Tips for Canadian traveller re currency conversion/purchasing in FP...

Lrorogers

Hello forum,

We are so excited about our upcoming 1st trip to FP and on the PG this July! :D

I am trying to get my head around the most cost efficient way to deal with purchases/currency conversion as a Canadian traveller.

Do we need XPF currency or is the USD accepted in most places (restaurants, stores, pre-cruise resorts, etc) in French Polynesia? (I am assuming that the Canadian $ is not accepted on the islands.)

.....Or should we change USD or CAN$ into XPF when we arrive in PPT or purchase some XPF from CAN$ in Toronto before we leave? We will face a double conversion fee as Canadians if we change to USD and then to XPF, so I am just trying to figure out the most cost efficient way of travelling in FP. If we use our Canadian credit card, we will face added fees as well.

Thanks again for any tips/feedback!

:) Lisa

• 1 month later...

Lisa, I'm surprised no one from Canada has given you any advice on this. We have a similar problem coming from the UK.

We will need some US$ for our stopover in California but it seemed that we'd be hit for fees twice if we then changed those into XPF. I worried that Sterling, ie £GB, might be hard to exchange so I investigated further and discovered that the XPF is fixed against the Euro. Fortunately for us we have some Euros left over from our trip to Lanzarote in February so I'll be bringing those to exchange at the airport.

Edited by SellaVee

Most stores and restaurants accept USD, Euro and of course XPF. Some of the smaller vendors will want XPF. Do not exchange at LAX, it is the worst conversion given. At the airport in Tahiti there is a bank ATM where you can use a credit/debit card to get some XPF. The ATM machine is to the right when leaving customs, about 150 feet close to the street. There are also ATM's across the street from the dock area as well as the ferry terminal next to the dock area. You can also exchange on-board from the reception office. They give a far exchange rate.

We typically use our credit cards when possible as the exchange rate is fair. We specifically use a Capital One card as they do not charge in foreign transaction fees. We get enough XPF from an ATM to make it through the trip for the purchases from small vendors. If your staying pre-cruise at the IC Tahiti you can walk down to the Moana shopping center where there is a bank.

On Aitutaki some private excursion vendors only accept local currency so make plans accordingly.

I rarely see Euros mentioned on this board, for obvious reasons, but I think for those of us who don't use USD in our home countries, buying Euros to use in French Polynesia is a better bet than buying dollars. I saw a website price list where Euros were far better value than USD.

In our case we don't even need to buy them, but I've only recently realised I can spend them in French Polynesia. Yay! I'd always planned to get local currency from the ATM at PPT but was worried in case my UK bank card didn't work. Now I feel I've an extra layer of security.

Because we can't fly directly to French Polynesia we're stopping over in California for a few days. This means we'll have USD too.

We're staying in Moorea pre-cruise and Tahiti post-cruise. Do taxi drivers accept all 3 currencies? We've been asked to pay for our shuttle to the IC in XPF.

Thanks for the heads up about Aitutaki.

I rarely see Euros mentioned on this board, for obvious reasons, but I think for those of us who don't use USD in our home countries, buying Euros to use in French Polynesia is a better bet than buying dollars. I saw a website price list where Euros were far better value than USD.

In our case we don't even need to buy them, but I've only recently realised I can spend them in French Polynesia. Yay! I'd always planned to get local currency from the ATM at PPT but was worried in case my UK bank card didn't work. Now I feel I've an extra layer of security.

Because we can't fly directly to French Polynesia we're stopping over in California for a few days. This means we'll have USD too.

We're staying in Moorea pre-cruise and Tahiti post-cruise. Do taxi drivers accept all 3 currencies? We've been asked to pay for our shuttle to the IC in XPF.

Thanks for the heads up about Aitutaki.

Yes taxi will accept all three on Tahiti and Moorea. However, expect the best rate using XPF. The taxi rates are based on XPF and when they need to convert they don't pull out a calculator ... they simply convert in their head in round numbers having themselves covered meaning the rate may be slightly higher if your not paying in XPF. Also remember rates on Tahiti go up 50% between sunset and sunrise.

Lisa, I'm surprised no one from Canada has given you any advice on this. We have a similar problem coming from the UK.

