Book Now Or Wait?

GTO-Girl

Flying down on Thanksgiving Day for a Friday sailing out of Miami. I know Southwest doesn’t go to Miami and on top of that they don’t release its November schedule until May 31st!!!

Should I go ahead and book with Delta into Miami or risk waiting until Southwest puts out their schedule??

This will only be my third time to fly and I am lost as to what is the best thing to do!! Also I have no idea what is a good price from Atlanta to Miami (or Ft Lauderdale) for this time of year!!

Need help from you frequent flyers!!

If you don't want to fly Economy, why are you even considering Southwest?

I am seeing AA at $547 nonstop to MIA, one stop coming back.

Thanks Bruce...and you have a good point. Maybe I shouldn’t bother with Southwest.

We were originally planning on driving from Atlanta area because I hate to fly so badly but I have since injured my back so we are thinking the trip would be too much even breaking it up in two days.

I am just trying to find the best way to get me there with as less stress as possible.

I do appreciate your help!!!

Right now it’s a total of $1076 for two people in Delta Comfort nonstop to Miami..

I have severe anxiety so I didnt want to book Economy. I need to pick my seat..

Time for some clarification. Delta offers on most domestic routes:

Basic Economy

Main Cabin

Comfort+

First Class

It is only "Basic Economy" that does not allow for seat selection. Main Cabin (what Economy/Coach used to be called on DL) still allows for seat selection. Then, moving up, Comfort+ provides additional legroom and recline, as well as complimentary beer, wine and spirits. First is still first.

Flying down on Thanksgiving Day for a Friday sailing out of Miami. I know Southwest doesn’t go to Miami and on top of that they don’t release its November schedule until May 31st!
Right now it’s a total of $1076 for two people in Delta Comfort nonstop to Miami..

I have severe anxiety so I didnt want to book Economy. I need to pick my seat..

If you don't like flying, then in your shoes I'd be prioritising getting non-stops in both directions.

On top of your $538 per person in Delta Comfort+ (which I believe is normal economy seating with extra legroom), you would need to allow for $25 for the first checked bag, so a total of $563. (You may find that today it's a dollar or so more for this, but that's trivial.)

Looking at what else is available, I had the same thought as CruiserBruce: I can see non-stops on American Airlines in first class at workable times in both directions starting from $578.40 per person. I think that this fare includes two checked bags. The departure time outbound is 1230 but you have a wide selection of flights at that price. The first safe inbound flight at that price is at 1730 (5.30 pm); for an extra $100 you could fly at 1340 (1.40 pm) but you'd also have to bear in mind that that is on an Embraer 175 and I don't know if you'd prefer to be on a larger aircraft.

If those times are not a problem for you (and presumably they are not because your first plan was to drive), you would get most of a relaxing day in Miami before having to get to the airport - perhaps taking one of those extended ship's tours that ends at the airport, if you don't want to do something independently. Given the strong argument for you not flying in normal economy, and the tiny difference between $563 in DL Comfort+ and $578 in AA first, the latter option seems close to being a no-brainer. (I am assuming that frequent flyer scheme considerations are not relevant here.)

If you were to stay in Miami overnight before flying back, you'd have a wider choice of flights at the lower price on Monday 3 December. Also, you would then have the option of flying DL first class for $612.60, which is only slightly more than the price that you are prepared to pay for Comfort+, if for some reason you have a strong preference for flying DL.

If you don't like flying, then in your shoes I'd be prioritising getting non-stops in both directions.

On top of your $538 per person in Delta Comfort+ (which I believe is normal economy seating with extra legroom), you would need to allow for $25 for the first checked bag, so a total of $563. (You may find that today it's a dollar or so more for this, but that's trivial.)

Looking at what else is available, I had the same thought as CruiserBruce: I can see non-stops on American Airlines in first class at workable times in both directions starting from $578.40 per person. I think that this fare includes two checked bags. The departure time outbound is 1230 but you have a wide selection of flights at that price. The first safe inbound flight at that price is at 1730 (5.30 pm); for an extra $100 you could fly at 1340 (1.40 pm) but you'd also have to bear in mind that that is on an Embraer 175 and I don't know if you'd prefer to be on a larger aircraft.

If those times are not a problem for you (and presumably they are not because your first plan was to drive), you would get most of a relaxing day in Miami before having to get to the airport - perhaps taking one of those extended ship's tours that ends at the airport, if you don't want to do something independently. Given the strong argument for you not flying in normal economy, and the tiny difference between $563 in DL Comfort+ and $578 in AA first, the latter option seems close to being a no-brainer. (I am assuming that frequent flyer scheme considerations are not relevant here.)

If you were to stay in Miami overnight before flying back, you'd have a wider choice of flights at the lower price on Monday 3 December. Also, you would then have the option of flying DL first class for $612.60, which is only slightly more than the price that you are prepared to pay for Comfort+, if for some reason you have a strong preference for flying DL.

Thank you for giving me such good information and plenty of things to think about. I feel I need to lock in something pretty soon in order to get the flight times we need. Thanks again!!!