Ladies, what Size purse to carry onboard and excursions

Anubhavi

hi,

this is my 1st cruise. I normally carry a big hand bag like a satchel. But I don't want to be lugging a big purse on board.

I have fanny packs but I guess it's not the trend now.

Can the ladies advice me on what size purse to carry on board and on port days ?

Thank you in advance.

hi,

this is my 1st cruise. I normally carry a big hand bag like a satchel. But I don't want to be lugging a big purse on board.

Can the ladies advice me on what size purse to carry on board and on port days ?

Thank you in advance.

LOL...guess I'm in the "not the trend now" group..;p;p

I use waterproof fanny packs only and exclusively. My rationale is this: (1) when on the ship on sea days, I only need my room key & my cellphone for pics....maybe my tablet if i'm only going to relax somewhere with hubby & read. Key card & cell phones fit nicely in fannypack. (2) on shore excursion days, I need passport, key card, some cash, & cell phone which all fit nicely in waterproof fanny pack. We don't do beach excursions, so no need to travel with beach bags & towels and such. We usually do tours, and/or shopping excursions. If we do an excursion that includes water (snorkeling, catamaran, etc.), the waterproof fanny pack is absolutely awesome, as we don't need to lock it up anywhere and risk getting it lost/stolen.

THIS is what I use....never failed me yet!! And it's cute on us ladies....LOL!!!;);)

Fanny pack.................ugh.

I have a "cruise purse". It is small (about 8" x 6"). It is tropical looking - woven straw look.

To go off the ship, I carry something larger, but nowhere near a "satchel". Just big enough to hold my "stuff" plus a small bottle of water, my camera, a charging brick, and a little room for something I may buy.

I was able o find a small, leather cross body bag on one of the shopping channels. The strap is convertible for cross body, shoulder, or around the waist. Also has a strap on the back of the bag if I want to slip a belt through it and not use the strap. The strap is also removable so it becomes a clutch for evening.

I would recommend whatever you decide on, to consider having some RFID pockets in the bag to protect credit card(s). The RFID slot also protects hotel or cabin room keys from getting demagnetized (which is something I tend to do on every cruise I go on!!) Alternately, you could get a couple of the RFID protecting sleeves for your cards; a sleeve for passports is a good idea too.

I do not carry my passport on shore but do carry drivers license as the added photo ID (unless passport is required at a particular stop).

My tiny bag can hold: i-phone 6+, small hand sanitizer, lipstick, cruise card (and credit cards for ashore), reading glasses if I don't put in contact lens, small comb, tissues, etc. Also room for sunglasses but then the bag won't quite fully zip closed but does zip enough to keep things secure.

I also have a few clutch bags to select from should I desire to take one of them exclusively for formal nights.

LOL...guess I'm in the "not the trend now" group..;p;p

I use waterproof fanny packs only and exclusively. My rationale is this: (1) when on the ship on sea days, I only need my room key & my cellphone for pics....maybe my tablet if i'm only going to relax somewhere with hubby & read. Key card & cell phones fit nicely in fannypack. (2) on shore excursion days, I need passport, key card, some cash, & cell phone which all fit nicely in waterproof fanny pack. We don't do beach excursions, so no need to travel with beach bags & towels and such. We usually do tours, and/or shopping excursions. If we do an excursion that includes water (snorkeling, catamaran, etc.), the waterproof fanny pack is absolutely awesome, as we don't need to lock it up anywhere and risk getting it lost/stolen.

THIS is what I use....never failed me yet!! And it's cute on us ladies....LOL!!!;);)

Where did you get the water proof fanny pack?

Onboard... I just wear my Seapass card on a lanyard and I don't carry a purse at all. Of course, some will tell you that wearing a lanyard is also out of fashion. But, I don't care. My lanyard is sparkly and I love it.

On excursions, I have to carry a big beach bag because we usually go to the beach. Plus, I'm a mom of 3 kids, so I have to have extra sunscreen- all the towels, their goggles, some water bottles, and all that other stuff that moms carry.

Good question! I leave my big purse/handbag at home when we travel and use a crossbody satchel. It'll hold the important items (i.e passport, phone, lipstick :-), cash/cards etc...