We will need some US$ for our stopover in California but it seemed that we'd be hit for fees twice if we then changed those into XPF. I worried that Sterling, ie £GB, might be hard to exchange so I investigated further and discovered that the XPF is fixed against the Euro. Fortunately for us we have some Euros left over from our trip to Lanzarote in February so I'll be bringing those to exchange at the airport.

Thank you SellaVee for your reflections, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

It's great that you have the leftover Euros to convert to XPF. I, agree, it would have been great to hear from any Canadians who travel to FP for their first hand advise on this process.

I just booked the Pure Snorkeling excursion in Bora Bora last week on my Canadian VISA credit card and the 22,500 XPF cost resulted in a charge of $301.36 Can$ (it is showing a conversion rate of 0.01339 for that day's conversion). So I guess we will convert some Can$ to XPF before leaving Toronto, take along our Canadian credit cards, and then try that ATM machine that people mention at the airport in PPT for more local currency.

Thank you SellaVee for your reflections, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

It's great that you have the leftover Euros to convert to XPF. I, agree, it would have been great to hear from any Canadians who travel to FP for their first hand advise on this process.

I just booked the Pure Snorkeling excursion in Bora Bora last week on my Canadian VISA credit card and the 22,500 XPF cost resulted in a charge of $301.36 Can$ (it is showing a conversion rate of 0.01339 for that day's conversion). So I guess we will convert some Can$ to XPF before leaving Toronto, take along our Canadian credit cards, and then try that ATM machine that people mention at the airport in PPT for more local currency.

Sorry, I somehow didn't see this post from March. We have never got XPF before leaving Toronto. You really do not need to do that. Just go to the ATM at the airport and get some, perhaps about $200 worth or so, depending on how much shopping you think you'll be doing. You only need local currency for small vendors, like stalls on the islands and Motu Mahana, and possibly cabs. Larger vendors take credit cards--just use your cards.

When you clear customs with your luggage, if you turn right and walk towards the quieter end of the terminal, there is an ATM machine there, near the domestic departure gates. There is another ATM near the centre of the terminal, but it was lined up last time we went, and the other had no line at all.

Have a great trip. With the late spring we're having, I'm jealous!

Sorry, I somehow didn't see this post from March. We have never got XPF before leaving Toronto. You really do not need to do that. Just go to the ATM at the airport and get some, perhaps about $200 worth or so, depending on how much shopping you think you'll be doing. You only need local currency for small vendors, like stalls on the islands and Motu Mahana, and possibly cabs. Larger vendors take credit cards--just use your cards.

When you clear customs with your luggage, if you turn right and walk towards the quieter end of the terminal, there is an ATM machine there, near the domestic departure gates. There is another ATM near the centre of the terminal, but it was lined up last time we went, and the other had no line at all.

Have a great trip. With the late spring we're having, I'm jealous!

Hi Wendy,

Many thanks for the response and the tip about the ATM machines. :)

Do you use your regular Canadian credit card (I use VISA but it does charge international fees)? Or is there a Canadian CC that does not charge for international conversions?

Thanks for your kind wishes, we are certainly excited about this first trip to what seems will be paradise!

Hi Wendy,

Many thanks for the response and the tip about the ATM machines. :)

Do you use your regular Canadian credit card (I use VISA but it does charge international fees)? Or is there a Canadian CC that does not charge for international conversions?

Thanks for your kind wishes, we are certainly excited about this first trip to what seems will be paradise!

Hi Lisa, we just use our regular credit cards and let the fees fall where they may. Don't make a lot of purchases while we're there. A couple of times we've bought pearls. And of course there are restaurants and hotels. For large establishments I use my Amex Gold which I don't believe charges fees, but not really sure, or about my RBC VISA, frankly.

Are you staying somewhere pre-cruise? What part of Toronto do you live in? We live in the Annex.

Hi Lisa, we just use our regular credit cards and let the fees fall where they may. Don't make a lot of purchases while we're there. A couple of times we've bought pearls. And of course there are restaurants and hotels. For large establishments I use my Amex Gold which I don't believe charges fees, but not really sure, or about my RBC VISA, frankly.

