How many pairs of shoes do YOU take?

bethshebas

On a short cruise, 7 day, 10+day?

I am getting ready for a 5 day cruise and I am taking 4 pairs of shoes. One pair of heels, tennis shoes, a nice pair of flip flops and one pair of flip flops that I don't mind if they get wet.

Seems like a lot but I don't see how I can cut back. I know some people take lots of luggage but I make it a game to pack light. So maybe you can make me feel better. How many shoes and what kind do you bring?

On a 7 or 10 day, I bring 1 pair of dressy sandals for formal nights, 1 pair of more casual sandals for dinner, 2 pairs of flip flops, and a pair of either tennis shoes or water shoes (depending on excursions).

Next cruise is to Alaska, with pre-cruise days in Vancouver. I'll have 1 pair of flip flops, tennis shoes, sandals/heels for dinner, and probably a pair of dressy flats.

On a short cruise, 7 day, 10+day?

I am getting ready for a 5 day cruise and I am taking 4 pairs of shoes. One pair of heels, tennis shoes, a nice pair of flip flops and one pair of flip flops that I don't mind if they get wet.

Seems like a lot but I don't see how I can cut back. I know some people take lots of luggage but I make it a game to pack light. So maybe you can make me feel better. How many shoes and what kind do you bring?

Possibley you could do without the heels and maybe the tennis shoes. Remember, you will be wearing a pair of shoes so they don't count in the packing. :D:D

On a 7 or 10 day, I bring 1 pair of dressy sandals for formal nights, 1 pair of more casual sandals for dinner, 2 pairs of flip flops, and a pair of either tennis shoes or water shoes (depending on excursions).

Next cruise is to Alaska, with pre-cruise days in Vancouver. I'll have 1 pair of flip flops, tennis shoes, sandals/heels for dinner, and probably a pair of dressy flats.

Alaska is definitely on my list of things to do! I would have you would be taking some sort of boots or something more rugged than flip flops. Have you done Alaska before.

Possibley you could do without the heels and maybe the tennis shoes. Remember, you will be wearing a pair of shoes so they don't count in the packing. :D:D

Oh yes! I don't have to count the shoes I am wearing on embarkation. You are making me feel better all ready!:p:D

Another one for too many.

I am an overpacked generally though. I try hard to cutback... unsuccessfully I might add!

Two pairs of formal shoes.. Black pair and gold pair, pewter or black wedges for smart casual evenings, pool flip flops, walking sandals, smarter flat sandals. Sketchers fabric trainers and leather walking shoes/ trainers in chillier climes! Oh and I'll wear leather slip on wedges to travel.

As we usually fly to port this has to fit in to 1 X 23kg suitcase and 1x rollaboards. I take travel sized toiletries to help keep within allowance.

I have been known to take 14 pairs, although I have narrowed it down to around seven in recent years. Next cruise I am experimenting with just two pairs of heels, one sneakers, and one rubber-soled flats.

For our AK cruise we wore our heaviest hiking shoes on the plane.

I've always been an overpacker with shoes but I am seriously trying to cutdown on our April TA. I am planning on bringing 2 pair of heels, pool flip flops, 3 pair of dressier flip flops, workout shoes, and my dance shoes. And that's a big reduction for me!:')

Sherri:)

Shoes are, admittedly, a weakness of mine! For ten days (Florida visit and 7 day cruise) I wore black wedges on the flight, packed two pair of dressy, high heeled sandals, two pair daytime sandals, plus Croc sandals (which double as slippers), gym shoes, and a pair of flats. And, yes, I am proud of myself for keeping it under ten pair! Of course, dear husband just wears one pair and packs his dress shoes. I get to use his “extra” space☺️.

Edited by neenab

Most of our trips are cooler weather and it's easier for me to pack less for those trips (ironic, isn't it?) I'll pack 3 pair - boots (I have a great pair of black soft leather Keen knee boots that are comfy for lots of walking and look cute with a sweater dress for dinner) walking shoes (usually goretex) and a comfortable mary jane or ballet flat - can do some walking but mainly for dinners (or, around the ship if the trip is a cruise).

For warm weather, I bring walking sandals, maybe a water shoe or sandal (depending on what I'm doing on the trip) and my silver gizeh birkenstocks for night or less walking. Maybe a walking shoe (again, depending on what I'm actually doing on the trip.....)

I bring "fancy" shoes for dinners when I "dress up"....otherwise, it's a decent sandal for dinner, and flip-flops of some sort during the day. I wear flip flops ashore. Unless you're doing some major "back woods" hiking, I don't need athletic shoes or hiking boots, or anything like that! I wear some sort of sandal/flip flop all summer long, pretty much anywhere!

I would like to do 3, but it will probably be 4 or 5!

I don't do heels. I just bring suede flats for the dining room.

Also I'll have a pair of Chaco sandals and a pair of tennis shoes. Might bring my Keens and a more low profile sneaker also, we'll see. Thankfully I have small feet & my shoes don't take up too much room.

I usually bring 4 or 5........I have been cruising for 15 years and I can't think of a time when I ever brought more

than 6 pairs and that (for me) would be too many. Everyone is different.......some gals like to bring in the teens.

And if that is what makes them happy, well then go for it.

I would say my wheelhouse is 4 or 5 pairs.

Just returned from a 4 day cruise. I took one pair of wedge sandals, 1 pair of flat sandals and 2 pair of flip flops, but should have/could have only taken 1 pair. Normally I take tennis shoes but due to an injury I knew I wouldn't be working out on this cruise.

