What is Dress Code in MDR (Viking Sea)?

harryw

This is just another example of poor internal communication. If I received pre-cruise instructions that did not mention "no jeans" (as on our last cruise) and I pack based on those instructions, then I am going to dress based on what I was told when I packed. If Viking is going to change the rules, then they need to tell me before I board the ship so that I can plan appropriately. It is too late to make this change once I am on board because what is in my suitcase is what I will be wearing for the duration of the cruise. It isn't a matter of disrespect; it is a matter of clear and consistent communication.

(y)

This is just another example of poor internal communication. If I received pre-cruise instructions that did not mention "no jeans" (as on our last cruise) and I pack based on those instructions, then I am going to dress based on what I was told when I packed. If Viking is going to change the rules, then they need to tell me before I board the ship so that I can plan appropriately. It is too late to make this change once I am on board because what is in my suitcase is what I will be wearing for the duration of the cruise. It isn't a matter of disrespect; it is a matter of clear and consistent communication.

Does the cruise line have to spell out everything? Jeans are day-wear and simply not appropriate for the dining room. Surely you don't have your suitcase full of jeans, or maybe you do.

Does the cruise line have to spell out everything? Jeans are day-wear and simply not appropriate for the dining room. Surely you don't have your suitcase full of jeans, or maybe you do.

Unnecessarily snide. If your concern is what is appropriate, I suggest you reconsider your tone.

lol And I thought it was just me that friendly(?)fifer liked to go after!

:rolleyes: Oh good grief. By this comment, I think it's just been proven that choice of clothing doesn't make a person.

For OP—while Viking states no jeans in the MDR, it is not enforced. We saw one or two people in jeans. The overwhelming majority were not wearing jeans or t-shirts. I would say about 25% of men wore sport coats but very few wore ties. Maybe 1/3 of the women in skirts or dresses.

It sounds as if you are aware enough to ask about the dress code and probably would not feel comfortable being the one person in jeans.

I did not see any guests or staff give anyone wearing jeans a second look though, if that is your preference. It is a well-mannered, jovial crowd, despite some of the comments you see here.

Gaun yersel friendlyfifer!

Thank you for your support Nippy Sweety. At least I can be sure of one dining companion, even if it is at a table for two!

Peragrina has always provided sound advice to other Viking cruisers and has often provided quotes from the Viking website/brochure. However, we disagree on dress code and I should have the right to criticise the views of others.

Cruise lines can not win when it comes to dress code. Some people abide by it and others flaunt it. When I am in a fine dining restaurant in the UK/Europe or on a luxury cruise line, I do not expect other diners to be dressed in jeans, or worse still, wearing baseball caps. The restaurant does not need to spell this out to me before I arrive for dinner.

Likewise, unless cruise passengers have not travelled before outside their own country or never watched a travel programme on the television, there should be no excuse for wearing jeans to dinner. Readers of course have the right to disagree with me.

Friendlyfifer, where I come from and in other parts of the US, jeans are acceptable dinner wear, so yes, the cruise line has to spell it out. It may not be the standard in your neck of the woods, but it is in mine, hence, clarity is needed. I am sure you will agree to that.

I'm sorry you feel attacked but you weren't. If you go back and read what I wrote you will see that if anything I offered an explanation of why people might be wearing jeans to dinner; your opinion was never discussed. I don't really care what your opinion is and have not commented on it.

I was however, pointing out that there are major inconsistency in the communication of the dress policy and that it should be fixed, one way or the other. If anyone was criticized, it was Viking.

Thank you for your support Nippy Sweety. At least I can be sure of one dining companion, even if it is at a table for two!

Peragrina has always provided sound advice to other Viking cruisers and has often provided quotes from the Viking website/brochure. However, we disagree on dress code and I should have the right to criticise the views of others.

Disagree with the viewpoints of others-yes; criticize them personally-no

;)The thing about dress codes, and one reason why they usually devolve into this level of discussion, is that they are merely social custom, not a legal requirement nor moral imperative ( at least in most cases!).

I will always adhere to suggested guidelines for dress for a given event or location, and my personal preference is to be slightly more dressed up than the reverse. I think that is partly a function of age, and somewhat a function of personality.

The other thing about social customs regarding dress, is that they change over time, and from place to place. There was a time, not so very long ago, that a "lady" would not think of going out to dinner without a hat and gloves. Who even thinks of that now? The wearing of jeans is a social custom that has altered over the recent past, and continues to change. "Dress jeans" is an oxymoron to many, but an acceptable fashion choice to others.

Having seen the frequency with which these dress code threads come, become somewhat contentious, and then fade away, this is an issue that we here on cruise critic will not solve. It would be my preference that guests would follow the suggestions of our Viking hosts and aim for "casual elegance" (I know, I know...) , but more importantly, treat everyone with common decency regardless of fashion choices.

Sorry, sermon over. Please feel free to resume normal conversation.;););) Oops, emoji challenged, only wanted one, and can't figure out how to delete extras!

Edited by lackcreativity

Friendlyfifer, where I come from and in other parts of the US, jeans are acceptable dinner wear, so yes, the cruise line has to spell it out. It may not be the standard in your neck of the woods, but it is in mine, hence, clarity is needed. I am sure you will agree to that.

