Elevator Crowding, the times they are a changing...

MizDemeanor

Next time I'm on an elevator I'm going to ask to see ID. Apparently I'm not as skilled as some at telling who is who. I mean, wow, Sam is incredibly observant. He knows people's nationalities, able-bodiedness, and how many floors they're going. I must be spending too much time enjoying myself rather than picking apart everything people do. :)
I literally just said that it's often impossible to tell if someone is able bodied just by looking at them. I said it a few posts ago. I literally said the opposite of what you're saying.

Although I am a able to count the number of decks I've climbed. That bit is true. You got me there.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Forums mobile app

I want to know how the riding up to ride down is an issue? My husband travels on a scooter and many times we just get on when an elevator arrives because those “only me in the world people” will not wait a minute for him to board the elevator orsquueze over a tiny bit to make room for his scooter. Yes, you are reading scooter so he CAN’T take the stairs. He would much prefer to have the ability to take the stairs than have to travel on a scooter. So, shut up about people riding up to ride down!

Think I'll get a t-shirt to wear on my next cruise: I know I look able bodied, but I have two bad knees and can't walk the stairs.

What is that saying - Don't judge a book by the cover.

That sounds like a great Idea, I think I will wear one saying "I'm able able body and I choose to take the elevator, have an issue with it lets talk :)

Marion

I love these boards. Three pages about elevators. Everyone here has an opinion about everything and I seriously (not being snarky, can't tell just reading this) love it. Seriously, it's fun! Thanks for brightening my day. <3

I know, nothing else to do today but read silly posts on here about 1st world problems and get a chuckle out of it.

Marion

1st it has nothing at all to do with being on a scooter or anything else. That is a red herring issue at best. How does it lead to additional crowding? Easy. There are but so many spaces on each elevator as it goes up and down. Lets say you are on deck 10 and want to go to deck 6 but you ride 10 up 10 18 and then back down to 6. It is quite possible and in fact probable that you are you are keeping someone who is on 11 (or above) from riding up lo 18 like they want to. Riding up to go down is in and of itself an "all about me" thing. It has nothing to do with having to take the elevator or not. I am ADA and can walk MAYBE one flight down but zero up, When someone rides up to go down they are basically telling everyone on the decks above them waiting to go up "screw you, I am more important than you are". So think before you tell someone else to shut up.

We can just agree to disagree as I don’t think it’s telling anyone I’m more important than you. There are far more times that we will wait for a second, third, or fourth elevator to come so he can get on. We can be waiting in front of the elevator and as the door opens people rush from behind past his scooter onto the elevator. Then when all these people rush past him, there is no longer room for his scooter. Actually the worst age group for it was the older group on our most recent Celebrity cruise. The younger generation on the Carnival Vista was much more accommodating. I apologize for saying shut up...I get fired up and my mama bear comes out when it comes to my husband and how he gets treated on his scooter. Again my apologies.

We can just agree to disagree as I don’t think it’s telling anyone I’m more important than you. There are far more times that we will wait for a second, third, or fourth elevator to come so he can get on. We can be waiting in front of the elevator and as the door opens people rush from behind past his scooter onto the elevator. Then when all these people rush past him, there is no longer room for his scooter. Actually the worst age group for it was the older group on our most recent Celebrity cruise. The younger generation on the Carnival Vista was much more accommodating. I apologize for saying shut up...I get fired up and my mama bear comes out when it comes to my husband and how he gets treated on his scooter. Again my apologies.

I can understand why you'd get a bit defensive about this situation, because your husband lives it. And I agree what you said about the younger generation. We (the younger gen) get a bad rep, but I am the FIRST one to volunteer my spot in the elevator to someone disabled, an elderly person, etc.. and that's the rare cases I take the elevator. My wife and I are young, and in good shape, so 99% of the time its the stairs. Common courtesy isn't common anymore. I am also the guy to thank anyone wearing any type of veteran hat, give up my seat on the bus, etc.. I guess it was just the way I was raised. It's a me, me, me type world we live in, and things would be better if people just had a tad more consideration for each other.

You must not have ever ridden on a subway train in Boston or New York during rush hour! The more the merrier, I would hate to make someone wait for another train (or elevator in this case) and make them late to their destination when there is practically enough space on the car. I don't think it's reasonable to request people stay at arm's length in an elevator in this type of situation.

