Sydney Airport to Hotel?

Karen Lynn

A taxi should be around the AUD 50.00 mark. No need to pre book. There are also shuttle bus services availble . You can't miss the counters at arrivals. But for 2 passengers a taxi is only a little bit more and certainly quicker as the shuttle may stop at several hotels along the way.

Nice hotel, by the way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We arrived late and it was raining, so we took a taxi to downtown Sydney. Cost us around $60AUD which equated to around $48USD. Taxis take credit cards.

We prefer to use credit cards but I read that there’s a fee to use them in taxis. Is this true?

From the Pier One hotel website:

Area Airports

Sydney Airport - SYD

Airport Phone: +61 2 9667 6111

Hotel direction: 8 miles SW

This hotel does not provide shuttle service.

• Alternate transportation: REDY2GO Shuttle; fee: 22 AUD (one way) ;reservation required
  • Estimated taxi fare: 60 AUD (one way)

We prefer to use credit cards but I read that there’s a fee to use them in taxis. Is this true?

My cost included the surcharge. I don't recall it being 10% or I would have used cash. It was around $3-4 AUD.

10 percent surcharge.
My cost included the surcharge. I don't recall it being 10% or I would have used cash. It was around $3-4 AUD.
I think that historically it was 10%, but I see references to it now (since December 2014) being no more than 5% - see here and here.

I haven't paid much personal attention to this and I almost always pay taxi fares in cash, so I can't confirm it from personal experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Will the drivers accept US dollars?

Please don't use US Dollars in Australia. I don't use Australian Dollars when I travel in the US. This would mean the driver has to take the time to go to somewhere and change the money to Australian Dollars. So even if he did accept it, your exchange rate would be pretty lousy.

Use your CC if you don't want to spend time at the airport getting some cash out of an ATM.

Julie

Anyone have an private transfers they can recommend?

Or

Ballpark taxi costing?

Thanks!

I recommend UBER.

I used UBER from the Domestic Airport to my hotel in Darling Harbor.

Cost was $52.68 AUD or $41.35 USD

and

then again from my hotel at Hyde Park to the International Terminal.

Cost was $32.something AUD which was $29.84USD

The reason I like UBER is that you set it up with a US Credit card. (find a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees like Amazon Prime Visa or Capitol One Visa (and I think the Costco Citibank Visa???) when you open an account with the phone app.

So when you hail an UBER from your app, you know how much it's going to cost, and after the trip is over, the charge is made to your credit card on file. No surcharges, no surprises, No money exchanges hands.

I've used UBER in Nice, France, New York City, Orange County, California and many many times in San Francisco, California.

Oh yeah, you have to have a smart phone with the uber app that can make a cellphone connection in the area you are in. Bu you're carrying a cell phone anyway right?

Ive seen in some posts there is a train that goes from the airport to very close to the cruise terminal. Wouldnt that be the fastest and most reliable? Our return flight is at 11:50 am set up through air2sea and we really want to make that flight. Is it better to take an uber?

Ive seen in some posts there is a train that goes from the airport to very close to the cruise terminal. Wouldnt that be the fastest and most reliable?
If you're disembarking from Ovation of the Seas on 3 January 2019, that's at the Overseas Passenger Terminal which is about 5-10 minutes' walk from Circular Quay station (largely depending on how fast you can walk with your luggage) from where there are direct trains to the airport. That ought to be a fast and reliable way of getting to the airport if you're happy to do that.

If you're disembarking from Ovation of the Seas on 3 January 2019, that's at the Overseas Passenger Terminal which is about 5-10 minutes' walk from Circular Quay station (largely depending on how fast you can walk with your luggage) from where there are direct trains to the airport. That ought to be a fast and reliable way of getting to the airport if you're happy to do that.

This is a great option! The best one.

Getting from OPT to Circular Quay train station is indeed a flat, straight walk but it can be a total bust if the weather doesn't co-operate. On our most recent trip to Australia, we spent a few days in Sydney prior to boarding the Celebrity Solstice. One of those days we walked from our hotel (Rydges World Square) to Circular Quay at 8am, about a 10-12 minute walk. It was brutal! By the time we arrived at the ferry, we were drenched in sweat. Seems January 2017 was the hottest on record https://www.theguardian.com/weather/2017/feb/01/january-was-sydneys-hottest-month-on-record-says-weather-bureau. We opted for a taxi to the port on embarkation day.

Hopefully you won't encounter those record-breaking temperatures, but it still can get really hot and humid during the summer. Might want to factor in a back-up plan just in case. Have a wonderful cruise!

Getting from OPT to Circular Quay train station is indeed a flat, straight walk but it can be a total bust if the weather doesn't co-operate. On our most recent trip to Australia, we spent a few days in Sydney prior to boarding the Celebrity Solstice. One of those days we walked from our hotel (Rydges World Square) to Circular Quay at 8am, about a 10-12 minute walk. It was brutal! By the time we arrived at the ferry, we were drenched in sweat. Seems January 2017 was the hottest on record https://www.theguardian.com/weather/2017/feb/01/january-was-sydneys-hottest-month-on-record-says-weather-bureau. We opted for a taxi to the port on embarkation day.

Hopefully you won't encounter those record-breaking temperatures, but it still can get really hot and humid during the summer. Might want to factor in a back-up plan just in case. Have a wonderful cruise!

Just about guarantee you January will be hot.