I'm sorry you feel attacked but you weren't. If you go back and read what I wrote you will see that if anything I offered an explanation of why people might be wearing jeans to dinner; your opinion was never discussed. I don't really care what your opinion is and have not commented on it.

I was however, pointing out that there are major inconsistency in the communication of the dress policy and that it should be fixed, one way or the other. If anyone was criticized, it was Viking.

My point was that Viking should not have to spell out that jeans are not acceptable in the MDR. In my part of the world, not 'neck of the woods', as in many other parts of the world, jeans would be frowned upon.

However, those of us who disapprove of jeans will have no influence over your choice of clothing. Let's leave it to the cruise lines to add to their list of rules and the people from 'your neck of the woods and some other parts of the USA' will be in no doubt.

Don't worry Friendlyfifer, DH will join us. He always wears a jacket and tie for dinner on a cruise or in a hotel. I'll be in a leopard skin onesie myself of course!

As long as DH has a jacket and tie that's ok. I'm not against a leopard skin onesie. They're great and would act as nightwear as well.

I would be wearing my kilt. Should I make sure that Viking approve of this and add it to their list of dress standards? Perhaps they would have a view on what I wear or don't wear under the kilt.

The stated "no jeans" policy and discretionary enforcement is fine with me. This discourages wearing jeans and gives the maitre d' the ability to enforce on a case by case basis. I have never packed jeans with the express purpose of wearing them in the MBR or not packing them because they were forbidden in the MBR. I don't think that any one in this thread who has cruised on Viking has found the general ambiance of the MBR to be sloppy or objectionable.

Now as far as the culture part of the discussion. IMHO I find very little difference in restaurant dress between Northern Europe (incl. UK) compared to the US for the same category establishment. In those restaurants that don't require a tie and jacket; the jacket vs. jean count is about the same and it is more generational then cultural.

Kilts are OK as long as you wear them at "Mc Donalds"your our back is to me :eek: .

Now lets talk about the real dress code issue on Viking.... euro bathing suits in the main pool:D

My point was that Viking should not have to spell out that jeans are not acceptable in the MDR. In my part of the world, not 'neck of the woods', as in many other parts of the world, jeans would be frowned upon.

However, those of us who disapprove of jeans will have no influence over your choice of clothing. Let's leave it to the cruise lines to add to their list of rules and the people from 'your neck of the woods and some other parts of the USA' will be in no doubt.

Thank you. I have just added your name to my ignore list. Perhaps you will return the favor.

It appears that Viking has updated their dress code policy in the FAQs on the website: no jeans permitted in the evening at all dining venues except for the World Cafe.

Thank you!!!

Guys, please let’s stop at this.

We just received our information packet from Viking for an upcoming cruise. The packet clearly states no jeand in venues afyer 6:00. I guess they got the message about making their position clear.

We're on Trade Routes of the Middle Ages right now and it's really lovely to see how nicely people are dressed. Day and night, but particularly night. No one on this ship seems to have any problem with wardrobe guidelines. I left my good jewelry behind on this cruise but honestly I could have brought it and not looked the least bit overdressed.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Viking needs to do one more update—in My Journey the FAQs about the ship dress code still say “trousers” are acceptable for men. I had a rousing discussion with a friend about whether jeans were considered trousers. According to Wikipedia they are. I hope Viking modifies this FAQ section to match the general FAQs.

;)The thing about dress codes, and one reason why they usually devolve into this level of discussion, is that they are merely social custom, not a legal requirement nor moral imperative ( at least in most cases!).

I will always adhere to suggested guidelines for dress for a given event or location, and my personal preference is to be slightly more dressed up than the reverse. I think that is partly a function of age, and somewhat a function of personality.

The other thing about social customs regarding dress, is that they change over time, and from place to place. There was a time, not so very long ago, that a "lady" would not think of going out to dinner without a hat and gloves. Who even thinks of that now? The wearing of jeans is a social custom that has altered over the recent past, and continues to change. "Dress jeans" is an oxymoron to many, but an acceptable fashion choice to others.

Having seen the frequency with which these dress code threads come, become somewhat contentious, and then fade away, this is an issue that we here on cruise critic will not solve. It would be my preference that guests would follow the suggestions of our Viking hosts and aim for "casual elegance" (I know, I know...) , but more importantly, treat everyone with common decency regardless of fashion choices.

Sorry, sermon over. Please feel free to resume normal conversation.;););) Oops, emoji challenged, only wanted one, and can't figure out how to delete extras!

Excellent! Bravo [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

By the way, I looked at the suggested dress for our West Indies Explorer and it never mentioned jeans at all - nether in our documents, nor in the Viking Daily.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unlike say Silversea which politely but firmly turns folks away from venues without their required dinner jacket, Viking to my experience does not enforce whatever their dress code is. That could be part of the problem causing continued confusion. Again, saw shorts & T shirts in Viking Ocean restaurant. I agree Viking does need some policy to counter the trend towards "homeless chic" :) by some few.

I prefer Viking's dress code policy (whatever it is ) to the luxury lines like Silversea, etc. No wasted luggage space on suit jacket.