Next cruise is Alaska in June, 7 nights plus 2 nights pre-cruise in Vancouver and 1 night post-cruise in Anchorage. I will likely take 1 or 2 pair of wedge heels for dinner, 1 pair of flat sandals, 1 pair of flip flops for the hot tub, tennis shoes to work out in, and probably 1 pair of ankle boots and 1 pair of clogs for daytime excursions since it's Alaska and I can't just run around in flip flops/pool attire the whole time. I don't like to overpack so looking at it now I might really try to get the "dinner shoes" down to 1 pair of nude colored wedge heels that will coordinate with everything. A lot will depend on the weather forecast immediately before we leave...that might eliminate either the sandals or the ankle boots for daytime, but we haven't made all of our excursion plans yet so we'll see.

I usually bring 4 pairs of shoes including the pair i wear on the plane, which means I pack 3 pairs. I'll wear the bulkiest, which is usually my Hoka running shoes, and pack 1 pair of dressy sandals to wear at night, usually black or gold, 1 pair casual brown sandals which are super comfy, and a pair of water shoes (Crocs or Merrells). :-) I would bring more but I travel in carry-on only!

Wish I could cut down but it NEVER happens! LOL

I wear my running shoes on the plane, then I pack:

-1 pair wedge high dressy sandals

-1 pair dress flats

-1 pair 'beach' flip flops

-1 pair black fancy flip flops

-1 pair white flips flops

...then possible pink fancy or green fancy depending on which outfits I am bringing?

YIKES - no wonder my suitcase is also so heavy - I do have trouble keeping under the 50 lb limit - and try to put some shoes/heavier stuff in my carryon for obvious reasons! :)

I don't think of myself as a shoe gal, but still end up with several pairs. For our September cruise I will probably need the least amount and plan to wear my workout shoes but will still need to pack:

-water shoes for beach days

-running shoes

-black dressy sandals

-brown dressy sandals

If I lose enough weight by then I may also need a pair of true dress shoes depending on what fits for formal night.

We're going to Alaska on our next cruise, so it's a big debate. The cruise is 7-nights, plus 2 nights pre-cruise in Vancouver, plus 1-pre-prenight closer to the airport...then 4 nights post cruise, including 2 nights camping and our most sporting excursions (kayaking, glacier hike, etc.). Right now, I'm thinking:

Hiking boots

Tevas (pool/hot tub)

Soft Soled Minnetonkas (casual cooler)

Sandals (a really wonderful pair that are walking sandals but not sport. They can be dressed up or down, but aren't truly formal)

I'm debating whether or not to bring a normal pair of trainers for walking in decent weather. I'm leaning towards yes.

I will not be bringing "formal" shoes. The sandals will be good enough for elegant nights in Alaska.

Wish I could cut down but it NEVER happens! LOL

-1 pair 'beach' flip flops

-1 pair black fancy flip flops

-1 pair white flips flops

...then possible pink fancy or green fancy depending on which outfits I am bringing?

Seems like if you truly want to cut down, you could go from 4 pair of flip flops down to 1 or 2. Either coordinate your casual outfits so that EITHER a black or white pair goes with all of them, or get a neutral pair.....I have some that are a nude color with rhinestones on them....they go with anything/everything. Depending on what they're made of, you may or may not need a separate pair of "beach" flip flops.

We're going to Alaska...

Hiking boots

Tevas (pool/hot tub)

Soft Soled Minnetonkas (casual cooler)

Sandals (a really wonderful pair that are walking sandals but not sport. They can be dressed up or down, but aren't truly formal)

I'm debating whether or not to bring a normal pair of trainers for walking in decent weather. I'm leaning towards yes.

I will not be bringing "formal" shoes. The sandals will be good enough for elegant nights in Alaska.

There are shoes out there that are sort of a combo of a trainer and a hiking boot/shoe. Lower on the ankle like a trainer, but sturdier and definitely a sole with more grip and tread like hiking boot. A pair like that could eliminate the need for separate trainers and hiking boots.

Will you also be wearing the Tevas for kayaking? If not, and if they are truly just for going back and forth to pool/hot tub, you could just bring a smaller/thinner pair of cheapo flip flops for that. It would still be another pair of shoes but they'd likely be lighter and less bulky, so take up less room in your luggage than Tevas. ??

I can and have gotten by with three pair: walking shoes worn on plane, one pair of wedge heels, one pair of sandals. I only do this if we are doing carry-on only, which is rare. If really trying to save space, but have a larger bag, I will add one more pair of casual wedges for nights.

Usually though I add at least one or two more pairs of heels, water shoes (if needed for certain excursions) and a pair of flats--or two. My feet are fairly small and I don't have much trouble fitting these in a 24" bag. I don't like flip flops, but sometimes another pair of sandals.

There are shoes out there that are sort of a combo of a trainer and a hiking boot/shoe. Lower on the ankle like a trainer, but sturdier and definitely a sole with more grip and tread like hiking boot. A pair like that could eliminate the need for separate trainers and hiking boots.

Just called a hiking shoe ;-) And if you get them in goretex, you'll be set for anything AK could throw at you. Personally, my hiking shoes are so comfy, I don't have a need to bring "regular" trainers - just wear the hiking shoes for my needs on that vacation. I've had a couple of pairs over the years - Merrell capra, Asolo, and Lowa.

If you wanted something lighter still (eg without much ankle support but still good traction) you can look at waterproof trail runners. I'm all about the goretex for my travel shoes, based on what *I* do on a trip and where *I* vacation. If you don't hike and you go to the beach, this advice will not apply to you.;p