Daytime dress code, Caribbean

melakwa1

Agreed. Wouldn’t sit out in a black top in the Caribbean. Do beware though. One day I felt very popular as I walked across the pool deck towards the Collonade for lunch. Catching a few eyes, smiles and the odd wave. Thought I’d met some people but not remembered, so carried on and smiled back. On arrival at the Collonade the senior officer chap in charge asked me in not a very friendly tone ‘what I was doing in here’? I replied meekly that ‘I was hoping to have some lunch, and hoped I wasn’t too early?’ I think the penny dropped for both of us simultaneously. I had dressed in white polo (discrete logo) and khaki shorts, almost indistinguishable to the pool staff uniform!! We had a laugh, and I hasten to add I was treated very well after that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a younger male cruiser the black polo (good quality/ discrete logo) is the male version of the little black dress. Can be worn to lunch with dress shorts, great for travel with smart jeans and jacket, and at a push acceptable with chinos and jacket to dinner. Colour wise will work with both browns and black. A few of these and white cotton SS shirts allow me, with suitably matched other items, to go cruising only ever taking hand luggage. My only caveat? The polo should be in good nick, and the collar pressed.

Well said.

Linen trousers are a great substitute for shorts.

Will someone please define "smart jeans" for my 67 year old husband? I think that concept is foreign to him. I'm trying to explain to him the different in a faded wash and a darker indigo denim. Help! He is a lawyer (now retired) used to wearing suits and such.

I were Calvin Klein T-shirts (the ones without the name garishly displayed on them), every day on a Caribbean cruise. After 6:00 pm, I wear a dress shirt.

The Seabourn Caribbean cruises are pretty casual during the days.

I were Calvin Klein T-shirts (the ones without the name garishly displayed on them), every day on a Caribbean cruise. After 6:00 pm, I wear a dress shirt.

What,

No pants ? :eek:;p:')

As a quick question (slight twist to the topic), for the 7-day Caribbean Yacht Harbor cruise - Barbados to Sint Maarten: What night is typically "Formal Night"? I think that I understand the daytime wear, but planning the evenings is a bit more challenging...Thanks in advance.

As a quick question (slight twist to the topic), for the 7-day Caribbean Yacht Harbor cruise - Barbados to Sint Maarten: What night is typically "Formal Night"? I think that I understand the daytime wear, but planning the evenings is a bit more challenging...Thanks in advance.

I am not certain, but I think the 3rd night is formal night on the 7 day Caribbean cruise. The first night is embarkation day, the second day has usually been the beach party.

Printed final Doc's for a JUne cruise. Noted under Dress Code - Formal - Men - "Tie not required"

One can’t help thinking that the idea of “formal” has now been reduced to a complete shadow of its former glory.

Why bother using the term if what is really meant is “smart casual”?

Changing culture Torchere, changing culture. It's all around us. I was at a happy hour at my mother's retirement community this afternoon and someone asked why I was "all dressed up". In fact, I was wearing a very simple knit dress--quite casual in my estimation. Yet others thought I was dressed to go somewhere special. Changing culture.

The suggested dress code is always the minimum that is required.

If your standard of dress is above this suggestion then it is perfectly acceptable to dress how you would like to.

Good point. But why use the word “formal” when the minimum isn’t formal at all?

At this point, who cares? I certainly don't. I like to dress up a bit in the evenings and will continue doing so. My husband likes to wear his blazer to dinner at night and will continue to do so. I DO understand that some people just want to be comfortable while on vacation. That's ok with me too--but I see the need to set some parameters.

Good point. But why use the word “formal” when the minimum isn’t formal at all?
As wripro says it is Formal optional

There will be a lot of us that dress formally and there will be a lot that dress more casually on the formal optional evenings.

I think it does depend on where you come from in the world and if you are used to wearing formal attire or if you will not feel comfortable in it and wish to wear something else.

Nobody on board cares too much unless you encounter someone that wants to eat in the MDR for dinner dressed in shorts and flip flops and has not bothered to change,fresh from the pool.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

As wripro says it is Formal optional

There will be a lot of us that dress formally and there will be a lot that dress more casually on the formal optional evenings.

I think it does depend on where you come from in the world and if you are used to wearing formal attire or if you will not feel comfortable in it and wish to wear something else.

Nobody on board cares too much unless you encounter someone that wants to eat in the MDR for dinner dressed in shorts and flip flops and has not bothered to change,fresh from the pool.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I think the only people who care what others wear are the posters on CC. Fortunately, we are a strong minority of the actual passenger count on board the ships.

I want to add that some people who are frequent wearers of formal dress in their everyday life, do not wish to dress up on a cruise. Others just don't want the hassle of packing extra clothing.