Are you staying somewhere pre-cruise? What part of Toronto do you live in? We live in the Annex.

Hi Wendy,

We are staying on the island of Tahiti at the Manava Suite Resort for two days and touring the island (and acclimatizing to the time change) before boarding the PG on July 18.

We live in the East York/Leaside area of Toronto.

Thank you for the advice about the credit cards, I think that we will do the same. I was hoping to buy some type of pearl jewelry as a keepsake of the trip as well as smaller souvenirs.

Cheers,

Lisa

We usually hit the Airport ATM when we land.

We sometimes have taken a couple of hundred Cdn$ worth of XPF from Toronto or bought it in LAX.

One year the rate at the IC Toronto was better than any other. Ask the Manava if they have an ATM,

Basically, a crap shoot.

I like to have some XPF ...major purchases I use a card or USD.

We usually hit the Airport ATM when we land.

We sometimes have taken a couple of hundred Cdn$ worth of XPF from Toronto or bought it in LAX.

One year the rate at the IC Toronto was better than any other. Ask the Manava if they have an ATM,

Basically, a crap shoot.

I like to have some XPF ...major purchases I use a card or USD.

Thanks Wendy, I agree...we will take some XPF from Toronto, then get some more from the ATM machine at the PPT airport and use a credit card for any major purchases.

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated!

Thanks Wendy, I agree...we will take some XPF from Toronto, then get some more from the ATM machine at the PPT airport and use a credit card for any major purchases.

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated!

Not Wendy...but Miriam!

Enjoy the PG

Hi there, I'm late for this conversation

We left Ottawa last July with a few 100$ worth of XPF (quite nice bill BTW). We didn't have too but we did anyway. No problem getting them from our bank (a few days). It lasted a few days and we eventually went to the local ATM downtown. We used our debit card with no problem). We always paid in XPF everywhere (except our ship - which was WS this time).

Have fun :-)

Hi there, I'm late for this conversation

We left Ottawa last July with a few 100$ worth of XPF (quite nice bill BTW). We didn't have too but we did anyway. No problem getting them from our bank (a few days). It lasted a few days and we eventually went to the local ATM downtown. We used our debit card with no problem). We always paid in XPF everywhere (except our ship - which was WS this time).

Have fun :-)

Thanks so much for the information and wishes Dandee!

• 1 month later...

We are also from the Toronto area and heading to PF this fall. I'm reading that you need XPF for the stalls at Bora Bora motu. Is that for food and souvenir purchases? What kind of souvenirs are available at the stalls (how much should we bring)? Thanks, Cindy

We are also from the Toronto area and heading to PF this fall. I'm reading that you need XPF for the stalls at Bora Bora motu. Is that for food and souvenir purchases? What kind of souvenirs are available at the stalls (how much should we bring)? Thanks, Cindy

There are stalls on Motu Mahana, not on BB. Also stalls around the docking area on Moorea, and lots of shops and a group of stalls at the dock in Bora Bora. (No need for cash in the shops themselves, nor if you buy pearls or pearl jewellery from the vendors from Taha'a at the motu--just for the small stuff.

Pearl and mother-of-pearl jewellery, but watch out that it's genuine. I love this stuff, but have been fooled by laminate.

Pareos, shell jewellery and decorative items. In some places there are wood carvings and tapa cloths, but this is generally either in the Marquesas or at the large Marché in Papeete.

Vanilla beans. Monoi oil (coconut oil scented with gardenia or other concoctions.)

Have a great time Cindy, fall is such a nice time to go.

Thanks for the information. How does one know if it's a real pearl or laminate (if you buy from a stall)?

We are stopping on 2 Cook Islands on this trip too. The 11 day journey is in early September. Should we normally expect rain or storms? I read some people had really rainy weather during this time period. I'm concerned if we book private tours and the ship is rerouted to avoid bad weather...

Thanks.

There was a post on "YVR deals" (vancouver) that listed a few canadian credit cards that give you 3% or 4% back on foreign transactions. I applied for the Rogers card that will credit my Rogers Cell phone bill. you can go to yyvdeals, click on articles and June 6th has the info.