Best option to get from NY to Washington dc

Bedruthen

We arrive at Brooklyn cruise terminal on 17 May and will be going to Washington. We have 2 options available to us. The local train from Penn Station to Washington, leaving at 12.35 or Vamoose business coach leaving at 2pm. Travel time is around 4 hours. Now there are repair works on the railway which may mean delays and the cost for 2 is higher at $185. The coach take about half an hour longer and it drops us off either at Bethesda or Arlington, and we are staying in the Capitol Hill area. The coach is $100.

We don’t really know what time we will be off the ship, although we plan to self disembark so should be early. We can’t decide which will be the most relaxing option, and if we are too early for the coach, which picks up in Manhattan, we don’t know what we would do with ourselves, given that we will have suitcases in tow. I’m also worried about leaving our luggage unattended on the train and it possibly getting stolen. It’s our first trip to USA and we are struggling with the detail. Thank you

If you're staying near Capitol Hill, I'd take Amtrak, for several reasons.

Although Penn Station isn't exactly the greatest place on earth to hang out, you can pretty easily sit down and relax. There's plenty of food, I believe there is luggage storage if you pick a later train than necessary, and you'll be indoors if the weather is bad. I won't speak to the bathrooms, I'm afraid...

There are luggage racks at the ends of all cars, and an area where you can leave larger bags. You can usually pick a seat where you can see your stuff. There's also an overhead rack on the regional trains for carry ons and the like. While I'm sure things are occasionally stolen, this is not at all common.

Union Station is a block north of the capitol. Easy cab or Uber to your hotel. Not so much from Bethesda or Arlington where you'd now have to figure out the Metro to get back, or pay for a much longer cab ride. Do not, for a minute, believe any posted travel times involving I-95! Yes, the trains are frequently a few minutes behind, but they're not in traffic on I-95 (think of the M25 on your worst possible day...).

Major hint of the day: When you enter the waiting area at Penn Station, ask for a red cap. Prepare to tip about $5-10, depending on bags. They will come and get you early, and take you and your bags to the train. The train tracks aren't posted until boarding begins, but the red caps will know...

Should you take Amtrak from Penn Station, it will leave you at Union Station in DC.

If you need the metro from there, the red line metro is in the Union Station building on the lowest level. I read the travel advisory about track work which started on the 10th, I have not heard of any impact yet. If you arrive early, you can wait in Penn Station https://ny.curbed.com/2017/8/8/16092376/penn-station-nyc-guide-map-hours-food The Vamoose Bus pick up location is close to Penn Station and there are coffee shops on that street corner.

If you take the bus, the Arlington drop off will leave you about a 3 minute walk from the Rosslyn Metro Station. Orange, blue and silver line metro trains will transport you to DC.

The Bethesda drop off would be more logical than Arlington. The Bethesda Metro Station is a 2-3 minute walk and the red line metro will get you into DC www.wmata.com is the Washington Metro link.

Ferry service was started last year from the Red Hook pier to lower Manhattan, https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/ That will be your quickest way to Manhattan but you will still need to get to the train or bus location in midtown.

Mark - I totally agree with your advice. I'm not that experienced with the NY-Washington trip, but I know that I will take Amtrak any day over the bus between Boston and NY. The seats are comfortable with plenty of leg room, a tray table, an electric plug, and wifi. There is also a Cafe car.

I recently hung out in NY Penn waiting for Amtrak and it was just fine. Lots of food and services and as you point out an indoor place to wait. Restrooms were under construction and I never did find them. However, with 2 people one person can sit and watch the bags in the Amtrak waiting area (accessible only to people with Amtrak tickets) while the other person explores.

As you point out Union Station will be close to a Capitol Hill destination - much more convenient than an Arlington bus stop.

The red caps do know. Amtrak does a 20 minute layover in Penn Station when the train comes from Boston and a great many people get off. Paying a few dollars to get on early with the red cap is really worth it.

I concur, the bus ride from midtown West down to DC on a bus is slower, most likely more than 30 minutes as posted on the schedule - both subject to the typical delay, on a weekday traveling with luggage ... NE corridor train service is the way to go. Check to see if you qualify for any fare discounts, i.e. seniors or unannounced/not published.

