the ship was designed - it was "good enough."

Seabourn doesn't slow it down on purpose. They are handicapped by hardware limitations that do not exist or have been overcome on other ships, as well as their bandwidth contract with the provider. Internet is probably a money-maker for Seabourn, but they don't get the satellite usage for free either. They can either bundle it in the fare, or break it out. Why pay for something you don't use? The VALUE of it is another thread entirely. Do they "overcharge?" That's up to you...

By the way, some ships (maybe all of them by now) already use two antennas, with a 3rd as a backup. This is about keeping the satellite beam precisely located - but it will not increase bandwidth beyond what you (Carnival) paid for.

Seabourn doesn't slow it down on purpose. They are handicapped by hardware limitations that do not exist or have been overcome on other ships.

There are no excuses. If Celebrity can get super fast WiFi installed on its 18 year old M class ships so can Seabourn on its 7 year old O class ships. Especially given the much higher fares Seabourn passengers are paying.

There are a number of companies now who rent GSM modems which work pretty much anywhere. You tell them where you're going, pay a daily rate, you get a modem which works anywhere there is cell coverage (shoreside, not ocean) and you connect your phone/laptop/ipad to it via very localised WiFi. As we're Singapore-based we use "changi recommends" but there are lots of others. We've found this the easiest/cheapest way to have travelling internet, you can have multiple devices connected at the same time, there is a daily data cap (generous) although after you pass it the whole thing just slows down, it doesn't give up.

We've found this to be invaluable when in port and wandering around town. Having Google Maps available when you're 5 miles from the ship and trying to find that chocolatier you read about on TripAdvisor it's great to have GSM based internet at a fixed, low, cost.

It doesn't help you at sea at all. But most of our itineraries recently have been pretty port-heavy.

I just get a SIM card for my iPad/iPhone for the area I will be traveling in. This works best when you are traveling in an area such as New Zealand or the UK. I actually was able to use it on the ship when we were cruising as apparently we were closer to land then I thought.

It was great to use it onland and onboard.

There are no excuses. If Celebrity can get super fast WiFi installed on its 18 year old M class ships so can Seabourn on its 7 year old O class ships. Especially given the much higher fares Seabourn passengers are paying.

Actually - no. Celebrity - being part of the RCL family - was able to use the "new at the time" O3b satellites - via contract - which carnival did not have access to at any price. That's a pretty good excuse. Carnival does not build or own satellites, no matter what the Seabourn fare. RCL - at some level - helped out with getting O3b to "fly" and so, apparently, had the right-of-way. The "old" satellites are simply not as fast.

New developments in the past year, though, led to SES - who is partnered with Carnival - to BUY O3b - and now, eventually, I expect Seabourn will benefit from that, pending some serious hardware upgrades, and then they, too, will have very fast wifi.

I still wouldn't expect the price to do down until there's an obvious pattern of unfilled cabins due to expensive internet. I hope I'm wrong.

The cost of the internet was not an issue, but the speed was. I just got off the Quest (my first Seabourn cruise) and the internet was so slow that it did not connect properly most of the time with some sites that I needed to access and when I returned I learned that several critical emails disappeared into the ether. This issue will be critical in my decision to cruise with Seabourn again.

The cost of the internet was not an issue, but the speed was. I just got off the Quest (my first Seabourn cruise) and the internet was so slow that it did not connect properly most of the time with some sites that I needed to access and when I returned I learned that several critical emails disappeared into the ether. This issue will be critical in my decision to cruise with Seabourn again.

I think you are getting to the heart of the issue here.

The internet is not a 'nice to have' anymore. It is a 'must have' and lack of an adequate internet connection will put Seabourn at a competitive disadvantage going forward.

As the poster I quoted said, it isn't about the cost. The internet has become a critical component of daily life and lack of internet access can, for some, have serious financial consequences. Even though we are retired, the guys who manage our money generally communicate with us through email. We need to be able to receive those emails in a timely manner, we need to be able to access any links that are embedded in them and we need to be able to respond, also in a timely manner.

