Photo Printing Recommendations

taffy12

A question for the best community of photographers I know: where do you get your photos printed? For standard sizes - 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 - I'm actually super happy with Target's in-store photo lab processing...but they don't do non-standard sizes and I can't find an online-based company that I'm happy with. Target's online printing isn't as good. Nations Photo Lab is ok, but not as crisp and sharp as I'm used to. Any suggestions? I'm mostly looking to print 8x12s and square photos. Thanks!

For years, we have been very pleased with Costco's Photo Service. I long ago ditched my photo printers and get anything larger than 4x6 printed at Costco. Granted We don't really print 4x6 anymore except for an occasional one on a Canon Selphy, but prints we do for family and friends are all Costco. They also do excellent canvas and metal prints at very reasonable prices.

Dave

It depends on what medium you are printing on. I would not recommend scissors for metal or canvas prints from Costco.;p

You could use the ones they cut ribbons with at bridge opening ceremonies....

th?id=OIP.5hQKPZCairwcl6mqNJjSZgHaEz&pid=Api

:)

Dave

Another vote for Costco for most things. If I am doing odd sizes then I make a blank canvas one size larger in photo shop, then copy and paste my final toned and cropped and sized image on to that canvas and have them print it at the larger size and then cut down with a utility knife to fit my frame. I do believe that Costco does 8x12 prints and some square sized too. 5x5, 8x8 and 12x12. The other thing that I do is prints on glass. Groupon usually has deal with Images on Glass to do 16x20 glass prints for about $30. They do a great job and some of my more subtle images look better on glass. I keep thinking about prints on metal but I had a really bad experience with PrinterPix.com on my first attempt. They delivered two prints that would have been great but one was scratched and one had a quarter size chemical spot on it.

Another vote for Costco for most things. If I am doing odd sizes then I make a blank canvas one size larger in photo shop, then copy and paste my final toned and cropped and sized image on to that canvas and have them print it at the larger size and then cut down with a utility knife to fit my frame. I do believe that Costco does 8x12 prints and some square sized too. 5x5, 8x8 and 12x12. The other thing that I do is prints on glass. Groupon usually has deal with Images on Glass to do 16x20 glass prints for about $30. They do a great job and some of my more subtle images look better on glass. I keep thinking about prints on metal but I had a really bad experience with PrinterPix.com on my first attempt. They delivered two prints that would have been great but one was scratched and one had a quarter size chemical spot on it.

FYI, we have a few 24x36 metal prints from Costco and they came out great. Excellent color and very well packaged with no damage when we picked them up.

Dave