Crystal or avalon???

etravel

So torn!!! They are both pretty much the same price, actually Crystal is a bit less!!! I know we would love either, but any thoughts? These are both Danube cruises...Crystal round-trip Vienna, or Avalon from Nurumburg to Budapest...they stop at several of the same places...It's the Crystal Mozart..or the Avalon Imagary II, so both great..Crystal is basically all-inclusive and of course Avalon is beer/wine lunch/dinner included.....Oh my WHAT to choose!!!!!!

And wonder if air would be easier to get into Vienna that into Nur. and out of Budapest?!

I've done 2 cruise on the Crystal Mozart. It is fabulous. I don't know why you would consider booking a cruise on a line that offers fewer benefits for more money. Also, consider transportation to the ship - a round trip to the same port (Vienna) might be cheaper than one that begins and ends in 2 ports, one of which (Nuremberg would not offer the number of flights).

yes, that's true seems dumb to pay the same or more for less!!! Just have really always heard great things about Avalon so that was the consideration there...but with Crystal's very competitive pricing, makes them hard to pass up! We like nice things and have done several mid-range ocean cruises, like Royal Carib., NCL, Carnival..and doing the Haven on NCL this May....but hoping Crystal isn't too stuffy....I am sure not and and we love to dress up at night so that's not a worry either way!!!

yes, that's true seems dumb to pay the same or more for less!!! Just have really always heard great things about Avalon so that was the consideration there...but with Crystal's very competitive pricing, makes them hard to pass up! We like nice things and have done several mid-range ocean cruises, like Royal Carib., NCL, Carnival..and doing the Haven on NCL this May....but hoping Crystal isn't too stuffy....I am sure not and and we love to dress up at night so that's not a worry either way!!!

River cruises are casual. No dressing up in the evening on Crystal. If all you've done is Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean (will admit that Royal Caribbean is all I've done of those three) you will be blown away by Crystal. The difference is by magnitudes. Book the Crystal, NOW!

We just returned from our first Avalon cruise. It was great. Loved the cabin, food was good, crew was exceptional. That said, if I could get on a Crystal cruise for less or even slightly more? I'd run run run to book it.

We just booked our first river cruise, so I can't speak from experience, but I booked Crystal because (a) it is truly all-inclusive, (b)there are no underwater cabins (at least not on Mahler), so the least expensive one has a panoramic window (a big deal for me) and © I looked extensively at every other line and Crystal was unbeatable on price for square footage and inclusions.

Pickypicky...thanks too! I know when I have been checking, I was kind of amazed that Crystal has some really competitive pricing with the other lines...and I know the Mozart is a little older, but all of the amenities and on-board dining and cabins look very nice! And I do like the idea of truly all-inclusive and have no surprises would be a treat....

Pickypicky...thanks too! I know when I have been checking, I was kind of amazed that Crystal has some really competitive pricing with the other lines...and I know the Mozart is a little older, but all of the amenities and on-board dining and cabins look very nice! And I do like the idea of truly all-inclusive and have no surprises would be a treat....

The hull is older, but every part of the ship you will see or touch is brand new.

Daisi...

I know kind of feeling the same way..that Avalon might be a nice fit for us...and Avalon does go to Germany also on their Legendary Danube....but it's hard to not think about booking the Crystal Mozart since it's such a great rate and is all-inclusive..something that the others don't see to be...So that's what has me questioning what to do!!! And in and out of Vienna on Crystal seems like that would make for easier flight schedules as well!

Daisi...

I know kind of feeling the same way..that Avalon might be a nice fit for us...and Avalon does go to Germany also on their Legendary Danube....but it's hard to not think about booking the Crystal Mozart since it's such a great rate and is all-inclusive..something that the others don't see to be...So that's what has me questioning what to do!!! And in and out of Vienna on Crystal seems like that would make for easier flight schedules as well!

Why do you think Avalon would be a better "fit" than Crystal? I know JohnKen3 and also recommend that you read their review. Just don't see how someone who has the opportunity to get "more" for "less" to even consider the "less" for "more".

Texas Tillie....Yes you are right...I had just always had Avalon on our radar, like the idea of their panoramic suites, their active discoveries, and their overall concept and had pretty much decided on it, until I saw the early booking and great discounts on Crystal.....And yes, I read the review....it was very helpful...So now I guess I would just say a bit torn on the decision to pull the trigger for Crystal...but of course it does look really awesome and just trying to make a final decision! :confused:

I am wondering if it's because it's the older of their new ships? And they are having more promos on it instead of the newest ones...It goes round-trip from Vienna so seems like a nice itinerary, although it doesn't go into Germany like some of the other Danube cruises...So maybe that has something to do with it as well...And I think they are having awesome early booking deals since we aren't going until June of 2019!

