Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

Greetings,

I will be on Sirena next month for an 8 day Cuba cruise.

I dont plan on taking a suit or sport coat.

Just a Guayabera shirt, Hawaiian shirt, linen and docker pants, and huarache shoes. Will these be acceptable wear for evening dining in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

Thank you.

AA4D09E6-1CE5-451B-B447-137386DA50AA_zpsrp9igguw.jpeg

IMHO it's not proper attire for the MDR or specialty restaurants on Oceania, maybe on Carnival Princess or Norwegian . If you choose to eat dinner every night at the buffet in the Terrace Cafe it's fine.

We where on the LA to Papeett cruise January 2017 and 90% of men wore sport jackets and or button down shirts.

In the specialty restaurants I would say around 98%.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

We have been on two Oceania cruises in the past year and a half. I would say that less than 50% of the men wore sport coats to dinner, even in the specialty restaurants. However, the majority wore button down shirts.

IMHO it's not proper attire for the MDR or specialty restaurants on Oceania, maybe on Carnival Princess or Norwegian . If you choose to eat dinner every night at the buffet in the Terrace Cafe it's fine.

We where on the LA to Papeett cruise January 2017 and 90% of men wore sport jackets and or button down shirts.

In the specialty restaurants I would say around 98%.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

I strongly disagree. Your proposed attire is entirely within the published guidelines and is very commonly seen on cruises in tropical climates including the Caribbean and the Med. You will not be alone.

This is a long and contentious issue on this board often due to the desires of a few cruisers to impose their personal preferences on others. Acrusa confuses the issue by combining sport jackets and button down shirts. By my observation over 9 Oceania cruises sport jackets are strongly in the minority in the MDR and may run 50% or so in the specialties. Polo type shirts and collared button downs are probably evenly mixed with a liberal dose of Hawaiian shirts. As is often observed the Carib tends to be a bit more casual and longer and northern Europe cruises a bit more formal.

One of the beauties of Oceania is that one can dress (and pack) for comfort. Few people judge or even notice the attire of others (men anyway) as long as you are within the published standards. I have worn a sport jacket on perhaps 4 or 5 of 40 or 50+ dinners in the specialties on special occasions such as anniversaries. I have probable worn Hawaiian shirts on maybe 30% of MDR dinners, polo shirts another 30 or 40% and button downs the rest. I know and travel with some men who feel more comfortable in a sport jacket. I do not judge them nor do they judge me. It is a matter of personal preference and comfort.

Enjoy your cruise, Robbie

I strongly disagree. Your proposed attire is entirely within the published guidelines and is very commonly seen on cruises in tropical climates including the Caribbean and the Med. You will not be alone.

This is a long and contentious issue on this board often due to the desires of a few cruisers to impose their personal preferences on others.

Agree 100%;)

I think we’re being trolled. 1. He told everyone what he’s not bringing. 2. He’s told everyone what he is wearing.

Do you think he really cares about anyone’s opinion? He’s just trolling to get everyone’s juices flowing with another dress code thread!

Well it didn't sound like trolling to me. We have many O cruises and the only time DH wears a jacket is during the holidays. He has worn those shoes many times. The long pants hide the shoes. Many Hawaiian shirts, etc. I cringe when I see tees, even though some are good, and I really don't prefer Polo shirts, but they are acceptable. He should suit himself. Nothing he has proposed seems really icky!

I think we’re being trolled. 1. He told everyone what he’s not bringing. 2. He’s told everyone what he is wearing.

Do you think he really cares about anyone’s opinion? He’s just trolling to get everyone’s juices flowing with another dress code thread!

Well it didn't sound like trolling to me. We have many O cruises and the only time DH wears a jacket is during the holidays. He has worn those shoes many times. The long pants hide the shoes. Many Hawaiian shirts, etc. I cringe when I see tees, even though some are good, and I really don't prefer Polo shirts, but they are acceptable. He should suit himself. Nothing he has proposed seems really icky!

