Anything to Do in EWR?

zodiac1

We are flying into EWR 2 days before our cruise sailing out of Cape Liberty. We've been to the 9/11 Memorial. We haven't booked our 2 night hotel stay yet. Is there anything to do for the day in Newark area? Sightseeing, shopping, walking, etc.? I'll book our hotel once I figure out what we'll do for the day before we sail. Sailing June 17 on the Summit!

We are flying into EWR 2 days before our cruise sailing out of Cape Liberty. We've been to the 9/11 Memorial. We haven't booked our 2 night hotel stay yet. Is there anything to do for the day in Newark area? Sightseeing, shopping, walking, etc.? I'll book our hotel once I figure out what we'll do for the day before we sail. Sailing June 17 on the Summit!

IMO not really much to do in Newark. For your dates the Newark Penn Station Hilton is $135 + tax with Hilton Honors. They have an airport shuttle and are attached to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk. This gives you easy access to NJTransit to go to New York Penn Station in midtown NY ($5.25/pp each way) or PATH to World Trade in downtown Manhattan for $2.75/pp each way), just pick something you want to do from the myriad of choices in New York.

Newark has the Prudential Center and NJPAC, so you can check if there's a show/concert going on during your visit. As far as shopping, the town over (Elizabeth) has the Jersey Gardens Mall which is the largest shopping outlet in NJ. Across the bay, you can go to Liberty State Park, in Jersey City, which should be really nice in June.

Newark has the Prudential Center and NJPAC, so you can check if there's a show/concert going on during your visit. As far as shopping, the town over (Elizabeth) has the Jersey Gardens Mall which is the largest shopping outlet in NJ. Across the bay, you can go to Liberty State Park, in Jersey City, which should be really nice in June.

But OP is flying in so they won’t have a car to drive around. I agree with 138 stay at Hilton Newark Penn Station and come into Manhattan and spend the time there using NJ Transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shopping - Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall vs Macy's or 5th Avenue

Walking - not recommended in Newark vs Central Park or the Highline

Sightseeing - Anything at all in Manhattan vs nothing in Newark

Really not much of a choice.

But OP is flying in so they won’t have a car to drive around. I agree with 138 stay at Hilton Newark Penn Station and come into Manhattan and spend the time there using NJ Transit.

They asked what there was to do in the Newark area, so I told them my suggestions. They didn't say they were restricted to only public transit or walking and sometimes people rent cars to get around. Just a thought.

They asked what there was to do in the Newark area, so I told them my suggestions. They didn't say they were restricted to only public transit or walking and sometimes people rent cars to get around. Just a thought.

You definitely hit the highlights of the Newark area options. It's a very short list. Folks have rented cars to both store luggage post cruise and to do the Statue of Liberty, which is very easy to do from Liberty State Park as I found out 2 years ago.

Head into the Ironbound section of Newark for the best Portuguese food in your life. Tons of Portuguese restaurants that are phenomenal! Forno's of Spain, Iberia Peninsula, Spain, are all great. Spanish Pavillion is just over the bridge in Harrison. Also excellent.

A couple great restaurants in Newark are Fernandes Steakhouse, Casa Vasca (one of my all time favorites) and another BYOB right off Ferry St, Sabor Unido.

You're also a nice walk away from Red Bull Arena, maybe catch a soccer game, or use NJ Transit to the subway and catch a Yankees or Mets game?

How would a group of 4 (with BIG luggage) get to the cruise port from Hilton Penn Station? Cost?

You'd have to price a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo and give an accurate description of your amount of luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing in the Newark area... but its' a super easy train ride to NYC.