Aer Lingus carry on restrictions

midwestchick

I understand the carry on suitcase restriction but there is also a size restriction on one other personal item carry on which is really restricted. We like to put shoes in a backpack and I like to take something bigger than a purse for cameras, etc. Sine were doing a precruise tour, I was hoping to put clothing in carry on sipuitcase (21 lb. limit) and other things in a personal carry on.

Is this strictly enforced? We’ll be delaying from ORD to Dublin. Appreciate hearing of other experiences.

It is always possible that a gate agent will not enforce an airline regulation. Then again, virtually all airlines that have published "restrictive" carry-on rules tend to enforce them as a matter of routine procedure. So, to quote Inspector Callahan, do you feel lucky?

Sidebar question....have you already bought your tickets on Aer Lingus? Were you aware of this restriction when you bought them?

I understand the carry on suitcase restriction but there is also a size restriction on one other personal item carry on which is really restricted.
This is unsurprising, as the "personal item" is not intended to be a second carry-on suitcase.

If you have more than your allowance, expect to be made to check one or more of your bags and plan on that basis. (After all, in today's environment you could easily be made to check one or more of your bags even if you are within your allowance. If the aircraft is full, then the aircraft is full.) Then, as FlyerTalker says, see whether you get lucky.

One of the problems with asking others here for their experiences is that you'll very probably only get random anecdotes. Those may make you feel better or worse about your plan, but they're unlikely to be a reliable basis for working out your chances. If you really want a reliable picture of what's likely to happen, you'd be better off finding someone who flies Aer Lingus a couple of times a week, every week.

The personal item is meant to go under the seat, not in the overhead locker, so therefore the dimensions are small. Not sure why you use the word restricted. I would expect that if you try and take on a second bag that is obviously too big, you will be asked/told to put in in the hold.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

The personal item is meant to go under the seat, not in the overhead locker, so therefore the dimensions are small. Not sure why you use the word restricted. I would expect that if you try and take on a second bag that is obviously too big, you will be asked/told to put in in the hold.

I was going to take a tote bag but it’s just slightly larger than what their website states. It would definitely fit under the seat.

I was going to take a tote bag but it’s just slightly larger than what their website states. It would definitely fit under the seat.

It's not a matter of "does it fit under the seat?". When there are clear and definite dimensions/weights published, what matters is "does it meet the posted requirements?"

Do you feel lucky?

Do you think they put those dimensions and weights on the website just for their amusement?

Yes, but 'slightly' is meaningless. Your case is either too big or not. No difference to saying "I was only slightly over the speed limit".

Buy a new bag that fits with the luggage dimensions.

There is one huge benefit of flying Aer Lingus between the USA and Europe (either direction). Aer Lingus allows free stop-overs in Ireland! The last time we took advantage the maximum stop over time was 2 weeks (not sure of the current rule). You essentially are getting free transportation to Ireland which is a terrific place for a few days (or longer) either pre or post cruise. Icelandic Air...also has a similar policy for those that fly that airline and want to spend some time in Iceland.

Hank

There is one huge benefit of flying Aer Lingus between the USA and Europe (either direction). Aer Lingus allows free stop-overs in Ireland! The last time we took advantage the maximum stop over time was 2 weeks (not sure of the current rule). You essentially are getting free transportation to Ireland which is a terrific place for a few days (or longer) either pre or post cruise. Icelandic Air...also has a similar policy for those that fly that airline and want to spend some time in Iceland.

Hank

We are spending 3 nights in Iceland post an AmaWaterways Danube cruise in September. Love that Aer Lingus and Icelandair offer that perk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hank

Why thank you :). Delighted to hear you love our wee country. You are welcome back any time :D