Have you looked at the deck plans and pictures of Crystal Mozart? This is the unique double-wide ship that feels more like a small ocean ship than the typical cramped river ship. Also you will read many reviews that say "of course food on river cruises is never as good as on ocean cruises" – and then see the Crystal River reviews that say "the food is as good as on Crystal ocean ships." I am a big fan of AMA, but I have to admit that Crystal is raising the bar for river cruising dramatically. [And AMA is copying the double-wide idea from Crystal Mozart for their new AmaMagna.] I would take this Crystal offer in a NY minute!

Maybe because as a child we had a very small houseboat on the Trent-Severn waterway system, I don't find river ships to be cramped, and I was on the River Queen and River Countess, as well as the AmaDara. But then, I have never cruised on a large ocean ship, so I have nothing really to compare it to.

When I was trying to decide which line to book, I looked at all of the trips and lines. Many similar tours to many similar places.For me, it is the opportunity to spend a pretrip in Prague for 3 days. I fly into Prague for three days of sightseeing. We will be bussed to Nuremberg to catch our ship The Illumination and on into Budapest 8 days later. I will spend an Extra day in Budapest before flying out for 2 Days each in Amsterdam, Paris, and Edinburgh. I fly home on June 8 to Atlanta. I am thrilled about a side trip to Jablonik where I see the Czech Beads made and go shopping. I was thrilled to take advantage of their waiving of the single supplement. Many weeks later I got the news that they had moved me to the Royal Deck:D Nice surprise! So, It also has a Panoramic Suite, one of my trip checkoffs!! Countdown to leaving from Atlanta date is 30 days!

Texas Tillie....Yes you are right...I had just always had Avalon on our radar, like the idea of their panoramic suites, their active discoveries, and their overall concept and had pretty much decided on it, until I saw the early booking and great discounts on Crystal.....And yes, I read the review....it was very helpful...So now I guess I would just say a bit torn on the decision to pull the trigger for Crystal...but of course it does look really awesome and just trying to make a final decision! :confused:

Crystal has active excursions called Exhilarating Adventures, though the website doesn’t separate them out they’re in there. And the Mozart has ebikes onboard. What sailing date are you looking at?

NJ boy....looking at June 29th through July 6, 2019! And we would probably do a pre-night in Vienna to rest and get over jet-lag! We are doing the S1 category which is the suite with the French Balcony...Like the idea of going over 4th of July since our office would be closed over the holiday, two days don't have to take off work! And priced their pre-night in Vienna , but it was expensive ($978) so will probably do a pre-night with credit card points...and we would give up their pre-cruise transfers doing it that way but can't imagine that would be too bad! On this sailing we would also get a $200 on-board credit per person....

I had been on quite a few ocean cruises in the past, mostly with Crystal, and wasn't sure I'd enjoy river cruising. How wrong I was! My 16-day river cruise on the Crystal Mahler last year was phenomenal! The level of service was superb and the food was extraordinary, even by Crystal standards. I've signed up for another river cruise with Crystal for this year. If you want to be pampered, go with Crystal. Here is my review from last year's cruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555614

Here's another reason to favor Crystal:

On Crystal River Boats, the butlers provide a free pressing service. So you can do your own laundry in the self laundry room and the the butler to do the ironing for you.

Crystal River Boats butlers are provided to all staterooms in addition to to stateroom attendants. They ensure the free mini-bar is topped up they way you want it topped up (remove all alcohol, stock with particular types of soda, mineral water bottles sufficiently stocked up), deliver all room service (breakfast lunch dinner and any snack in between), deliver evening canapés and will undertake room related tasks. They tie bow ties should you choose to wear one. We have asked them for bits of packing materials particularly for shopping at the various stops.

Although I do wonder why anyone would need their bow tie on a river cruise [even Crystal] !!!

Here's another reason to favor Crystal:

Although I do wonder why anyone would need their bow tie on a river cruise [even Crystal] !!!

If you know John and Ken, you know that they are "spiffy" dressers and sometimes a bow tie is just the thing! :cool:

Patty

There would be no decision for me - I would do Crystal. I loved their cruise ship! Their service and food is amazing. I would expect nothing less on their river cruise.

I haven't looked at river cruises recently. What date were you looking at that the prices were competitive with Avalon?