There are red cap services on both ends to assist - a place to store luggage if desired. Depending on ship's arrival, docking & clearing time - just allow sufficient time to clear immigration & customs, and ground transfer into Manhattan for the train ... 12:35 PM departure should be very "safe"

Food services onboard the Cafe train car would be limited & pricey, take advantage of all the dining options once you get to NY Penn Station ... even the "standard" 2 by 2 seating on the regular trains are comfortable & wide, reclining and free WiFi, etc. Amtrak will arrive almost at the footsteps of the Capital Hill area, local taxis (cabs) are still charged (I believe, as Metro/train is the way to get around for us, packing light ...) by zones within DC - so it will be rather inexpensive vs. coming in from Maryland or Virginia.

Many members of U.S. Congress and their staff "commute" to/from DC on Amtrak & regional rails, for good reasons, despite the occassional problems & delays - better than & preferred by many from the NY area vs. flying.

Amtrak stations are well patrolled by law enforcement these days and luggage theft is not a known problem, and, not something you should really worry about - keep the valuables, medications & electronics, passports, etc. on a small cabin/personal bag with you at all times ... don't let it out of your sights, it's the same common sense practices to use like visiting any other places.

Here's a bonus tip - while sightseeing around the Capital Hill area, on a weekday - check out the main cafeteria, 6th floor of the Madison building - part of the U.S. Library of Congress on "The Hill" open to all for breakfast & lunch daily - subject to security screening, of course - with a fantasic, near panaromic view overlooking the Capital, including the "Mall".

https://www.loc.gov/visit/maps-and-floor-plans/cafeterias/

Amtrak will arrive almost at the footsteps of the Capital Hill area, local taxis (cabs) are still charged (I believe, as Metro/train is the way to get around for us, packing light ...) by zones within DC - so it will be rather inexpensive vs. coming in from Maryland or Virginia.

DC cabs haven't used the zone system for years (and even then going to/from VA or MD it was based on miles and pricey). DC cabs use meters now.

OP: you have been given very good advice about taking Amtrak to DC (including using the red caps at Penn Station). And once you get to DC, particularly if you are staying on Capitol Hill or really anywhere downtown, please take a cab and not the Metro to your hotel. Metro really isn't set up for people dragging the kind of luggage you are likely to have on a cruise. Also, May 17 is a weekday, and it looks like you'll be arriving in DC during the afternoon rush hour, when Metro will be very crowded.

One tip about getting food in Penn Station: there's a bakery called Zaro's on the main concourse level (where the waiting room is for Amtrak passengers). Buy a couple of "black & white" cookies from them. They are THE BEST! :D

Enjoy your first trip to the U.S.!

Edited by Turtles06

I would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread and for the really helpful tips. We didn’t know about the redcaps and we will definitely use them to help us. We have decided to go with the train, with our carry on cookies of course, as it just looks easier the other end and we will just get a cab to our accommodation. Thank you for the Madison building breakfast tip, we haven’t even got around to planning our 3 days in Washington, but this will go on the to do list. You guys are the best :)

I would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread and for the really helpful tips. We didn’t know about the redcaps and we will definitely use them to help us. We have decided to go with the train, with our carry on cookies of course, as it just looks easier the other end and we will just get a cab to our accommodation. Thank you for the Madison building breakfast tip, we haven’t even got around to planning our 3 days in Washington, but this will go on the to do list. You guys are the best :)

Let us know if you need suggestions for DC. Three days will fly by...

(Oh, and the Black & Whites are a NYC thing. More of a cake than a cookie (or biscuit), but amazing.)

Let us know if you need suggestions for DC. Three days will fly by...

(Oh, and the Black & Whites are a NYC thing. More of a cake than a cookie (or biscuit), but amazing.)

We would love some suggestions. We did try to book a tour of the White House, but it seems that for security reasons we have to be accompanied by a UK diplomat and not surprisingly the UK embassy has a note on its website to say that they cannot provide staff for this! At the moment, we just have the Lincoln memorial and the Smithsonian on our list, but we do like quirky things. In Paris we did a tour of the sewers !

I recently hung out in NY Penn waiting for Amtrak and it was just fine. Lots of food and services and as you point out an indoor place to wait. Restrooms were under construction and I never did find them.
In January the ladies room was up the stairs, out the door and down the block. I'm serious.