That is the way of the world nowadays and Seabourn are going to have to get with the program.

If the internet on my upcoming cruise on the Ovation in May is not "up to speed" it will probably be my last cruise on Seabourn. I am still working and need fast and accessible internet so I can work while away. Viking Ocean Cruise line is able to provide far superior internet at no additional charge for its 930 passengers. If they can do it, why can't Seabourn.

Roger

Another question. We are each entitled to 4 hours internet as platinum members of the Seabourn Club. Is there a reduced rate rest of cruise package when the 4 hours runs out?

No, not to my knowledge.

I used to just buy 2 hours for $20, if you work offline and only go online to send/receive its amazing how long 2 hours will last; up to a week for me.:)

Seabourn wifi will not compare favorably with certain other lines until they invest in the hardware. Maybe it's already planned at the next dry-dock.

It's not just a switch someone flips or a service provider they cut ties with. It's an investment that perhaps Viking already did, and Carnival is presently doing, one ship at a time. They will eventually reach Seabourn.

Seabourn wifi will not compare favorably with certain other lines until they invest in the hardware. Maybe it's already planned at the next dry-dock.

It's not just a switch someone flips or a service provider they cut ties with. It's an investment that perhaps Viking already did, and Carnival is presently doing, one ship at a time. They will eventually reach Seabourn.

As Seabourn is Carnival’s upmarket line I suspect it will be at the end of the queue as they will consider that those who pay the most for a cruise are those who can best afford the high Wi-fi charges.

I don't know how Seabourn can call itself all-inclusive until it becomes competitive with Regent and Silversea by offering complimentary internet. I am on Ovation this fall, and if there was ever an opportunity, this was it, to start with their new ship. Seabourn's excuses are embarrassing. I've got a solution: give everyone a $399 SBC for every sailing over 14 days to ease the pain. Nickel 'n dimin' is SO Carnival!

It's not complimentary - it's wrapped in the price of the fare. The boats don't own the satellites but have to pay the rent just like anybody else - I'm not sure where else it would come from. Nothing is free.

Seabourn gives you an opportunity to "not pay" for what you "don't need," just like laundry and massages.

While many people now "require" a connection so they can "work" on vacation, those folks are in the minority of Seabourn passengers (who are mostly retired).

I could happily go a whole cruise with zero phone or internet, and sometimes wish other folks would too. I'm sure I'm not alone.

(I'm not saying that there aren't people who need it - there are - I'm just saying it hasn't affected Seabourn's bottom line yet.)

It's not complimentary - it's wrapped in the price of the fare. The boats don't own the satellites but have to pay the rent just like anybody else - I'm not sure where else it would come from. Nothing is free.

Seabourn gives you an opportunity to "not pay" for what you "don't need," just like laundry and massages.

While many people now "require" a connection so they can "work" on vacation, those folks are in the minority of Seabourn passengers (who are mostly retired).

I could happily go a whole cruise with zero phone or internet, and sometimes wish other folks would too. I'm sure I'm not alone.

(I'm not saying that there aren't people who need it - there are - I'm just saying it hasn't affected Seabourn's bottom line yet.)

I just exited a 72 day cruise on Sojourn. The vast majority of passengers use the WiFi constantly. According to many senior officers I spoke to, it’s the number ne complaint...by far.

I heard about it constantly at dinner...the damn slow intermittent WiFi.

Seabourn competes with other cruise lines that offer faster and more reliable internet. It’s time for them to upgrade their system, and they know it.

Kevnzworld,

I was happy to meet you on the early 55 day segment of your 72 day cruise and hope to see you again on a Seabourn ship, whenever that may be.

I agree that the internet speed and dependability should be improved to meet what the competition offers and what is available on the comms market. Our next Seabourn cruise is 7 months away. Let's see what happens by then.

Happy and healthy sailing!