Microbrewery vs. Distillery

Shelby1097

Hi all! I’ll be in Nassau this June on the Carnival Elation. I’ve been reading about a couple of different options. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the microbrewery and distillery. I’ve read both are close to the port. What was your experience, prices, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 2016, I walked to the John Watlings distillery. The tour of the facility was free and very enjoyable. An optional tasting of the runs was available for around $10 (US). I didn’t partake as i have very little alcohol tolerance and didn’t want to be tipsy walking back to the shop. I did bring back a bottle of their dark rum for my hubby (girls cruise or else he would have joined me). The bottle was around $65 (US) but he LOVED it. Excellent for drinking straight or for rum/colas.

I recommend both! Easily accomplished in one day.

The Pirate Republic Brewery is the only microbrewery in the Bahamas. It’s a 5 minute walk from the port. They have daily guided tours of their facility with the tour guide in full pirate attire. Check their Facebook page for times. Our guide was hilarious and gave us an in depth history of the many famous pirates that spent time in the waters around the islands. The tour was $14 per person and included a flight of beer and a hot pretzel at the end.

The John Watling Rum Distillery is about a 15 minute walk from the Pirate Republic. As others have said the tours are free but the tastings have a nominal charge.

On the walk back to the port I recommend you make a stop at the Graycliff Chocolate Factory.

What I found useful is to print a google map with the locations of each of your stops marked. Depending on your cellular provider you may not have data service (or be billed roaming fees) while in Nassau. So it’s good to have a paper copy.

• 2 weeks later...