Seabourn-cruises should try Regent!

Stefan_Cruise

After our seven Seabourn cruises and a very disappointing cruise with the Encore last year, we are right on Regent Explorer from Miami to Barcelona (21th of march to 4th of april).

What should I say - much better than Seabourn

- the food is much better than on Seabourn (the food on our last Encore cruise in june 2017 so was so disappointing)

- 3 speciality restaurants

- free (fast) internet (up to now we used more than 12 GB)

- free excursions

- perfect service

- just 750 people on a really large ship!

- larger standard suites

- and the best of all - it was cheaper than on Seabourn

we are right on Regent Explorer from Miami to Barcelona (21th of march to 4th of april).

- and the best of all - it was cheaper than on Seabourn

Regent pricing is generally higher than Seabourn due to the inclusive standard shore excursions (that are not desirable for many passengers).

You're on a repositioning cruise, which is always cheaper anyway and which does not have many port days, i.e. few inclusive excursions. So that's probably why the price differential is small between Regent and Seabourn on such an itinerary.

To better compare, what price did you pay, for which suite category?

Glad you're enjoying Regent. Conversely, after about a dozen Regent cruise going back to when they were still Radisson, we're giving Seabourn a try this fall. My expectations are that it will be every bit as good as Regent and perhaps better in some ways. I'm not a huge fan of the "included" excursions frankly, although I admit at times it's convenient not to have to think about that aspect of the adventure.

Every Regent cruise I’ve looked at is much more expensive than Seabourn.

I’ve sailed on 5 Regent cruises but none recently because I like Seabourn’s ships better.

Everybody has a different opinion about food. I liked Regent food and I like Seabourn food.

The standard Veranda cabins are approximately the same size.

Except for Explorer, Seabourn ships are newer. I had two ship breakdowns on Regent

The service is good on both ships.

I like the Seabourn ship layout with the pool area on deck five and the larger outdoor eating area at the Colonnade...advantage Seabourn.

Advantage to Seabourn, both ship and price....sorry!

Again personal opinion, everything you get on Regent is priced into their higher fares and the food is, well, subjective. Not for me, but all personal opinion. I would be going on a few more Regent cruises before I decided it was ultimately superior, because we all know that some ships, and individual cruises are better than others.

If we had judged Seabourn by only one cruise we probably would never have sailed Seabourn again. Our first cruise on Odyssey was very problematic in terms of service. Nevertheless, we decided to book the Quest to Antarctica -- experience way different (apart from the destination). Superb service. For that reason we just cancelled a Regent cruise in favor of booking the Seabourn Ovation Dubai to Athens.

Judging a cruise line by one cruise (whether good or bad) is really a mistake.

And the best of all was that I have seen no black smoke coming out of the chimney. This was a huge difference to our last Seabourn cruises where you saw a lot of black smoke!

The smoke is included on Seabourn like the caviar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And the best of all was that I have seen no black smoke coming out of the chimney. This was a huge difference to our last Seabourn cruises where you saw a lot of black smoke!

If you had waited awhile you would have seen white smoke and a new pope.

Sounds like you are casting around for reasons to support your decision. You don't need to. We get it. You have decided that Regent is better. Fair enough if that works for you and you don't need to justify it to anyone else.

I was Regent back from the Radisson days but then they made the mistake of going into dry dock and cancelled my cruise. This gave us a chance to try Seabourn. Seabourn is better. Yes, the Regent Explorer was a beautiful ship and the food (especially lunches in the specialty restaurants) very good. I have not been on Encore yet.

However, if you think Regent is cheaper than Seabourn I want to know who your TA is!!!

Regent is very high.

Let's face it ... Seabourn, Silversea and Regent are all very close in terms of quality but each has it's own unique twists on the product offering and ALL have their faults ... you just have to make a personal decision on which aspects you value the most and unfortunately that is not a decision that is as easy as it appears .. so much depends on the crew and management which unfortunately is almost impossible to predict on any cruise, luxury or otherwise.

JMHO

I love Seabourn and her witty travelers--try reading the Regent boards for real grouches and the same topics over and over ad nauseum!

We love our cruise line of choice; most of all we (I) enjoy the easy, don't take life so seriously, guests and their life aboard. And the easy-going attitude is the definition of the best cruise line in my world (and I've sailed on many others , too).:D

Also FREE on Regent are visits to the infirmary, ciprofloxacin and Gatorade should you get food poisoning on board. Plus a personalized letter from the captain warning that you will be involuntarily disembarked at the next port if you do not remain in your cabin until further notice.

I'll take the few mishaps on Seabourn any day over Regent.

Again personal opinion, everything you get on Regent is priced into their higher fares and the food is, well, subjective. Not for me, but all personal opinion. I would be going on a few more Regent cruises before I decided it was ultimately superior, because we all know that some ships, and individual cruises are better than others.

Absolutely.

Say you are someone who doesn't care for ships excursions. This is something to think about because your fare on Regent includes the basic shore excursions. For some a lot of value but for those who wish not to participate it is money down the drain.

And the same applies for all cruise lines where amenities are provided some or many which might not be used by some.

This is one of the reasons why I believe that in the end each person has to figure out what works well for them.

One cruise line might be perfect for me and not for someone else while another one might be perfect for them but not for me.

It all comes down to each persons opinion and interests.

But what is in common is nothing if free. It is all part of the cruise fare as is how the cruise line chooses to spend the money.

Keith

I love Seabourn and her witty travelers--try reading the Regent boards for real grouches and the same topics over and over ad nauseum!

We love our cruise line of choice; most of all we (I) enjoy the easy, don't take life so seriously, guests and their life aboard. And the easy-going attitude is the definition of the best cruise line in my world (and I've sailed on many others , too).:D

Great comment. When it comes down to it, the most important thing is the ambience established by your fellow passengers.

We like different cruise lines for different reasons so we do not stick to one line. No cruise line is the perfect fit but we know what to expect when we cruise.

Every cruise is greatly affected by our fellow cruisers more than any other factor and no one has control over that

Sent from my iPad using Forums