To the pinotlover. Trolling? Thanks for the unkind and smug remarks. (n) 1. Yes, I really care. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t ask for opinions from Oceania PAXs about packing a sports coat. I prefer not, but if I need to, I would. By consensus of opinion, I got my answer. (y) 2. I mentioned what I plan to wear and if it was acceptable for dining in the MDR /specialty restaurants. Especially wearing huaraches. That’s why I posted a pic. On Celebrity those could be considered sandals/beach footwear and not allowed in the evening in MDR. . So, how would I know if I would be allowed in the MDR/specialty restaurants if I didn’t ask here, having never sailed on Oceania? Thankfully, there have been many helpful and positive comments from Oceania PAXs that gave me consensus that I’ll be ok with what I plan to wear,(y) FWIW, coming from Princess and Celebrity mass cruise lines, PAXs don’t always follow the suggested dress codes.

And thank you to all others who chimed in with helpful and positive comments !

We’re looking forward to great cuisine, staff, and friendly congenial Oceania PAXs on our first sailing with Oceania next month to Cuba. We think Oceania be a nice change from our cruises with Princess and Celebrity. :)

No need to posts further. I got my answers. Thanks again.

Regards,

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Greetings,

I will be on Sirena next month for an 8 day Cuba cruise.

I dont plan on taking a suit or sport coat.

Just a Guayabera shirt, Hawaiian shirt, linen and docker pants, and huarache shoes. Will these be acceptable wear for evening dining in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

Thank you.

AA4D09E6-1CE5-451B-B447-137386DA50AA_zpsrp9igguw.jpeg

Not sure how pax dress on Sirena. On our Jan(this year)cruise on Riviera pax dressed rather interestingly..I'll explain. I saw few "Hawaiian" shirts. Most pax had dress shirts & nice slacks. If khakis they were well pressed. About 25% wore sport coats in the Grand dining room. In the specialty rest. I'd put the suit/sport coat percentage at 75% or higher. This is the opposite of most lines where "Smart Casual" is the norm. Maybe about 5% wore ties, though we felt it was really too hot to do so. I felt the temps on board were really way too warm. Warmest I've ever seen on a ship. We brought a few sport coats & wore them in the specialty rest as well. Didn't see more than a few Guayabera shirts at night. Your dress style will fit the "Country Club" casual code as stated by the cruise line. I'd still suggest a sport coat to take along. Then see how the pax dress. You wouldn't want to be that pair of brown shoes in a room full of Tuxedos as George Gobel used to joke about. They did not allow jeans in any restaurant at night by the way. That was a nice breath of fresh air. Some Pax seem to take smart casual as anything but..

I've chatted with the King of Cool many times. He's trying out a new line(just as we did)Though we tend to be more dressy, he'll fit in well, I believe. I tried to tell him what we experienced on the Riviera recently. I'm sure the dress code vary. They usually do. On Celebrity Eclipse the dress style was generally more formal(longer trips) than the rest of the line. I feel that Riviera/Marina might be more dressy than the smaller Oceania ships. I did like the fact, that only ONE person wore jeans at night. I'm surprised he was let in, but he was the youngest on board & with his family(though the parents could have influenced him better)We like the decent dress style overall & the fantastic food enough to book a 14 day cruise next Jan.

I think I have worn a sport coat maybe twice in all of our O cruises. What the OP is proposing is within O's guidelines.

However I see you are also trying the QM2 and that would not suffice.

This is a long and contentious issue on this board often due to the desires of a few cruisers to impose their personal preferences on others. Acrusa confuses the issue by combining sport jackets and button down shirts. By my observation over 9 Oceania cruises sport jackets are strongly in the minority in the MDR and may run 50% or so in the specialties. Polo type shirts and collared button downs are probably evenly mixed with a liberal dose of Hawaiian shirts. As is often observed the Carib tends to be a bit more casual and longer and northern Europe cruises a bit more formal.

