Another R Ship for sale?

Azamarajunkie

Much as I like the smaller ships I really hope Azamara don't buy another one. These R class ships are not getting any younger and the new builds of Viking, Silversea, Seabourn etc are very appealing.

Personally I would love Azamara to have a slightly larger and much newer ship, say about 900-1000 passengers. The wonderful onboard experience would be the same but the cabins could be much improved. Just my thoughts.

We would prefer the same size ship - they’re quite big enough for us. We’ve done a few cruises on ships of about 1200 and found that number far too many for us. A new build would be good, but we quite like the ‘R’ class ships. Maybe it’s just the familiarity after 6 cruises on them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would prefer the same size ship - they’re quite big enough for us. We’ve done a few cruises on ships of about 1200 and found that number far too many for us. A new build would be good, but we quite like the ‘R’ class ships. Maybe it’s just the familiarity after 6 cruises on them.

Quite agree.

I don’t think it’s any secret that Carnival Corp want rid of the R ships the fact they’ve sold Adonia to RCCI is testament to that.

Would Azamara want Pacific Princess is another question it was R3 and older than the other 3 ships, also is probably not in the best of condition so would require a lot of work to bring it up to standard. Doubling the fleet in a short period of time might present too many problems as well.

As regards new builds it’s tricky, one of Azamara’s usp’s is being able to get into small ports and personally we would hate to see a larger ship with more passengers that could not achieve this. Having just cruised on a larger ship with 850 passengers it was a very sterile environment compared with Azamara.

Having cruised on the slightly larger and sparklingly new Viking ships I would much prefer a new ship of this size. There would still be the choice of three other Azamara R class ships of course. Just like Oceania has with the O ships Marina and Riviera and also their R class ships.

I remember talking to an Azamara ship Captain last year about the possibility of Azamara acquiring Pacific Princess. He said she had major problems with not being properly maintained over the years and Azamara had decided to pass on buying her at that time.

R3 is only a couple of years older than the current Azamara ships, they were all built within a very short time frame.

I had heard that Azamara had previously turned down the chance to buy R8 (Adonia), so you never know.

If they are in the market for another ship it would make perfect sense to standardise the fleet.

R3 is only a couple of years older than the current Azamara ships, they were all built within a very short time frame.

I had heard that Azamara had previously turned down the chance to buy R8 (Adonia), so you never know.

If they are in the market for another ship it would make perfect sense to standardise the fleet.

Indeed you never know, but the main reason Azamara bought Adonia after previously turning her down was that P & O had to spend a lot of money on her mechanically when she started sailing as Fathom from the US to Cuba. I believe the US coastguard stopped her sailing for a few weeks until she was brought up to snuff.

Phil

I have heard that the purchase of Adonia turned into a "2 for 1" sale with Pacific Princess being thrown in essentially for free. That should provide room in the budget for the mechanical upgrades she will need. It was confirmed as 'not 100% sure' but very close to a final deal.

I have heard that the purchase of Adonia turned into a "2 for 1" sale with Pacific Princess being thrown in essentially for free. That should provide room in the budget for the mechanical upgrades she will need. It was confirmed as 'not 100% sure' but very close to a final deal.

Was that a real 2 for 1 sale or an Azamara 2 for 1 sale :)

From Host Jazzbeau’s Post #49:

“And the best news is that a little birdie told me that Azamara is expanding [as everyone knows] but it will be to an even number, rounding out the fleet.”

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2586588

Would make staffing the four-months-on and two-months-off positions (e.g., hotel director, cruise director, F&B manager, etc.) a lot easier.

Providing that they don’t have to spend a lot to get Pacific Princess right that would make it a good deal and as marinaro says, an even number of ships would be easier to schedule crew wise. Hmmmm.....

Phil

Would make staffing the four-months-on and two-months-off positions (e.g., hotel director, cruise director, F&B manager, etc.) a lot easier.

Yes i felt an odd number was going to give them big logistical challenges for staffing ...... time will tell

Providing that they don’t have to spend a lot to get Pacific Princess right that would make it a good deal and as marinaro says, an even number of ships would be easier to schedule crew wise. Hmmmm.....

Phil

I was told they paid $100 million for Adonia, so if Pacific Princess is truly free that’s a good start on the upgrades.

Considering the competition and all the new builds in this segment Azamara would probably make a bold, but smart, move to have one more R-class. In the near future they will have to get some major refurb. It will be easier to do this if you can rotate four ships. If done right the Azamara New R-class could become legendary.

Wouldn’t be surprised, or unhappy about this, there was a brief mention of further expansion at the afternoon tea in London before Christmas.

Our invitation remains lost in the post!!!

Having cruised on the slightly larger and sparklingly new Viking ships I would much prefer a new ship of this size. There would still be the choice of three other Azamara R class ships of course. Just like Oceania has with the O ships Marina and Riviera and also their R class ships.

I remember talking to an Azamara ship Captain last year about the possibility of Azamara acquiring Pacific Princess. He said she had major problems with not being properly maintained over the years and Azamara had decided to pass on buying her at that time.

I agree. I do like the R class ships and I like being familiar with the ship. But I also would prefer to have the option of booking Azamara on newer ships.

Ivi

From Host Jazzbeau’s Post #49:

“And the best news is that a little birdie told me that Azamara is expanding [as everyone knows] but it will be to an even number, rounding out the fleet.”

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2586588

I shared Jazzbeau's comments on the day he posted it, and my boss said 'No truth to that rumor.'

Personally I think the future is rosy so here's hoping for a 4+ ship fleet!

What makes Azamara different from similar cruise lines is the crews, from the masters/captains to the wait staff, housekeeping, deck, etc. Azamara enjoys a very low turnover rate implying the crews like the ships, the environment and the pay. Increasing crew size by 50 percent while maintaining the unique environment will not be easy. Doubling it even harder. Also requires increasing headquarters staff, more floor space, etc. All significant challenges with the possible result the character of Azamara would change.

Considering the competition and all the new builds in this segment Azamara would probably make a bold, but smart, move to have one more R-class. In the near future they will have to get some major refurb. It will be easier to do this if you can rotate four ships. If done right the Azamara New R-class could become legendary.

Speaking of new builds........

https://www.mscfans.it/en/2018/01/31/msc-is-close-to-order-4-luxury-cruise-ships/