Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Birch, please... LOL.

Spins, great news on the packing front.

I just bought plane tix to London for the September cruise. It was better to come in early, two days before the cruise, and fly to Copenhagen either the night before, or day of, the cruise (tbd). Then we'll spend only one night in London after disembarkation.

I have to say, AMEX came through yet again. I'd been watching prices for weeks and thought I had a decent deal. Then I called them and they beat it by $400 per ticket. Why do I bother any more?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Good news about your flights JP! Lovely treat to save $!

RP....I've been thinking about your thoughts to watch Stone's Untold History on your cruise. I just finished Episode 8 and I have to echo Jeff's suggestion that perhaps the cruise is not the ideal place to watch. The series is disturbing in the extreme. Not very conducive to enjoying your cruise. Perhaps wait until you return from your lovely vacation. It is worth viewing to be sure!

Having now watched the first episode, I think both you and Jeff are right Mysty. It will be home viewing.

Today is the day Spins, so glad you’re sorted and ready to go. Have fun.

Wedding anniversary today, or yesterday now. OH is on call however and hasn’t quite made it home yet. JP will understand. So celebrations on hold until later today. The champagne will be well chilled by then.

Rp

G’Day All......and what a beautiful couple of days we’ve had to enjoy with the sunshine...most welcome but sadly not to last as storms are on approach!

Happy Anniversary RP.....haven’t a clue how the CC friends work as I’ve never used it so not sure about the privacy settings.....I’ll leave you a note at reception when l board so you’ll have my suite number.

Great news on the flight tickets JP.....DD has just booked us a girlie weekend in London for the 7th on a Dorchester deal so we’ll be in before you sadly.......going to see the Tina Turner musical.....restaurants to be arranged!

Enjoyed a lovely morning in Chester with the kids today and stocked up on my cruise cosmetics....has to be done!

We opted for breakfast which hit the spot very nicely and enabled me to catch some sun in the garden this afternoon with a bottle of red!

Spins.....BON VOYAGE.....hope you have a fabulous time...reports from friends who were on a couple of weeks ago are excellent.

Lois....as Jolly says your e-ticket is yet to come....just had mine for May....just a piece of paper so don’t get excited!

Happy Weekend 😊

Greetings Coolers! And we have SUN! Yipeeeeee!

RP...hope your celebration was delightful!

Miss S...glad your shopping excursion was successful and your morning enjoyable!

The kids have decided that they are interested in our vinyl collection. Being the pack rat that I am, we've amassed about 120 albums since the early 1970's. Myster and I do not exactly have the same taste in music so the collection is very diversified. I spent a good chunk of the morning doing an inventory and turning that into a word processed document. Some of the oddities on the list include:

Pointer Sisters (guess who liked them :))

Alan Parsons Project

Tangerine Dream

Linda Ronstadt

Carly Simon

Fleetwood Mac

Men at Work

Pablo Cruise

Moody Bues.......

Not sure if our kids are going to be impressed with what's on offer.

Have a great afternoon/evening all!

Hello all. Packing is done except for last minute items.I hope to start a live blog if all goes as intended. I am not sure about posting pictures but I will certainly try.

Safe travels and best wishes for Spins as she and DH start their fun journey across the Atlantic. Yes, looking forward to your live/blog postings. If I can be helpful for any photo posts, just e-mail them to me and I will be happy to provide an uploading assist.

Happy anniversary to rosepark. Great to hear on J.P. and Chris booking to Copenhagen, etc.

This morning I watched the moving funeral service/Celebration of Life for Barbara Bush from Houston. Very nice event that brings back many earlier memories from when all of us were younger. Her personal style, warmth, humor, class and unfiltered honesty were a sharp contrast to some of what happens these days. Below are some visuals from when I was with her in 1991 when she helped dedicate our expanded and re-built Main Library in Columbus. She was a big booster for literacy and other good causes. As these pictures reveal, I have aged, lost my darker hair and put on weight during the past 27 years.

When meeting Barbara Bush in person, the surprise was that her "body type" was actually fairly normal. Her "challenge" in life was always being pictured next to a husband who was so tall (6' 3") with exceptionally narrow shoulders. That made for a less flattering contrast when standing next a husband that made her appear to be a little "frumpy". But, she had a great sense of humor about her "looks" and did not let the barbs and unkind comments get in the way of her attention to family and public activities.