One of the beauties of Oceania is that one can dress (and pack) for comfort. Few people judge or even notice the attire of others (men anyway) as long as you are within the published standards. I have worn a sport jacket on perhaps 4 or 5 of 40 or 50+ dinners in the specialties on special occasions such as anniversaries. I have probable worn Hawaiian shirts on maybe 30% of MDR dinners, polo shirts another 30 or 40% and button downs the rest. I know and travel with some men who feel more comfortable in a sport jacket. I do not judge them nor do they judge me. It is a matter of personal preference and comfort.

As to the dress codes.. It's far more than a "few" who wish pax would follow the established dresscodes. It's more frequently the dress down crowd that wishes to impose "their" will on others by ignoring the codes & then try to embolden others to ignore it as well. They know in most cases staff are too scared to enforce the codes. This is the reason I've started seeing pax trying to "sneak" into the MDR at night in shorts & T shirts. When I see that, sorry, I get very vocal about it & I'm NOT alone. If I want to eat like I'm going to a flea market, then I'll go to a flea market. Until that time, I will complain about the ever increasing Slovenliness I've seen increasing as of late. I was really glad to see decent dress on Oceania Riviera, where Jeans are banned in the dining venues at night. I'm not looking for tuxes & formal suites, but I don't want to dine with the "Onslows" as well. King of Cool meets the standard as established. I may dress a bit more formal but that's my choice.

To the pinotlover. Trolling? Thanks for the unkind and smug remarks. (n) 1. Yes, I really care. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t ask for opinions from Oceania PAXs about packing a sports coat. I prefer not, but if I need to, I would. By consensus of opinion, I got my answer. (y) 2. I mentioned what I plan to wear and if it was acceptable for dining in the MDR /specialty restaurants. Especially wearing huaraches. That’s why I posted a pic. On Celebrity those could be considered sandals/beach footwear and not allowed in the evening in MDR. . So, how would I know if I would be allowed in the MDR/specialty restaurants if I didn’t ask here, having never sailed on Oceania? Thankfully, there have been many helpful and positive comments from Oceania PAXs that gave me consensus that I’ll be ok with what I plan to wear,(y) FWIW, coming from Princess and Celebrity mass cruise lines, PAXs don’t always follow the suggested dress codes.

And thank you to all others who chimed in with helpful and positive comments !

We’re looking forward to great cuisine, staff, and friendly congenial Oceania PAXs on our first sailing with Oceania next month to Cuba. We think Oceania be a nice change from our cruises with Princess and Celebrity. :)

No need to posts further. I got my answers. Thanks again.

Regards,

King

I've seen plenty of Huaraches on Celebrity. If they looked like the ones in your pic, they'd be fine. When they get ratty looking(and they can)then that's the time for a new pair. Also the Maître D sets the admission & some are obviously more strict then others. One thing you'll notice(at least on the Riviera) was the fantastic food. We have a food service business & I'll say this food topped all except when we did 2 cruises in the Grills on the QM2 several years back.

Not sure how pax dress on Sirena. On our Jan(this year)cruise on Riviera pax dressed rather interestingly..I'll explain. I saw few "Hawaiian" shirts. Most pax had dress shirts & nice slacks. If khakis they were well pressed. About 25% wore sport coats in the Grand dining room. In the specialty rest. I'd put the suit/sport coat percentage at 75% or higher. This is the opposite of most lines where "Smart Casual" is the norm. Maybe about 5% wore ties, though we felt it was really too hot to do so. I felt the temps on board were really way too warm. Warmest I've ever seen on a ship. We brought a few sport coats & wore them in the specialty rest as well. Didn't see more than a few Guayabera shirts at night. Your dress style will fit the "Country Club" casual code as stated by the cruise line. I'd still suggest a sport coat to take along. Then see how the pax dress. You wouldn't want to be that pair of brown shoes in a room full of Tuxedos as George Gobel used to joke about. They did not allow jeans in any restaurant at night by the way. That was a nice breath of fresh air. Some Pax seem to take smart casual as anything but..

