Our First Disney Cruise

crosby99

Yippee, we have booked our first Disney cruise.

Sailing on the Wonder 29th March.

Not long on board so what would be your must-do? What will convince me to ditch RCCL in future?

Disney is far superior to RCCL in every way and it is ridiculously expensive. If money is not an issue you’ll never cruise with RCCL again.

Book what you can in advance through the website as things do tend to fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not long on board so what would be your must-do? What will convince me to ditch RCCL in future?

Don’t leave the ship without purchasing a placeholder for a future cruise. Fully refundable and entitles you to 10% off your next cruise and $100-200 in OBC on your next cruise depending on length. Disney doesn’t discount or run specials like other cruise lines, so the placeholder or on board booking of a future cruise is key to keeping DCL costs down.

Disney is far superior to RCCL in every way and it is ridiculously expensive. If money is not an issue you’ll never cruise with RCCL again.

Book what you can in advance through the website as things do tend to fill up.

Agree over the ridiculously expensive.

Reason to start with a 3 day. Although the Star Wars Cruise was so tempting £8000/$11000 dollars wasn't

Don’t leave the ship without purchasing a placeholder for a future cruise. Fully refundable and entitles you to 10% off your next cruise and $100-200 in OBC on your next cruise depending on length. Disney doesn’t discount or run specials like other cruise lines, so the placeholder or on board booking of a future cruise is key to keeping DCL costs down.

Sounds interesting. How much is the placeholder?

Placeholder is $250 per cabin. One individual on the current cruise must book in each cabin on which you use a placeholder. There are black out dates when you can't use it' date=' but overall it is great.[/quote']

You can always use the $250 value towards any cruise, but you’re correct that you don’t get the benefits (10% off and OBC) during blackout dates, which are primarily holiday sailings.

You can always use the $250 value towards any cruise, but you’re correct that you don’t get the benefits (10% off and OBC) during blackout dates, which are primarily holiday sailings.

One more thing about the placeholder. Needs to be used within 2 years.

One more thing about the placeholder. Needs to be used within 2 years.

I can confirm this. I tried to make a booking the day the new cruises came out, and a lot of my choices were not eligible due to the booking sailing date within two years after the date on the placeholder.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can confirm this. I tried to make a booking the day the new cruises came out, and a lot of my choices were not eligible due to the booking sailing date within two years after the date on the placeholder.

How does this restriction work? Is the placeholder for any cruise within the next two years, as long as the dates aren't blacked out? For example, if we decide during a spring break cruise that we'd like to do it again two years later, would that work? And I assume that like other deposits, it's refundable?

And to complicate things...since Disney only schedules cruises out 18 months, we'd have to get a "placeholder" reservation for an announced cruise, then reschedule it when the actual schedule comes out.

How does this restriction work? Is the placeholder for any cruise within the next two years, as long as the dates aren't blacked out? For example, if we decide during a spring break cruise that we'd like to do it again two years later, would that work? And I assume that like other deposits, it's refundable?

And to complicate things...since Disney only schedules cruises out 18 months, we'd have to get a "placeholder" reservation for an announced cruise, then reschedule it when the actual schedule comes out.

A "placeholder" is just a blank reservation for a future date (no date/cruise specified). You can book up to 2 placeholders while on a cruise ($250 for each one). That placeholder has to be applied to a specific cruise to be taken within 24 months of the placeholder booking in order for the reservation to get the additional perks (onboard credit and reduced price).

If you don't apply it to a specific cruise within the specified time frame, you get your money back.

The $250 is applied toward the deposit on whatever cruise you want to make a reservation on.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give us al ittle more info? WHat do you normally like to do aon a cruise? Will you be traveling with kids? Do you drink?

• 1 month later...
Recently back from this cruise.

Really enjoyed it.

Kid facilities first class and dining was superb.

Would certainly do Disney again...just wish it wasn't so expensive

indeed...what we all wish, but it only seems to get ever more expensive!

glad you enjoyed your cruise!

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise! I was surprised that you weren't able to find a lot of family activities though. Did you try the D lounge? That is always family activities in the evening.

The kids clubs have open house hours every day to spend together as a family; there are frequently activities in the atrium like Jack Jack's diaper dash, etc.

Trivia for famlies; the pools and water play areas; usually some kind of craft or trivia for families in the promenade lounge. The Navigators have a line/calendar of activities "for all ages" that are family activities, then ones for adults then ones for kids. And of course, the movies and shows. The shows are awesome and very family oriented. I love seeing the DCL shows with my kids!

It is just compared to other lines I have sailed with my kids, DCL has so much to do as a family which is one of the things I love.