You should have no trouble making a 12:35 train.

We would love some suggestions. We did try to book a tour of the White House, but it seems that for security reasons we have to be accompanied by a UK diplomat and not surprisingly the UK embassy has a note on its website to say that they cannot provide staff for this! At the moment, we just have the Lincoln memorial and the Smithsonian on our list, but we do like quirky things. In Paris we did a tour of the sewers !

So, what are your interests? Do you mind giving a rough order age?

First of all, unlike the British Museum, the Smithsonian is a collection of museums, mostly located on the Mall.Pick one or two. The most visited museum in the world is the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum. Almost directly across the Mall is the National Archives, home to originals of the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence. They do have special exhibits from time to time. Almost across the street from the Archives is the National Gallery of Art, which is well worth a visit. Great coffee shop and gelateria in the underground passage between the east and west buildings.

If you go to the Lincoln Memorial, be sure go down the steps and to the left; that's the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial. If you continue down the reflecting pool towards the Washington Monument, you'll be in the World War II Memorial. On a Friday or Saturday morning in May, it's very likely there'll be an Honor Flight in town with actual veterans, in their 80's and 90's, of World War II; some will have trained in the UK in the 1940's...

DC actually has several breweries and distilleries open to the public. I've never been, but the District Distilling Co. is supposed to be very nice. If you're still in town that Sunday, the Washington Nationals will be playing the LA Dodgers; Nationals Park is not far from Capitol Hill. Arsenal at Bluejacket is a local brewpub that's very nice. They don't make reservations before games, unfortunately.

My personal favorite museum, after Air and Space, is the Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery, located in the Penn Quarter across from the Capital One Arena (latest corporate sponsor...). Along with some fascinating exhibits, it also features a great little cafe for taking a break.

If you're into food, check out the Penn Quarter. DC does now have Michelin 2-star restaurants, but if you're just looking for very good food, Jaleo for Spanish, Oyamel for Mexican, Texas Hill Country Barbecue for a very good example of Texas barbecue, etc., are on 7th Street. There are plenty of others...

That's a quick start. If you're going to get out of DC proper, things expand.

There's a new Smithsonian Museum of African American History & Culture. It's pretty popular so for the most part tickets either have to be reserved in advance (July 2018 tickets will be released on April 4) or same day (online) starting at 6:30 AM. There's also some walk-up availability but that's not guaranteed. I have no idea whether this would hold any interest for someone not from the US (we haven't gone yet).

We are both a young 60, active so walking no problem. We have 4 nights, so 3 full days from 17-21 May, which is a weekend. Our rough cut thinking is day 1, the Smithsonian Natural History and the space museums, plus any major sights in the immediate vicinity. Day 2 shopping, Eastern Market and and any weekend flea markets. Day 3 nothing planned. The order of the days might need to be changed to take in to account opening times etc, as one of the days is a Sunday. We then pick up a car hire on the Monday and have a 3 week road trip up to Montreal and back, via Waynesboro, Ephrata, Albany, Montreal, White Mountains, Boston and NY before hopping back on QM2.

We are both a young 60, active so walking no problem. We have 4 nights, so 3 full days from 17-21 May, which is a weekend. Our rough cut thinking is day 1, the Smithsonian Natural History and the space museums, plus any major sights in the immediate vicinity. Day 2 shopping, Eastern Market and and any weekend flea markets. Day 3 nothing planned. The order of the days might need to be changed to take in to account opening times etc, as one of the days is a Sunday. We then pick up a car hire on the Monday and have a 3 week road trip up to Montreal and back, via Waynesboro, Ephrata, Albany, Montreal, White Mountains, Boston and NY before hopping back on QM2.

So what are your plans for Boston? Where are you staying? A car can be a real liability in downtown Boston. Parking is very expensive and the downtown driving can be a nightmare with all the one way streets. Public transit and walking are the easiest ways to get around.

Don’t forget the Holocaust Museum. You need to make reservations.

Another cheap way to travel is the Megabus. Fares are sometimes only $1. Make a reservation and go to Jacob Javitts Center catch it there. They leave all day long and drop you off at Union Station.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what are your plans for Boston? Where are you staying? A car can be a real liability in downtown Boston. Parking is very expensive and the downtown driving can be a nightmare with all the one way streets. Public transit and walking are the easiest ways to get around.

