Some Musings From a Newbie on Mariner TA

gjkov

Following in the footsteps of Mr. Rumor, Jennifer, Crisy, Wes, TC, Susan and others, I hope I can do justice to some blogging and perhaps offer a slightly different perspective from a “newbie” on Regent. And hope others on the ship feel free to join in with their own thoughts and observations.

We are not rookie travelers. We have been land travelers for many years, until last July, when we took our first cruise. It was a multigenerational (ages 11-71) Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise, which we enjoyed tremendously! And so here we are embarking on a journey that will hit two travel bucket list items simultaneously….a Transatlantic Cruise and a cruise on Regent.

To “set the table” as Mr. Rumor always does so nicely, it would be untrue to say we are going into this cruise without any expectations. Reading blogs, reviews, CC and Fodor’s thread postings, information from the Regent website has given us insight (and sometimes conflicting points of view). But we do try to enter into all new experiences (travel or otherwise) with open minds and open hearts. Sometimes that’s easier than others…

Our travel from Minneapolis to Barcelona took far longer than expected. What was supposed to be about 12 hours total travel, with delay at MSP and flight cancellation for Air France strike in Paris, it took about 32 hours. An interesting way begin our journey!

But our luggage arrived and we were picked up and transported by private vehicle (with a wonderful, little unexpected “tour” of Barcelona by our driver) to the beautiful Grand Hotel Central in the heart of the city. After a cocktail and snack at the rooftop bar, we were more than ready for a good night’s sleep.

This morning our bags were whisked away by the Regent folks and we at least had a few hours to explore around the hotel.

Now we are awaiting our transfer to the ship, so the excitement builds…

gjkov, Fair Winds & Following seas for your Mariner crossing. Look forward to reading your impressions of the refurbed Mariner and to read about your experiences with Regent.

We are not newbies to either Regent or Mariner, but I thought this would be a good place for very first impressions. Boarding was easy. We were sent to the blue carpet line, not in a named suite, Penthouse and Gold, not clear what the criteria was, but appreciated it. Everything smells new! Same carpeting as Voyager that there has been so much discussion about. New mosaic tile around pool. We are very happy to be back “home” on Regent! Time to unpack.

I am so happy to see postings from the Mariner! I do have one question about boarding. Was boarding for Seven Seas Suites and above as well a Gold and above Seven Seas Society members? This is what I heard would be the case but red to check before I "advertise" the pre-boarding for Regent's loyal customers.

Thanks much! Enjoy every moment of your cruise.

I am so happy to see postings from the Mariner! I do have one question about boarding. Was boarding for Seven Seas Suites and above as well a Gold and above Seven Seas Society members? This is what I heard would be the case but red to check before I "advertise" the pre-boarding for Regent's loyal customers.

From the perspective of a newcomer, I didn't notice a special boarding line. There were two lines and one was a bit shorter, but once you got to the head of your line people were sent alternately from each line as a check in person became available. If there was signage or the like for the higher suites check in I didn't see it.

Jackie, we did not know the circumstances of others in our very short line. A Regent employee looked at our documents and directed us to the blue carpet. The terminal staff then called us to the next open desk. Enjoy the last days of your cruise. Safe travels home. I always enjoy your posts. Jan

The transportation from the hotel was very good and comfortable. And much like Briar14, we found the check in to be very quick and easy.

Onboard there were many comments around us from those who could immediately see the differences. The carpet in the main areas is the same as TC posted a photo of previously. I would certainly not pick it for my home, but I'll bet it doesn't show stains very easily. We've been too busy just finding our way to lunch and then our room to notice any artwork or other decor. The picture in our room is not really our style for home, but not objectionable. Everything is quite lovely!

We had a nice lunch with a couple who have more than 300 nights on Regent. They were very pleasant and a good source of information.

Waiting for our luggage to arrive and muster drill soon. Then we can begin exploring the ship!

Looking forward to your comments regarding your cruise. Glad to hear your boarding when smooth. I'm guessing all the comments on this board about boarding the ship is much about nothing and should be dropped. People just don't care, they want to enjoy the cruise they waited for.....Thanks for posting, so sit back and enjoy your holiday/vacation the why you want - hope all will be as you expected. Enjoy! Rick

The separate check-in lines for Mariner in Barcelona were only for named suites; not for those with SSS status.

Check-in was not very efficiently handled by the port agents.

Plenty of check in desks but what appeared to be slowing things down was:

• not having the health questionnaires distributed and filled out in advance. This had to be done during the check in process
  • personnel wiping down the check-in desks with antibacterial sprays between each customer. Very commendable but then everyone was using the same unwiped pens to fill in the health questionnaire :rolleyes:

Rachel, I was very glad both about not missing the ship and getting all our luggage! I packed carefully, with enough in the carry on to last several days, if needed and other items distributed between the two checked bags. Was nice to not have to deal with any of my lost luggage fears.

We had our health questionnaires in advance, in the envelope we received at the hotel. But probably not everyone received them ahead.

And since the only experience we have had was boarding a Royal Caribbean ship with 4000 others, this boarding experience seemed very quick, easy and quite sane!

The items we requested ahead (distilled water and certain beverages) were all in our cabin when we arrived. Our baggage all came before the muster drill, so I was able to unpack, too.

