Did anyone else see the story today...

cltdad

About the woman who was 25 weeks pregnant and was refused boarding on the Magic and went running to the media about it? Claims she was intimidated by armed guards and that her vacation for her family of 10 was ruined. Wish I knew how to post a link....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

About the woman who was 25 weeks pregnant and was refused boarding on the Magic and went running to the media about it? Claims she was intimidated by armed guards and that her vacation for her family of 10 was ruined. Wish I knew how to post a link....

Well, the story was out on Friday: https://amp.local10.com/news/local/miami/pregnant-woman-says-armed-guards-threatened-her-family-amid-disney-cruise-dispute

A few flaws - she claims she didn't know there was a 24 week limit. Except the cruise contract that was agreed to when the reservation was made specifically states that. AND, when online check in is done, there is a specific question "Is anyone in the party going to be 24 weeks pregnant prior to or during the cruise?"

She says DCL wouldn't let any of her party cruise. That's not exactly true. Only she was stopped from cruising. But, apparently the party was "intimidated" to the degree that people started getting pushy with the security (which by the way isn't DCL, but port security). Anyway, when they got into it with security, THEN they were all told they couldn't cruise.

She said, they were waiting onboard for their key cards so they could get their luggage. You can't get on the ship without the card.

To top it all off, DCL refunded their fares. THAT'S what I don't get.

Did you use your Golden Ladle to stir the pot? :D

But it does seem that passengers who do not follow the rules &/or bring proper documentation run to the media crying "oh, woe is me".

The policy is there for a very good reason. Although most pregnant women enjoy all kinds of activities without experiencing complications, there's no way of knowing for certain in advance which ones might experience premature labor. At 24 weeks, the baby may be viable if delivered, but will need lots of serious care to survive, and may suffer complications requiring lifelong medical care. A cruise ship doesn't have a labor and delivery unit, nor a neonatal intensive care unit onboard. The potential suffering is huge, as is the potential liability.

A family that will go on TV to complain about how badly they were treated at being denied boarding is probably the kind that would go on TV and/or to court to complain about how the rudimentary medical care on the ship caused their baby's death or caused their baby's handicap that will require a lifetime of expensive medical care. As bad as the suffering of the guests and poor publicity for Disney from a denied boarding is, it's nothing compared to suffering of the guests and poor publicity that might happen due to premature labor with no adequate medical facilities nearby.

That's why the policy is spelled out in the contract and printed in the booklet you receive before the cruise, and why the question is asked on the embarkation form, both paper and online.

Perhaps Disney could have handled the situation in a more gracious way -- we weren't there to see exactly how things played out. But I'm not the least bit surprised that Disney agents were extremely firm in not allowing the expectant mother to board.

She's a YouTuber whose ad revenue is based on views. If she knew she needed a letter then she knew the cut off was 24 weeks and this was all a farce to get YouTube views. Getting her video on the news is basically the best case scenario for her.

I'm a millennial and it makes me so mad that people like this are exactly what give us a bad rap. lol

Those are not "armed guards"; they are sworn Miami Dade Police. Yes they carry long guns; seaports and airports are known terror targets (ever been overseas? long guns everywhere). What a horrible woman. The news is going to show her as a sympathetic figure we should all feel sorry for - nothing could be farther from the truth....

I have no sympathy for her. As we all know, the cruise contract simply states that the cut off is 24 weeks, and you can't make me believe she didn't know that. Besides, why be upset at the cruiseline for enforcing their policies?

I wonder if they had insurance.

I read somewhere a few years back, that a cruise ship is NOT a place you want to have a baby or pregnancy complications. Personally, I wouldn't be cruising if I was pregnant at all. Especially with Zika.

On the other hand, you have a better chance to survive a heart attack, because they're so close.

I saw the Miami Herald article. A bit one-sided and sensational, but you can read between the lines. Certainly a tough deal for her and her family, but it sounds like her dad turned into a total jack @ss at the port prompting security to get involved.

Can't blame him for being upset, and I certainly haven't been in that situation, but if you cross the line, stuff will happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Here:

I read the article.The rules are plainly posted. But there are some unanswered questions. She stated she did not book the cruise so that begs a couple of ?'s !1) When was it and how far in advance was it booked 2) Was she pregnant at the time. 3) Was she informed in time to make a valid decision of whether to go or not. 4) Did some else say we can make it work.

DCL went far and above what they had to do. And I don't even like anything Disney.