I've chatted with the King of Cool many times. He's trying out a new line(just as we did)Though we tend to be more dressy, he'll fit in well, I believe. I tried to tell him what we experienced on the Riviera recently. I'm sure the dress code vary. They usually do. On Celebrity Eclipse the dress style was generally more formal(longer trips) than the rest of the line. I feel that Riviera/Marina might be more dressy than the smaller Oceania ships. I did like the fact, that only ONE person wore jeans at night. I'm surprised he was let in, but he was the youngest on board & with his family(though the parents could have influenced him better)We like the decent dress style overall & the fantastic food enough to book a 14 day cruise next Jan.

Hey keithm,

Thank you adding your helpful comments. Had me rethink what to wear on Oceania MDR/specialty restaurants. I haven’t been following the Princess and Celebrity “what to wear in MDR’ for awhile.

FWIW, I don’t know where that snarky comment from poster pinotlover about me trolling came from since this will be my first time sailing on Oceania.:mad:

As you know, anything goes on Princess for all manner of dress in the MDR. That’s why I asked what to wear for dinner on Oceania.

Yes, I remember, you are a professional in the restaurant and food service service industry. And you, in my opinion, know what is and isn’t proper dress for restaurant dining, and also have a fine appreciation for good cuisine. And for me, I value that you have the creds. :D(y)

So, based on your suggestions, I think I better pack a light linen sport coat, linen dress pants, a pair of dress black shoes, and a white dress shirt. “Just in case.” Still, my preference would be to wear my Guayabera shirts, casual pants, and my dress huaraches if the majority of PAX are dressed “Country Club” style in MDR/specialty restaurants. I will see what others are wearing for dining in the MDR/specialty restaurant. :)

Looking forward to the Oceania cruise next month to Cuba, and it should be a welcome change from Princess and Celebrity.

Thanks again. And happy cruising!

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I will just say your planned dress will be fine especially in the Caribbean

DH used to take his blazer to wear in the Specialties

but the last several cruises it has stayed home

If you feel more comfortable wearing a jacket then do so ...some men do not feel dressed for dinner without one but a nice shirt & slacks will be just fine

It is a personal choice

JMO

As to the dress codes.. It's far more than a "few" who wish pax would follow the established dresscodes. It's more frequently the dress down crowd that wishes to impose "their" will on others by ignoring the codes & then try to embolden others to ignore it as well. They know in most cases staff are too scared to enforce the codes. This is the reason I've started seeing pax trying to "sneak" into the MDR at night in shorts & T shirts. When I see that, sorry, I get very vocal about it & I'm NOT alone. If I want to eat like I'm going to a flea market, then I'll go to a flea market. Until that time, I will complain about the ever increasing Slovenliness I've seen increasing as of late. I was really glad to see decent dress on Oceania Riviera, where Jeans are banned in the dining venues at night. I'm not looking for tuxes & formal suites, but I don't want to dine with the "Onslows" as well. King of Cool meets the standard as established. I may dress a bit more formal but that's my choice.

Keith - I both disagree and agree with you ;)

Personally I have seen very few people trying to "push" the limits of the dress code and I have, on a couple of occasions seen the staff politely turn those folks away. Just not a significant problem in my experience. While many male passengers will be dressed casually in polo's or Hawaiian shirts and dockers I do not find "Slovenliness" to be an issue. Everyone looks to me to be neat and clean (and comfortable :D). I am sorry if your experience differs and I hope that Oceania continues to enforce it's published dress code. I agree that jeans on men are inappropriate and my pet peeve is baseball hats indoors.

As you (and I, also) said, within the published standards it is a matter of personal preference.

Robbie

As to the dress codes.. It's far more than a "few" who wish pax would follow the established dresscodes. It's more frequently the dress down crowd that wishes to impose "their" will on others by ignoring the codes & then try to embolden others to ignore it as well. They know in most cases staff are too scared to enforce the codes.

You just love dress codes. You are one who has attempted for years to impose your will on many dress threads over the years. And lost the battle every time. Glad the staff on Oceania has common sense......

I will just say your planned dress will be fine especially in the Caribbean

DH used to take his blazer to wear in the Specialties

but the last several cruises it has stayed home

If you feel more comfortable wearing a jacket then do so ...some men do not feel dressed for dinner without one but a nice shirt & slacks will be just fine

It is a personal choice

JMO

Like wearing caps?

Keith - I both disagree and agree with you ;)

Personally I have seen very few people trying to "push" the limits of the dress code and I have, on a couple of occasions seen the staff politely turn those folks away. Just not a significant problem in my experience. While many male passengers will be dressed casually in polo's or Hawaiian shirts and dockers I do not find "Slovenliness" to be an issue. Everyone looks to me to be neat and clean (and comfortable :D). I am sorry if your experience differs and I hope that Oceania continues to enforce it's published dress code. I agree that jeans on men are inappropriate and my pet peeve is baseball hats indoors.

As you (and I, also) said, within the published standards it is a matter of personal preference.

Robbie

I wear one of those Golf caddy hats(Cheese cutter, I think the Brits call them)I do wear them to dinner, but remove it once taken to the table. On our recent Jan. trip this guy had a hat every night(a different one for each night!)All different types of Fedoras. I'd love to know how he packed them all. He wore them, into each restaurant & did NOT take them off. Rather odd as he had a great head of hair. Staff did ask anyone with a ball cap to remove it, but not other hats. I did tell them I'll remove it upon arrival at the table. The slovenliness I saw has been on Celebrity & Princess. Everyone on our Riviera cruise was dressed properly except this early 20 something kid. Guy wore the SAME jeans every night. Thank God for self service laundry(hope he used it)

Hey keithm,

Thank you adding your helpful comments. Had me rethink what to wear on Oceania MDR/specialty restaurants. I haven’t been following the Princess and Celebrity “what to wear in MDR’ for awhile.

FWIW, I don’t know where that snarky comment from poster pinotlover about me trolling came from since this will be my first time sailing on Oceania.:mad:

As you know, anything goes on Princess for all manner of dress in the MDR. That’s why I asked what to wear for dinner on Oceania.

Yes, I remember, you are a professional in the restaurant and food service service industry. And you, in my opinion, know what is and isn’t proper dress for restaurant dining, and also have a fine appreciation for good cuisine. And for me, I value that you have the creds. :D(y)

So, based on your suggestions, I think I better pack a light linen sport coat, linen dress pants, a pair of dress black shoes, and a white dress shirt. “Just in case.” Still, my preference would be to wear my Guayabera shirts, casual pants, and my dress huaraches if the majority of PAX are dressed “Country Club” style in MDR/specialty restaurants. I will see what others are wearing for dining in the MDR/specialty restaurant. :)

Looking forward to the Oceania cruise next month to Cuba, and it should be a welcome change from Princess and Celebrity.

Thanks again. And happy cruising!

King

Definitely bring the Guayabera shirt! The linen sport coat will look nice. I used to have this very comfy linen suit. One night this guy says "Ewwww! Way too much linen, dude!" Considering the huge hole in the back of his jeans(showing everything!)I didn't feel so bad. Also check out youtube & check personal videos of PAX on their Oceania cruise. That can give you much better insight on how people will dress. You should find your trip to be very relaxing & unhurried. The daily tea service is a great relaxing perk. Let us know how you enjoy your trip!

Edited by keithm
additions

You just love dress codes. You are one who has attempted for years to impose your will on many dress threads over the years. And lost the battle every time. Glad the staff on Oceania has common sense......

True, but why don't you tell the whole story(instead of a half lie) of how these were cruise lines with formal night dress codes & I defended them & you imposed YOUR will on others to ignore them! I'd say you lost as many if not more battles than me. There were/are plenty who defend the dress codes. You just aren't one of them! By the way, I found the dress style on Oceania to be very nice. No shorts & no jeans at night. Smart casual that actually WAS smart.