This would be something similar to what I would carry and if not brand minded, they come in all price points.

https://www.amazon.com/COACH-Womens-Embossed-Leather-Swingpack/dp/B00LO5K7GW/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1498666918&sr=1-8&nodeID=2475899011&psd=1&refinements=p_4%3ACoach

31uc9+iooVL._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.jpg

this is the type of thing I use. casual but not scruffy. little zip to put the seapass card so I always know where it is. Zip parts put against body when off the ship..... big enough to hold a bottle of water and an iphone. cheap enough to throw away at the end of the vacation.

I would never use a fanny pack.... my young adult daughter might. On her it would look very fashionable. On me it would just look awful.

I carried a small fabric zipper-top clutch/pouch with a wrist strap both on the boat and on excursions! It was the perfect size for my cards, camera, lip balm and other small things, and it was always on me. They came in a two-pack at Walmart for $5!

I just carry a wristlet. Although this is what I carry on a daily basis. I have a nice Over the Shoulder "normal" size purse that I use for my carryon and port days if needed. Just depends what we are doing in port.

I just ordered a new crossbody clutch from Norstrom's Rack as my new "cruise purse". Big enough for seapass, passport, phone, etc. but small enough to not be annoying. Don't like the small hand-held clutch bags because I'm always worried I'm going to leave it somewhere.

On the ship, I don't need a wallet, so I carry a very small purse, big enough for comb, lipstick, tissues, etc....that you need for "maintenance"! If I'm going ashore for touring or shopping, I will need my wallet, so I bring my normal purse. For beach days, I simply stick some folding money into my small purse, and put THAT in my beach tote.

I also have the waterproof fanny packs. We are beach people. So usually an old backpack with towels and such. I wear the packs in the water. I also have a waterproof bag that can be carried like a purse or around your neck. So far I have never had anything taken from the backpack on the beach. But I feel better having all valuables on me at all times. Fanny packs are making a comeback! lol

hi,

Thank you in advance.

Since I'm a guy, I can't give you advice, but my wife has a small pocket wallet with her credit card, ID, and money in it, and it goes in her pocket. Her phone in the other pocket. On the ship, the same thing but usually the phone is in the room. The less you carry, the less can be stolen. Same for any city, not just ports.

I carry my usual fabric cross-body bag with me when I am on the ship, and then for outdoorsy stuff I have a drawstring bag that can be carried on your shoulder or worn like a backpack:

33bl8ih.png

Not the most stylish, but very functional :) And one bag each was more than enough for me and my boyfriend to fit all our stuff that we wanted to take off the ship.

For time onboard, I bought this little combo bag (clip-on/off straps for crossbody wear, use as a wristlet, or without straps as a clutch.)

http://www.coach.com/coach-crossbody-clutch-in-polished-pebble-leather/65547.html

It has two zipper compartments, enough room for my seapass and singles for incidental tipping, a lipstick or lip balm, a couple hand sanitizer wipes, my phone, a hair tie or three, and a small tub of extra sunscreen. I found I loved it so much I now carry it as a daily bag when I don't want to haul around my giant handbag.

On shore, especially for a full day off ship, I have a larger crossbody day bag that can hold a whole tube of sunscreen, my sunglasses case, a protein bar, my little wallet with ID, insurance and payment cards, plus whatever things my husband doesn't feel like carrying himself. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like to use a small crossbody bag both on and off the ship. My favorite is the Louis Vuitton Favorite MM, it is a good size to hold iphone, small wallet, sunglasses, small makeup pouch. And the crossbody strap is removable and it has a gold chain which lets it transition to a dressier evening bag as well...very versatile! :)

Not a woman...but my wife never carries a purse on the ship or on excursions. Both of us have cell phone cases that can hold a few credit cards (and lined to protect the cards) where we keep our drivers license, one credit card and health insurance card...when on a cruise the open slot holds the SeaPass.

On excursions she utilizes a pack mule...me :D. We both love the beach so I just shove two towels in a backpack along with a bank bag that contains any tickets, shopping ads that caught her eye, sunscreen and some water. She is responsible for keeping up with her phone (when it isn't in the backpack) and I am responsible for the backpack, all shopping bags and keeping up with her.

That system seems to work well...at least for her.