A sad situation for the family.

I read the article.The rules are plainly posted. But there are some unanswered questions. She stated she did not book the cruise so that begs a couple of ?'s !1) When was it and how far in advance was it booked 2) Was she pregnant at the time. 3) Was she informed in time to make a valid decision of whether to go or not. 4) Did some else say we can make it work.

DCL went far and above what they had to do. And I don't even like anything Disney.

A sad situation for the family.

Bottom line that can't be refuted is the pregnant woman KNEW well in advance of the rules. Because she arrived WITH a letter from her doctor saying she was healthy at 25 weeks of pregnancy to travel/cruise.

In the video, she is told 24 weeks is the cut off and she says "but" my Dr. says it's OK for me to travel/cruise. That "but" is very telling. That means 'I KNOW the rules BUT I'm special and my Dr. thinks I'm special and has OK'd me to travel/cruise at 25 weeks'.

That lady behaved horribly, IMO. No mass market cruise line allows sailing if a woman is over 24 weeks pregnant, for really good reasons. Her contract and cruise documents would have all stated that fact. She thought ahead to get a doctor's note, so she knew she was outside the cruise line's policies. She just wanted to get away with it.

Shame on her.

Bottom line that can't be refuted is the pregnant woman KNEW well in advance of the rules. Because she arrived WITH a letter from her doctor saying she was healthy at 25 weeks of pregnancy to travel/cruise.

In the video, she is told 24 weeks is the cut off and she says "but" my Dr. says it's OK for me to travel/cruise. That "but" is very telling. That means 'I KNOW the rules BUT I'm special and my Dr. thinks I'm special and has OK'd me to travel/cruise at 25 weeks'.

Agreed, but still doesn't answer the ?'s of when it was booked and was she already pregnant. Her father may have said "They will let you on board with a letter from your DR."

Personally I don't care, but things are not always what they look like.

Then again maybe they were trying to Scam Disney. Who cares

How can the cruiseline prove if someone is more than 24 weeks in the first place? Had she not given the letter, there would have been no proof and she could have boarded.

The cruise line would not have let her board. The letter was crucial and required for her to board the cruise.

Buyers remorse, idiot either did not read contract or ignored it. Since she had the dreaded "doctor's note", she knew the policy and got caught. Because the boob wouldn't leave, the police were called. How dare they arrive still armed, she had a case of the vapors. NON STORY

How can the cruiseline prove if someone is more than 24 weeks in the first place? Had she not given the letter, there would have been no proof and she could have boarded.
This is the part that places all the blame on the family. There is no way for Disney to know. She could have lied and had no issues boarding, but then Disney would not be liable for anything that happened if she went into labor because she lied and falsified information. They brought the letter and informed Disney because they wanted to be able to both get on the boat *and* hold Disney liable if anything went wrong.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

I have been following this story, she says that someone else booked the cruise 2 weeks ago. I think that she was going to lie about how many weeks she was pregnant, but that someone recognized her and showed the video she made that stated she was 24 weeks. Then she produced the Doctor’s note which they rejected. They will not answer my questions about the online check in,I told them that someone lied on that form. The worst is that her mother has said that they have photos of someone’s information. They want that person to contact them so that they can sue Disney. I told them that they were dragging an innocent person into this and that they were being vindictive.

This is the part that places all the blame on the family. There is no way for Disney to know. She could have lied and had no issues boarding, but then Disney would not be liable for anything that happened if she went into labor because she lied and falsified information. They brought the letter and informed Disney because they wanted to be able to both get on the boat *and* hold Disney liable if anything went wrong.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

Isn't it more that the cruise line employees checking in guests, can see that she is visibly pregnant. Customer then is required to have the proper documentation to board. They would ask her for it. If she lied and said "I am only 20 weeks pregnant", then the employees would say "sorry, without proof by your dr.'s completed form/letter, you can not board". Same outcome.

I have been following this story, she says that someone else booked the cruise 2 weeks ago. I think that she was going to lie about how many weeks she was pregnant, but that someone recognized her and showed the video she made that stated she was 24 weeks. Then she produced the Doctor’s note which they rejected. They will not answer my questions about the online check in,I told them that someone lied on that form. The worst is that her mother has said that they have photos of someone’s information. They want that person to contact them so that they can sue Disney. I told them that they were dragging an innocent person into this and that they were being vindictive.

Elka,

What is it any of your business to get personally involved in this by contacting Disney?