THANKS! Sorry have been tied up much during the past couple of weeks and have not had as much free time to be posting here at the Cooler. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 200,215 views for this posting.

From late April 1991, here is First Lady Barbara Bush in our town being the speaker at our Main Library dedication. In this first picture, I was on the right, lower side. On the left was Ohio's Governor, George Voinovich. In the second picture, as the Board President, I present her with a library card. Finally, with the Governor and library director, we are giving the First Lady a demonstration on the state of the computer technology in those days for libraries. Much has changed in technology since those days.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

podium011%202_zpsehsnvp3w.jpg

Charlotte006%201_zpsfqtsxs4f.jpg

TLC%20amp%20Voinovich3_zpsukbj8jqd.jpg

Hi friends, Terry, Literacy was definitely her passion. What a wonderful event that must have been:)

I watched the service this morning as well. She was really loved by everyone (well, almost everyone) and no matter

what your politics happen to be, she was quite a First Lady.......she and Abigail Adams are the only ones to ever be

a First Lady and a First Mom.

It was a lovely service and her granddaughters spoke so eloquently.

Edited by Lois R

Greetings Coolers! Another morning with sunshine. Dare we hope?

A restaurant in BC is taking steps to deal with no-shows and people who cancel at the last minute.

Vancouver restaurant fed up with no-shows, asks for $10 per person for reservation

"Cacao Vancouver, in Kitsilano, has started charging a $10-per-person reservation fee up front, because too many customers were backing out at the last minute. Less busy hours, such as before 7 p.m., are still free to reserve.

The restaurant tracked reservations for a year before bringing in the new policy and found that between 50 to 60 per cent of reservations were no-shows or cancelled at the last minute.

For a small 25-seat restaurant, even a couple tables of no-shows hurts financially.

"The average check is $100 a head so if you don't show up, if four people don't show up, that's $400," said Jefferson Alvarez, co-owner of Cacao.

He started implementing the fee in February, asking for a $10 per person at the time of booking with the $10 taken off the bill at the end of the evening.

The $85 seven-course tasting menu, which requires significant work and preparation, also has to be paid in full beforehand when booking online."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/reservation-fee-vancouver-restaurant-1.4629261

Have a great day all!

Good Morning All,

Clarkson is clearly reading The Cooler and is a also bewildered as to why the world has decided that chemical weapons possession and use is worst than other weapons including nuclear. I wonder what his CC name is? :D

Today’s Clarkson.

“Why the fuss about chemical weapons? The blowy-up ones kill you just as dead “

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-clarkson-why-the-fuss-about-chemical-weapons-the-blowy-up-ones-kill-you-just-as-dead-5bxq0r02j?shareToken=fb4366e5bbe9ee0def4b2773788da110

Thanks for posting the link J! The man definitely has a way with words! His picture always makes me think of Napoleon for some reason. Maybe his CC name is Elba? :)

M,

Because of his laddish persona, his journalistic skills are often overlooked in the UK due to premature dismissal imho. He has the knack of seeing the absurdity and inconsistency in things and has a skill in writing about them. He has also become enormously wealthy as a result of being fired by The Beeb for a moment of stupidity and it has cost licence payers a lot of cash and missed revenue. I personally don't like him on TV but find his writing thoughtful and provocative.

I agree! I really enjoy his topics and his writing style. He may have a personality that rubs people the wrong way. To my mind his personality does not adversely affect my appreciation for his "art and skill".

Good morning Coolers all and after a rather hot weekend, it is indeed cooler here in London this morning, so much so, that it was back to porridge for breakfast. We gave up on trying to celebrate the anniversary at any stage over the weekend so will try to do it this week, or, thinking aloud here, maybe we should just save it for the Spirit and have a special meal in either Bordeaux or Bilbao?

Miss S, your idea for contact is simple and effective, I have no idea how the friend thing works on CC either. I do quite like the idea of going to Reception on board and asking, sotto voce, if there is anything for Rosepark - rather Bond, James Bond, I think

I, too, have been booking airline tickets, as I am going away for a weekend with some old school chums later in the year. They will fly from Heathrow but I am going from London City and I have booked a return reward flight to Milan for 8,000 avios and £35. It is an economy flight as it is only a weekend but , to my mind, that is somewhat of a bargain. And I do like a bargain. Off to find an hotel for us now, anyone been to Bergamo and can recommend a good one?

Enough of me, me me,. Good to see that Spins has made it on board with her packing.

Rp