Best place to just rent a car and drive to experience the area?

iamchrisstone

My buddy and I are doing a cruise on June 3rd through the 10th on the Norwegian Getaway. Below is our itinerary. We try to take a "bro cruise" once every couple years just to take a break from every day life. Most men do golf outings or camping trips or this or that a few times a year. We do this. We generally don't do excursions on our Bro Cruise (we do sometimes with our families) unless it's a mini tour or something of the island/area. Honestly, those tend to not be all that exciting. This time, we are contemplating a different plan.

So, here is my question. Out of the following itinerary, what stop would be the best to rent a convertible and just drive? We are just looking for the experience. Views. Local villages or something that tourists generally don't go to. Safety. Overall experience. Thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback!

Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Harvest Caye, Belize

Costa Maya, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

My buddy and I are doing a cruise on June 3rd through the 10th on the Norwegian Getaway. Below is our itinerary. We try to take a "bro cruise" once every couple years just to take a break from every day life. Most men do golf outings or camping trips or this or that a few times a year. We do this. We generally don't do excursions on our Bro Cruise (we do sometimes with our families) unless it's a mini tour or something of the island/area. Honestly, those tend to not be all that exciting. This time, we are contemplating a different plan.

So, here is my question. Out of the following itinerary, what stop would be the best to rent a convertible and just drive? We are just looking for the experience. Views. Local villages or something that tourists generally don't go to. Safety. Overall experience. Thoughts?

Harvest Caye, Belize

Costa Maya, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

My opinion: Cozumel or Costa Maya

I'd say only Cozumel. But it is easier to just take a cab tour around the island and no risk of an accident and a trip to jail to sort it out....while the ship sails away. Roatan..no. You don't want to stray far from the port without an organized tour and dangerous roads and traffic. Harvest Caye, it's a contained island. Costa Maya, bad roads almost immediately and dangerous travel without an organized tour. However, for a cheap cab ride you can go right down the beach to some great and inexpensive eating and drinking. Google it or look at trip adviser.

Harvest Caye, Belize

Costa Maya, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

The only place I would even consider a car is in Cozumel, though in Costa Maya you can rent a golf cart.

Great info, everyone!!!! Thank you so much. Amber Cove (maybe it was Grand Turk and I can't remember) rented little Hummer cars, but someone told me they were just golf carts, basically. Something like that would be interesting if they had enough battery power or gas or whatever to last us a good portion of the day.

We rent a car quite often in Cozumel for the day. You can do a circle tour of the island. The East side is often missed by cruisers and it is beautiful with a lot of places to stop and get something to eat and drink. If you like to snorkel, bring your own gear and there are several spots along the West side to stop and shore snorkel. Check out tripadvisor for car rental information and ideas on a day of driving around the island. Check out the forum on Trip Advisor also.