The muster drill was also much quicker and easier than trying to accomplish the same on the much larger RCL ship. And we enjoyed chatting with people around us as we waited for everyone to arrive at our muster station in the Theater.

Then time for before dinner cocktails, where we met more interesting people and then dinner in Compass Rose. It was very good, nicely presented and food was proper temperatures. I heard some complaints about the dinner service at the lounge after dinner, but we had no service issues.

We’ve only used the WiFi a few times, but has been very decent so far. Fingers crossed that continues! I am still trying to figure out Tapatalk to post some photos. I might have to take some more instruction before that happens.

All in all a very nice first day on Regent!

We hope your first Regent cruise is as wonderful as ours was. If so, you may find yourself getting bitten by the Regent Cruise bug. Looking forward to seeing pics of the new Mariner, but also excited to hop onboard on the 18th in Miami.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We hope your first Regent cruise is as wonderful as ours was. If so, you may find yourself getting bitten by the Regent Cruise bug. Looking forward to seeing pics of the new Mariner, but also excited to hop onboard on the 18th in Miami.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Z. We drank a Hendrix and tonic last night in your honor!

Thanks Wes, Jackie and PapaFlamingo!

Calm seas all night and a very comfortable bed provided us a great night's sleep!

The bathroom is lovely and Gene's crazy about the shower. I loved it too.

Breakfast in LaVeranda was delicious. We then had the opportunity to meet Jason Montague and chat with him. That was an unexpected pleasure!

Service has been top notch so far. I've worked in hospitality management for nearly 30 years and the staff/team is always a most precious asset!

We're sailing into Cartagena now. It's a beautiful, sunny day. Just like summer here! Made even more delightful for the fact that we left home in

the snow.

Looking forward to your comments regarding your cruise. Glad to hear your boarding when smooth. I'm guessing all the comments on this board about boarding the ship is much about nothing and should be dropped. People just don't care, they want to enjoy the cruise they waited for.....Thanks for posting, so sit back and enjoy your holiday/vacation the why you want - hope all will be as you expected. Enjoy! Rick

Thanks Rick! I'm anticipating our first Regent cruise to be as good as yours was 😃

We are not newbies to either Regent or Mariner, but I thought this would be a good place for very first impressions. Boarding was easy. We were sent to the blue carpet line, not in a named suite, Penthouse and Gold, not clear what the criteria was, but appreciated it. Everything smells new! Same carpeting as Voyager that there has been so much discussion about. New mosaic tile around pool. We are very happy to be back “home” on Regent! Time to unpack.

Thank you for your observations about boarding as this is an important issue to many long time Regent guests and should not be let go. I heard from corporate that Seven Seas Society members (Gold and above) would be welcome to board early "soon" (not sure what "soon" means but it has been over 4 months since we were told this by Corporate).

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your observations about boarding as this is an important issue to many long time Regent guests and should not be let go. I heard from corporate that Seven Seas Society members (Gold and above) would be welcome to board early "soon" (not sure what "soon" means but it has been over 4 months since we were told this by Corporate).

Enjoy your cruise!

Well, isn’t that going to make “priority boarding” somewhat of a misnomer, since well over 30% of guests on our last cruise were gold or above SSS members.

How is the revised system going to be implemented? Will there be three or more separate lines for check-in?

Well, isn’t that going to make “priority boarding” somewhat of a misnomer, since well over 30% of guests on our last cruise were gold or above SSS members.

How is the revised system going to be implemented? Will there be three or more separate lines for check-in?

We keep this up, there will need to be about 750 separate lines for check in...

We enjoyed a very nice included tour that took us to the Conception Castle, the scenic route on a winding highway to La Manga and return to Cartagena. It was a beautiful day, we had a very good guide and driver and a great group.

Enjoyed tea with some new friends and then cocktail before dinner at Setti Mari. Delicious food and great service! Also engaged in conversation with a very nice couple seated next to us.

Wifi has been spotty today, but good connection now and was able to post photos to Facebook.

Now off to the show...Lovena B Fox.

We enjoyed a very nice included tour that took us to the Conception Castle, the scenic route on a winding highway to La Manga and return to Cartagena. It was a beautiful day, we had a very good guide and driver and a great group.

Enjoyed tea with some new friends and then cocktail before dinner at Setti Mari. Delicious food and great service! Also engaged in conversation with a very nice couple seated next to us.

Wifi has been spotty today, but good connection now and was able to post photos to Facebook.

Now off to the show...Lovena B Fox.

We saw Lovena Fox on another luxury line and she is fabulous. We have her CD and she does a mean Tina Turner and Dionne Warwick and other artists and she is lovely to meet in person. Hope you enjoyed.

I am still trying to figure out Tapatalk to post some photos. I might have to take some more instruction before that happens.

Gikov, I am really enjoying your posts, thanks for sharing your impressions of the Mariner.

The very kind WesW provided to me these instructions for posting photos (thank you Wes):

First, download tapatalkusing your App Store on your mobile device (smartphone/tablet) Go to cruisecritic and click on P-Z forums, then on Regent. Find your thread. Hit reply andto the left of the reply box is a circle with a plus in it. Press, thenclick/press on the small mountain icon...this will allow u to choose your photo( generallly I select medium or best option) then post.