Just wanted to say I am SICK OF COLD FOOD.

GrandmaHofmann

It seems every ship going serves good that is as close to cold if not actually cold that you can get. Last week I was happy to see a fresh pan of French toast going on the buffet line. "At last," I thought, "It has to be warm now!" But there was NO warmth to it. It seems you can only get a warm meal if you go into a pay for meal. Clearly the food is made hours before use and just sits around. Let's talk food-borne illness.

It seems every ship going serves good that is as close to cold if not actually cold that you can get. Last week I was happy to see a fresh pan of French toast going on the buffet line. "At last," I thought, "It has to be warm now!" But there was NO warmth to it. It seems you can only get a warm meal if you go into a pay for meal. Clearly the food is made hours before use and just sits around. Let's talk food-borne illness.

I am going to have to stop eating muesli for breakfast. I thought it was supposed to be cold. ;p

Everything we just ate on the Escape was at a reasonable temp. If you put something on your plate and wander around the buffet for a while, it can get cold,,, at no fault of the cooks.

You can always go to the MDR

For people like my husband who like food so hot it might burn their mouth cruise food for the most part does not deliver that. There are too many people to serve and if in the buffet walking around to get a chair pretty much guarantees lukewarm food. Your best bet is to wait for the bbq's on the pool deck and have them place the food directly on your plate from the grill or go for the soups in the buffet. I have also had good luck with the pasta bar where they warm up the pasta, put it in a sauté pan, add the sauce and then serve it directly to your plate. With some searching you can get it pretty close to piping hot.

You can also ask the kitchen staff to heat items up.

I never had cold food that was supposed to be hot (17 cruises)

We are just off the gem and most of the buffet choices were cold (when supposed to be hot) with the exception of the omelette station and pasta station. However the food in the dining rooms was nice and hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First of all, I doubt the food is made hours ahead and just sits out. Have you any idea how quickly food cools off especially in A/C conditions? I have seen food at the buffet brought out hot and been cold before even 1/2 dozen people can get some. Eating in buffets all over the world and I have yet to find really hot food. That is why we rarely eat at the buffets. And food-borne illnesses. wow you didn't grow up years ago like some of us, when things had to sit out for hours because of so little cold places to put them. :rolleyes:I have had cold food on ships as well as restaurants, though normally things are warm enough. When it is cold I ask for something that is not. I know even in the main dining room the toast is often cold, so is it at home. It is pretty easy to understand why ship food and not just NCL isn't going to be always heated to our liking, they have a heck of a lot of people to serve and just getting your food from the buffet to you table cools it off.

I agree that French toast, waffles, and pancakes don’t stay warm long in the buffet. Don’t know any way around that because warming trays dry them out and they still get lukewarm. OP’s contention that food sits around for hours is flat out wrong as is the conclusion that NCL practices poor food safety practices. So, my advice is to avoid the small percentage of buffet food that doesn’t hold heat or go to a dining room for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you made your comment: Let's talk food-borne illness.

Are you simply sharing your thoughts with us on the next thread you're going to start?

Or were you trying to lead people to a conclusion that ignores food safety and sanitation practices?

How familiar are YOU with food safety and sanitation?

Are you aware that on passenger cruise lines that food safety and sanitation is arguably one of the ship's greatest concerns?

Clearly, if you did have any training and knowledge, I think you wouldn't make such statements.

As for hot food... many subsequent posts seem to disagree with you. But I can personally say that I don't like French toast, waffles or pancakes that can't melt the butter I apply.

Two simple suggestions.

First, when ORDERING food that will be served to you, state: "I'd like HOT ______" If your server gives you a puzzled look, explain that in the past it has arrived cold or not hot enough. Typically you'll get the extra attention to ensure your food is hot. Biggest culprit is french fries.

Second, ASK at the buffet line for something you want hotter. They will make it and bring it to you.

Addressing your issue on board at the time gets better results than turning to CC with a post which seems at least to me to resonate with bitterness.

I agree that French toast, waffles, and pancakes don’t stay warm long in the buffet. Don’t know any way around that because warming trays dry them out and they still get lukewarm. OP’s contention that food sits around for hours is flat out wrong as is the conclusion that NCL practices poor food safety practices. So, my advice is to avoid the small percentage of buffet food that doesn’t hold heat or go to a dining room for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My post follows yours and we probably were typing and thinking the same things based upon what we wrote.

You beat me because mine took longer to edit, as I had to find a better way of saying what I said and avoid the word "ignorant."

IClearly the food is made hours before use and just sits around. Let's talk food-borne illness.

Ignorance is bliss.

For anyone who is interested in the standards that cruise ships must meet to fulfill the requirements of the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program, here is a link:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2011.pdf

Go on the behind the scenes kitchen tour. The guide will tell you that food in the buffet is not allowed to sit out very long. It's changed out frequently, so as not to spoil. Food waste? yes, but safe.

We were told that the greatest area for food waste is the buffet.

just had breakfast. I fixed it, and there are just 2 of us: eggs, bacon, toast and fried potatoes.. We sat down to eat, the food had just come off the stove and within 5 minutes everything was getting cold: temp in the house 74 degrees. Breakfast type foods are very hard to keep warm. I love my french toast and waffles to be warm enough to melt the butter and usually they are, but by the time I take the first bite they are already getting cold. I have trouble understanding why anyone would think they can take a piece of french toast from a buffet, add just one or two more items, find a table and expect the toast to be even warm.

I also like my food hot, but I realize that is is very difficult to keep food piping hot at a buffet. It is an inherent problem with all buffets and not unique to NCL by any means. In the grand scheme of things, it is a non issue for me and certainly would not not make or break a cruise.