We are staying on the southern outskirts of Boston and have a parking spot provided. We plan to take a walking tour as we only have one day there. That’s deliberate as it’s likely that if this trip goes well, we will return and Boston is often on cruise itineraries as well., so there’s a good chance we will visit again.

Don’t forget the Holocaust Museum. You need to make reservations.

Another cheap way to travel is the Megabus. Fares are sometimes only $1. Make a reservation and go to Jacob Javitts Center catch it there. They leave all day long and drop you off at Union Station.

Thanks, I’ve just checked but the Holocaust museum is sold out for our dates and indeed most of May. We seem to have picked a busy weekend in Washington DC.

Thanks, I’ve just checked but the Holocaust museum is sold out for our dates and indeed most of May. We seem to have picked a busy weekend in Washington DC.

Keep on checking spots might come up.

Best way to get around DC is with a HOHO bus you can take a relaxing night tour and see all the monuments lit up. 2 days would be perfect for you.

We are staying on the southern outskirts of Boston and have a parking spot provided. We plan to take a walking tour as we only have one day there. That’s deliberate as it’s likely that if this trip goes well, we will return and Boston is often on cruise itineraries as well., so there’s a good chance we will visit again.

That's a relief. You've done your research. Have a great time!

Keep on checking spots might come up.

Best way to get around DC is with a HOHO bus you can take a relaxing night tour and see all the monuments lit up. 2 days would be perfect for you.

I like the sound of the night tour and not too strenuous when we’ve been on our feet all day. It’s on the list, probably the evening we arrive as it will help with orientation as well. Great idea thanks

That's a relief. You've done your research. Have a great time!

We had got two days originally but then someone told me about Providence and it’s costume jewellery museum and a couple of stores. As that’s my passion, we have a day to spend indulging my hobby.

I'd take the Megabus if I were you. They go from the Javits Center in NYC to Union Station in DC. About a dozen departures daily. I just looked up 5/17, the fares start at $5!

Here is some stuff of my favorite stuff to do in DC:

White House (You can visit the front lawn. There are always protests there, especially now with Trump in office)

US Capitol (I don't believe you need to be a US citizen to reserve tours)

US Supreme Court (I believe there are scheduled walk-in tours)

Lincoln Memorial

Jefferson Memorial

MLK Memorial

Washington Monument

WWII Memorial

Korean War Memorial

Vietnam War Memorial

Ford's Theater

National Air and Space Museum

National Museum of American History

National Museum of the American Indian

National Archives

Some extras if you have time:

Constitution Gardens

Library of Congress

FDR Memorial

Arlington National Cemetery

Mount Vernon (It's a bit of a ride from DC as it's in Virginia, but worth it IMO)

Air and Space and Natural History in the same day is a little ambitious, but if you pace yourself, you'll be OK

The previous HOHO suggestion, especially for an evening tour, is a very good idea. The National Mall is a lot bigger than it seems, and there isn't public transportation on it. You can't for instance, easily get from the Air and Space Museum and the Lincoln Memorial, other than by walking or HOHO. For decades, the National Park Service had a contract with the Tourmobile, which was an open air vehicle specifically designed for travel around the Mall with a side tour into Arlington National Cemetery; it's gone.

The Smithsonian museums are open 10:00 - 5:30 every day, including Sundays, so that's not an issue. (The National Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian American Art Museum are 11:30-7:00). GO TO AIR AND SPACE EARLY!!!! Go on a weekday if you can (I think you'll have a Friday morning?). Enjoy your time and post back with questions after you've done your research.

It's the heart of spring tourist season in DC, hopefully while the weather is still good and before it's really hot and humid.

Specific monuments that imho are worth stopping at for an inside visit (but of course I don't know whether they will be of interest to you): the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, and the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial (the excerpts from FDR's speeches carved into the stones are still relevant today).

If you do visit the Lincoln and/or the nearby Vietnam Veterans Memorial and Korean War Memorial (all of which are worth a visit), you can also easily see the bronze, larger than life statue of a seated Albert Einstein, on the north side of Constitution Avenue west of 21st Street, in front of the National Academy of Sciences building. It's incredibly popular and much-photographed (with people often sitting in Albert's lap, that's how huge the statue is).