My favorite elevator "event" is the way people will ignore the fact that a wheelchair bound person has been waiting for an elevator and walk around him to get inside the elevator, often leaving the WChr person outside. I also loved the person who told a wheelchair bound woman, "No, we already have a wheelchair person on this! You can't get on." I am sure she was not planning to do so, but must one yell out that she can't? Generally, if you let the wheelchair bound person on first, there is plenty of room for 6-8 other people to get on after her. Try to remember your day may well come.

Carnival may have found the best solution to elevator crowding, and it's on their new CARNIVAL HORIZON. The ship features "smart elevators" that are destination based. Quite interesting.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Horizon-equipped-with-smart-elevators

These are the worst, especially in a crowded situation. Family of 5 has one person press a floor. The elevator “plans” for one person to get in. 4 more get in, screwing everything up. Now compound that for every group on every floor. So won’t work. And now you can’t just wait for the next elevator, you have to wait for the next one that will actually stop on the floor you want, which won’t be every one.

Bad idea!

The silly posts that are started on this site never cease to amaze me.

I don’t think it’s a silly post at all. The elevator situations have been a mess. Some people have no manners and don’t let others get off before they get on. A lot of people cram too many people in because they can’t wait. They can’t wait for what? Your on vacation.

As far as who am I to tell someone the can’t get on. I AM! We are talking about over crowded elevators and you are not going to step all over my feet. You can wait another 3 or 4 minutes.

YOU'RE on vacation too! :) There is a difference between stepping all over someone's feet and this silly concept of "body touching".

You like this silly concept of body touching I suspect...Makes me wonder.:o

THAT'S WHY I DONT LIKE IT.

If there is a wait for the elevator, we take the stairs. Up and down. We're healthy and able, and frankly we need to walk off the calories!

As Canadians we tend to line up in an orderly fashion, on a "first come first served" basis. I have been to numerous other countries where this is not the case, but have tried to maintain my sense of humour and refuse to let myself get riled up about it.

There is no system to guess how many people can fit on an elevator. Fat people love to cruise, get a few 300-400lbers on an elevator, you ain't fitting 12 people!!

And don't forget parents with a baby in a stroller, or a handicapped person in a wheelchair or scooter. They need extra space too.

If there is a wait for the elevator, we take the stairs. Up and down. We're healthy and able, and frankly we need to walk off the calories!

As Canadians we tend to line up in an orderly fashion, on a "first come first served" basis. I have been to numerous other countries where this is not the case, but have tried to maintain my sense of humour and refuse to let myself get riled up about it.

As an American, I'll be strictly taking the stairs. This is just my choice and preference.

I agree with keeping a sense of humor and personally would have rather seen OP say "When someone would ask if there was room on the elevator we let them on and all had a good laugh about being squeezed in like sardines." But, some people insist on being self-righteous and always looking for someone to keep in line.

Sure you did. Next you will be trying to sell us a bridge in Brooklyn. If that is the case why did you say 2-3 floors and not just 2. Still my question remains why does this even bother you if you do not use the elevator in the first place and please tell us the minimum number of floors one can go and use the elevator so we do not violate your rules going forward. Oh and is this all pertaining just to Americans? Are there different minimums based on nationality or maybe time of day?

It pertains to all and the answer is easy; (able bodied) people should at the very least take the stairs when going up 1 floor or down 2. Isn't this common knowledge?

"When someone would ask if there was room on the elevator we let them on and all had a good laugh about being squeezed in like sardines."

I always tell my kids that they have a choice on how they react to a situation. As you said, laugh together and let it go or get angry, upset and ruin the day for yourself. It's my vacation, I don't want to be angry while I'm on vacation!! Case in point, we were at Disneyland Paris a few years ago, lined up for a ride (I think it was the Rockin' Rollercoaster Aerosmith ride) and there were these young people (in their 20s) who kept cutting ahead by squeezing through the outside of the line when it widened. At first I was ticked off and irritated because it's a line up! Find the person ahead of you and stay behind them, that's how it works! But after a few minutes of watching these guys act like giant goofball kids because they were so excited to ride this rollercoaster, I just let it go. I started to get a kick out of how excited THEY were, and at the end they were only a car or two ahead of us. If I had reacted badly, said something, started an argument, what purpose would that serve? Just my .02

Nice try on the deflection, but not going to work dear!

There is nothing to wonder about at all. First no one ever said that they liked anything. Your assumptions do not equal reality, BTW neither do your fears. What was said is that the whole concept of "body touching" is very silly and absurd. If you think for a second that you are going to go anywhere at all where there will be a crowd of people and you will never have contact with another human being, perhaps you should just stay at home. If you are that afraid of another person coming in contact with you it makes me wonder...

Again, off the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk