Princess Outback Land Tour Hints

Cairn Mom

We just came back from a cruise of New Zealand and a land tour of the Outback. We are Platinum on Princess and enjoy cruising with them. We did a land tour of Alaska with them which we loved.

This tour was kind of a mixed bag. Here are some hints which would have made it better for us. I hope they help future travelers.

First off, if you are traveling with friends it is important to make sure your reservations and linked. Call Princess prior to leaving and make sure they know you must be together on the land tour.

We were unaware that there would be multiple groups so we did not do this and were separated from our friends from California. We’re from NY so you can imagine that we were really looking forward to being together. However, my tour guide,told us it was not possible and our friend’s guide also said it could not be done.

However, in the orientation meeting with our guide, she shared that a couple was arriving the next day. I then asked why our friends could not be with us in their place as the late arrivals would not know the difference. I was very rudely and publicly told this would not be possible.

Next, when you go to Ayer’s Rock (Uluru) make sure to drink a lot of water. You’ll need a wide brimmed hat and bug netting to cover your face. The bugs like the moisture of your eyes,nose and mouth. You can buy the bug netting cheaply (like $4 US) on Amazon. They charge $15 AUS for it at Ayers Rock. Additionally, the sand in Uluru is orange and you will be covered in it. Don’t wear good clothing. My tour guide refilled our water bottles from a canteen that was kept under the bus. Our friends tour guide (same company) provided them with new water bottles. Unfortunately, for me I got slightly dehydrated on our first day in Ayers Rock. I felt much better the next day. However, part of our tour was a walk around the base of Uluru. I asked our guide if it would be possible to remain on the bus with AC if I felt unwell and she said yes. So I went on the excursion. The talk by the Aboriginal medicine man was really fascinating. Then, we went for the hike. I was feeling a bit out of sorts by then but our tour guide announced that she was locking the bus and anyone who did not care to go on the hike could sit on a bench. So, rather than sit alone on a bench in the desert, I went for the hike and was fortunately okay. So my advice is that if you are feeling unwell, don’t go on the excursion.

We did tell Princess about this and they were apologetic.

This tour includes a great deal of flying within Australia. Only one flight had entertainment. So, it’s a good idea to have your own entertainment like a book or iPad. The snacks on the plane weren’t very good, so it’s a good idea to buy your own beforehand. Additionally, it’s a good idea to have a sweater or a wrap for the plane. Some flights were quite cold. In Australia you are allowed to take a small water bottle on the plane. Definitely, watch the weight of your luggage or you will pay handsomely.

I hope this helps future Princess cruise tour travels. Enjoy Australia! I will be happy to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just came back from a cruise of New Zealand and a land tour of the Outback. We are Platinum on Princess and enjoy cruising with them. We did a land tour of Alaska with them which we loved.

This tour was kind of a mixed bag. Here are some hints which would have made it better for us. I hope they help future travelers.

First off, if you are traveling with friends it is important to make sure your reservations and linked. Call Princess prior to leaving and make sure they know you must be together on the land tour.

We were unaware that there would be multiple groups so we did not do this and were separated from our friends from California. We’re from NY so you can imagine that we were really looking forward to being together. However, my tour guide,told us it was not possible and our friend’s guide also said it could not be done.

However, in the orientation meeting with our guide, she shared that a couple was arriving the next day. I then asked why our friends could not be with us in their place as the late arrivals would not know the difference. I was very rudely and publicly told this would not be possible.

Next, when you go to Ayer’s Rock (Uluru) make sure to drink a lot of water. You’ll need a wide brimmed hat ( men too) and bug netting to cover your face. The bugs like the moisture of your eyes,nose and mouth. You can buy the bug netting cheaply (like $4 US) on Amazon. They charge $15 AUS for it at Ayers Rock. Additionally, the sand in Uluru is orange and you will be covered in it. Don’t wear good clothing. My tour guide refilled our water bottles from a canteen that was kept under the bus. Our friends tour guide (same company) provided them with new water bottles. Unfortunately, for me I got slightly dehydrated on our first day in Ayers Rock. I felt much better the next day. However, part of our tour was a walk around the base of Uluru. I asked our guide if it would be possible to remain on the bus with AC if I felt unwell and she said yes. So I went on the excursion. The talk by the Aboriginal medicine man was really fascinating. Then, we went for the hike. I was feeling a bit out of sorts by then but our tour guide announced that she was locking the bus and anyone who did not care to go on the hike could sit on a bench. So, rather than sit alone on a bench in the desert, I went for the hike and was fortunately okay. So my advice is that if you are feeling unwell, don’t go on the excursion.

We did tell Princess about this and they were apologetic.

This tour includes a great deal of flying within Australia. Only one flight had entertainment. So, it’s a good idea to have your own entertainment like a book or iPad. The snacks on the plane weren’t very good, so it’s a good idea to buy your own beforehand. Additionally, it’s a good idea to have a sweater or a wrap for the plane. Some flights were quite cold. In Australia you are allowed to take a small water bottle on the plane. Definitely, watch the weight of your luggage or you will pay handsomely.

For the tour bus,if you don’t have a backpack or small carry-on you need a small bag for the bus. Rolling bags need to go under the bus so they’re not readily accessible. I bought a small fold-up bag that could easily fit in my rolling carry-on.

I hope this helps future Princess cruise tour travels. Enjoy Australia! I will be happy to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Thanks for posting. Having been to Uluru twice, I can confirm that you have provided some useful information.

But I’ll also add that for most people, visiting other locations in Australia, e.g. Uluru, before or after a cruise is easily done on your own. You’ll likely be able to plan exactly what you want to do and go with whomever you want (unlike Cairnsmom) for, I am sure, much less than the cruise lines charge.

If you don’t know where to start, check out the Australia forum on Trip Advisor. It’s a wealth of information for DIY travel.

Thanks for posting. Having been to Uluru twice, I can confirm that you have provided some useful information.

But I’ll also add that for most people, visiting other locations in Australia, e.g. Uluru, before or after a cruise is easily done on your own. You’ll likely be able to plan exactly what you want to do and go with whomever you want (unlike Cairnsmom) for, I am sure, much less than the cruise lines charge.

If you don’t know where to start, check out the Australia forum on Trip Advisor. It’s a wealth of information for DIY travel.

We chose the tour because we did not want to drive. The road rules are different and the steering wheel is on the right . We felt it would be more comfortable to take a tour. Frankly, if we’d had a more accommodating tour guide then the land trip would have been almost perfect. Princess handled the touring, hotels, baggage, and transportation ( both air and bus). In addition, breakfast was included each morning. It’s personal preference. There are benefits to both.

thanks for the info. we will be doing this same cruise and tour in a few months so this is very helpful. Didnt think to have our friends booking linked to ours. Will do this today.

When you were at Ayers Rock did you get to see Field of Lights? if so what are your thoughts?

each day do you get some free time to check things out or is it really filled and then you are exhausted and just want to go to bed?

Thanks.

thanks for the info. we will be doing this same cruise and tour in a few months so this is very helpful. Didnt think to have our friends booking linked to ours. Will do this today.

When you were at Ayers Rock did you get to see Field of Lights? if so what are your thoughts?

each day do you get some free time to check things out or is it really filled and then you are exhausted and just want to go to bed?

Thanks.

DEFINITELY LINK THE BOOKINGS AND BE VERY CLEAR WITH PRINCESS THAT YOU MUST BE TOGETHER FOR THE TOUR! There is some free time. At Ayer’s Rock, we had an afternoon and an evening free. We did not see Field of Lights. The tour did take us to see sunset and sunrise (optional) at Uluru. You could probably do that on your own. Uluru is magical. Not sure where you’re from but I’ll reiterate that you must drink lots of water, wear sunscreen,wide brimmed hat and bug net. The tour packs a lot into 6 days. Some nights, you’re pretty tired. We felt that we were probably only going once so we wanted to see as much as possible. Our cruise left from Sydney and had two sea days before reaching NZ. They gave us a chance to relax and recharge before we began touring again.I hope this answers your question.

that is just what im looking for.

On the day you meet at hotel do you do much? we are arriving 2 days prior so wondering if we can count this as a free day too and need to meet the tour people at the hotel that evening? Looking at going to the zoo this day and wonder how long we would have. I tried asking princess but they dont have any answers for this.

On the day you meet at hotel do you do much? we are arriving 2 days prior so wondering if we can count this as a free day too and need to meet the tour people at the hotel that evening? Looking at going to the zoo this day and wonder how long we would have. I tried asking princess but they dont have any answers for this.

Most of that day was free. The orientation was after 3PM.

Not sure I was clear in my prior post. You should to be back at the hotel by 3PM. That was the first group’s orientation. Ours was at 4.

We also arrived 2 days early. Are you staying at the Hyatt? We emailed ahead and asked for early check-in. They said they could not guarantee it, but they did accommodate us. We’re members of their rewards program.

• 2 weeks later...

Will plan to be back by 3pm then. Not sure how much native wild life we will be able to see so thought the zoo would be best. Thanks.

We are arriving 2 days prior also and yes already booked Hyatt too. Will call prior to ask for early check in since some of my party does arrive super early.

Linked out bookings with princess already.

Will plan to be back by 3pm then. Not sure how much native wild life we will be able to see so thought the zoo would be best. Thanks.

We are arriving 2 days prior also and yes already booked Hyatt too. Will call prior to ask for early check in since some of my party does arrive super early.

Linked out bookings with princess already.

:-)

Hi Cairn Mom. Found you thread after you posted on my thread on the Princess board. Some useful information here especially the clarification of when the orientation happened. We were thinking of doing a trip the the Blue Mountains which arrives back in Sydney at around 6. Will make sure not to do this on the day the land tour actually starts.

Hope you don’t mind me asking a few questions.

Could you tell me about the internal flights please? Specifically which airlines the flights were with and if they were direct. Having looked online, I see there aren’t many direct flights. Hoping for direct.

About how many people were on the tour / in each of the two groups?

What nationalities and age groups were the people on the tour?

What happens with the luggage that is stored whilst you’re on the land tour? Does it stay at the hotel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This cruise extension land tour is really different to any of the others offered by Princess. To start with the distances are h u g e! It's wonderful when you get there but be prepared to spend a lot of time travelling.

Hi Cairn Mom. Found you thread after you posted on my thread on the Princess board. Some useful information here especially the clarification of when the orientation happened. We were thinking of doing a trip the the Blue Mountains which arrives back in Sydney at around 6. Will make sure not to do this on the day the land tour actually starts.

Hope you don’t mind me asking a few questions.

Could you tell me about the internal flights please? Specifically which airlines the flights were with and if they were direct. Having looked online, I see there aren’t many direct flights. Hoping for direct.

About how many people were on the tour / in each of the two groups?

What nationalities and age groups were the people on the tour?

What happens with the luggage that is stored whilst you’re on the land tour? Does it stay at the hotel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sailco is right. You spend lots of time flying. Our flight to Cairns from Sydney was on Quantas. As I recall, it was under 3 hours. All the flights are similar in duration. The other flights were on Virgin Australia. The connection to Ayers Rock is problematic. We had to fly back to Sydney and then fly from there to Ayers Rock. In order to accomplish this, we had to wake up at 3 AM. That day was exhausting. Apparently, you can’t fly to Alice Springs or Ayers Rock directly from Cairns.

We went to the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Wildlife Preserve. It’s about 2 hours from the city, but it’s well worth the trip. It would be impossible to make the orientation. We did it the day before.

The tour consisted of two groups. Each group was made up of 40 people. Our group was all Americans. The other group was primarily Americans, but there were Canadians and Asians too. The groups stay at the same hotels, but they do not do everything together. For instance, when we went to Uluru, the other group did the hike and then went to the Aboriginal talk. Our group did this in reverse. We did the same things but not necessarily at the same time.

Each person is allowed to have one piece of luggage for the land tour. You can leave luggage in Sydney which Princess will store at a facility. We did this and it was fine. You will not see it until you board ship. It is very important that your luggage not be overweight for the short flights. They make it very expensive to have overweight luggage. http://[/url]

The age- I would say the average was mid-sixties to early 70s. We’re a bit younger and there were some older. This is a strenuous trip. You need to be able to walk. You need to be able to carry your hand luggage)carry-on and personal item) up and down the steps to get on the plane. These planes board from the tarmac. A lady on our tour fell while carrying her things up the steps.She had to go to the hospital.

When I pushed send, part of what I wrote didn’t print. Sorry this is in 3 parts. The luggage you leave behind is taken by Princess to a storage facility. You will not see it again until you board ship. Make sure your luggage is not overweight for these small flights. The fees are ridiculous.

Thanks Cairn Mom. Really appreciate all the info. Shame about the Cairns to Ayers Rock flight not being direct. Having checked online, there is a direct flight which is under three hours so I can still live hope.

Do you remember which tour company was used for the Great Barrier Reef catamaran? Was it Quicksilver?

Thanks Cairn Mom. Really appreciate all the info. Shame about the Cairns to Ayers Rock flight not being direct. Having checked online, there is a direct flight which is under three hours so I can still live hope.

Do you remember which tour company was used for the Great Barrier Reef catamaran? Was it Quicksilver?

I’m sorry, I don’t remember which company did the catamaran. Glad you found the information useful. I hoped people would. It what I wish I had known prior to the tour. I’m happy we did it. This was the trip of a lifetime for us.