Annual trip insurance

Summergirl*14

• 1 month later...

I used Roam Right to cover a year worth of travel. I also had $5,000 per person per trip coverage with my cc. I figured out what would be the most expensive trip and combined coverage between Roam Right and cc. Unfortunately had to cancel the second trip and third trip because of a major medical issue. Because of the treatment I am currently receiving every 2 week I couldn't leave the country. Roam Right cover everything with trip cancellation on both trips. (Last trip was cancelled before final payment was made Thank goodness)

When you say annual "trip insurance" it sounds like you want to insure both medical and cancellation. These policies do exist but they are quite pricey. So my recommendation is to consider another strategy. You can purchase annual travel medical from several companies. We personally use GeoBlue (part of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield system) which costs us about $450 a year...which is the total cost for 2 persons. This policy gives us $250,000 or medical (with a $50 deductable) and $500,000 of emergency medical evacuation. The policy covers the first 70 days of every trip we take throughout the policy year.

As to the cancellation issue (we have never cared about cancellation insurance) you can get quite a few credit cards that include cancellation as one of their benefits. Or course this is cancellation for a real cause....not cancel for any reason. For example, the Chase Sapphire Cards generally insure up to $10,000 per trip (you must charge the trip on the card) and its possible to double this amount (for 2 persons).

For us this strategy saves us thousands of dollars every year....when compared to buying trip policies. We spend as much as 7 months a year out of the country...and its all covered by that $450 medical policy. And consider that most of the policies sold by cruise lines only cover $10 - $20,000 of medical...which is a ridiculously low amount of coverage.

Hank

Been scanning the insurance board, but haven't seen this. Does anyone purchase an annual trip insurance policy? We take 2-3 cruises each year and sometimes a land beach/lake vacation. If so, what company do you use. If it makes a difference, we are in NY

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not sure if the policy would cover your beach vacation. You better check w the company on that issue. We have been doing an annual policy for years. The first one that we had for several years covered cruise travel plus any time we were more than I believe 450 miles from home. There was no coverage for cancellation - just for medical and evacuation. We feel that we do not need any coverage for trip cancellation.

That policy is not being offered now. We now have a policy from Alliance that costs us $850 a year for the 2 of us. It costs more than our original policy because we are both over 75. It is a high limit policy for medical and evacuation and also includes some coverage for cancellation.

We still feel that cancellation is not really necessary but we are getting older and also the Alliance policy was a good deal.

For us, an annual policy is a much better deal than a trip-by-trip policy.

DON