Viking final payment

kapok kid

Viking terms of business says 90 days out for final payment, subject to a little wiggle room if air is included. My trip starts out from Newark airport October 17. And they want final on April 1st. That's 200 days out. Anyone have experience of this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is standard for Viking. If I were you, I would look at AMA or Uniworld, both are way better than Viking. Viking has the fancy ads and all that but their experience falls short of other cruise lines.

Viking terms of business says 90 days out for final payment, subject to a little wiggle room if air is included. My trip starts out from Newark airport October 17. And they want final on April 1st. That's 200 days out. Anyone have experience of this?

The 90 days out is only if you are paying the brochure price. For any "deals" with respect to airfare or their usual 2-for-1 pricing, they want payment earlier.

The 90 days out is only if you are paying the brochure price. For any "deals" with respect to airfare or their usual 2-for-1 pricing, they want payment earlier.

We just booked with Viking and requested that they extend the due date which they did. We turned the booking over to our TA who said they always ask for a short time but they always extend it. I don’t know if that alone would deter me from Viking— it is still an excellent product.

What has Viking said in response to this question. 90 days before October travels is sometime in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never heard of anything like this. Our Viking European Sojourn was a 2-for-1 “deal” and payment was exactly 90 days out. Had it been earlier I would have demanded an explanation for the false advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think part of what drives due date for Viking is whether or not you are in the States (I could be wrong). I stopped shopping them completely a few years back when they tried to extract $12,000 from me over a year out from a cruise. I have gone on 5 river cruises since and don't even bother pricing out Viking. I just booked a Portugal cruise for next May on a competing line even though Viking had better dates.

View it as you are extending Viking an interest free loan up until the day you sail.

You can easily compare the terms and conditions on the US-American and UK websites. They differ. In the UK own laws apply and to some extent EU consumer rights are also applicable, so Viking has to comply with those. The UK website does not display 2-for-1 deals, there you get early booking discounts instead.

Not sure how a Canadian booking might differ from a US-American booking as regards terms and conditions. Cruzer1001, it sounds as if it could be different. Interesting.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

I’m new to river cruising and have been talking to a Viking rep regarding a Jan 2020 sailing. I was told the deposit would be $500pp which is fine. But final payment will be Dec 2018 which is over a year in advance. I would like to think I could invest my 25K in that years time.

I’m new to river cruising and have been talking to a Viking rep regarding a Jan 2020 sailing. I was told the deposit would be $500pp which is fine. But final payment will be Dec 2018 which is over a year in advance. I would like to think I could invest my 25K in that years time.

If you ask, they will move final payment to 6 months out.

I found their payment schedule a little too much for me. I booked with Emerald which was much more relaxed on final payment. They do offer an incentive if it is paid off by a certain date. I think my extra discount had me pay by Oct 2017 for June 2018.

I think part of what drives due date for Viking is whether or not you are in the States (I could be wrong). I stopped shopping them completely a few years back when they tried to extract $12,000 from me over a year out from a cruise. I have gone on 5 river cruises since and don't even bother pricing out Viking. I just booked a Portugal cruise for next May on a competing line even though Viking had better dates.

View it as you are extending Viking an interest free loan up until the day you sail.

This. I will be looking elsewhere due to this policy after our upcoming cruise in June. Had two other trips booked earlier and Viking insisted on jumping the line on payments. Not cool. We enjoyed our two previous Viking cruises but this policy is unfair. And now that I've read this thread and see it's only US customers who are getting this treatment I am even more determined to look elsewhere.

I would seriously consider reporting a German company that wanted me to pay in full for a service they have nothing delivered of yet more than a year in advance to a consumer rights society. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that this is not fair and above board within the respective country's laws, but I personally like to challenge what I consider as "not fair". After all, the power lies with the consumer if he speaks up for himself, the more people the stronger the voice.

HokiePoq, I am sorry to hear of your recent experiences with Viking, but I am sure you will have a great time on the Elbe. Please report back from your cruise experience (after you get home) in the thread on the Elbe, I am sure many will be happy to hear of it.

For the future, as you are considering other companies, I am sure that after a bit of research, also among the European companies if you wish to do so, you will find a great product that suits your wishes for a lovely holiday.

notamermaid

I have not dealt with Viking for 6 years and their fake pricing and payment policy are two reasons I look elsewhere. Viking has (or at least had) another “gotcha” - you are dealing with a company based in California but they often run charges for US customers through their Basel Switzerland office which on many credit cards results in a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee. Buyer beware.

....they often run charges for US customers through their Basel Switzerland office which on many credit cards results in a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee. Buyer beware.

We had a payment to Viking a couple of years ago that incurred a foreign transaction fee. We questioned this with Viking and received a full refund of the fee from them. Haven't had this problem recently.

We had a payment to Viking a couple of years ago that incurred a foreign transaction fee. We questioned this with Viking and received a full refund of the fee from them. Haven't had this problem recently.

All the more reason to be sure that one's cards do NOT have foreign transaction fees! Thank you Capital One.

Hi all, perhaps final payment date is different depending on country or region? For our upcoming cruise we booked mid-June 2017 and we asked for the latest date possible for full payment and were offered mid-November 2017. We cruise end of May 2018.

Cruising time is nearing so safe and happy trips everyone.

This thread sure is an eye opener! It seems Viking’s payment terms are not so much a uniform policy but are all over the place - whatever they can get you to do. Although I had read that official terms were final payment 90days in advance, when we tried to book a river cruise, Viking wanted full payment 13 months in advance. When we questioned that, they said they would “extend” the final payment due date to 10 months in advance. We are uncomfortable pre-paying SO far in advance, especially when it seems there is no real policy in place - terms are different for all. Something wrong with this picture ...