Avid Cruiser'sarticle: Crystal Cruises vs. Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Key Differences

boblerm

Essentially a well balanced overview,I thought. I was somewhat surprised that Regent appeared ( my reading) to come in ahead of Crystal in the service category. It would be a good article for the execs planning the new cancellation fees to read.

Essentially a well balanced overview,I thought. I was somewhat surprised that Regent appeared ( my reading) to come in ahead of Crystal in the service category. It would be a good article for the execs planning the new cancellation fees to read.

What new cancellation fees?

IMO Crystal's restaurant service is far better than on Regent. Most of Crystal staff stay with only one ship always. The Crystal staff is not rotated with other brand, like Regent does with Oceania. Crystal has a much, much broader and better range of entertainment. particularly regarding music. Crystal has way better wi-fi, much better interactive TV and is way more tech savvy with many services accessible thru your personal table or phone . IMO the Atrium in the Serenity is far nicer than anything on Regent, including the Explorer.

Regent's cabin are nicer. Regent shore excursions are broader in choice and better run. Price wise, all thing considered Regent is less expensive.

J

There is no comparison between the generous Regent verandah suites (including the actual verandah) and the cramped equivalent on Crystal. This alone is the deal breaker for us. Yes, we can take a Crystal penthouse for a similar size to a Regent verandah but the price is extortionate. I agree that Crystal entertainment is generally better and often the food too, but they don't compensate for the rabbit hutch accommodation.

Yes - Crystal prices for an equivalent suite is outrageous.

This maybe true. But Crystal has done itineraries that Regent will never do, (nor will any other cruise line.) So what does the price matter in the case of it is the only ship that is doing a particular route that you was to go?

J

Yes - Crystal prices for an equivalent suite is outrageous.

Not sure it is quite so simple. It is extremely difficult, perhaps impossible to do apple to apple price comparisons. You would need to compare comparably located and sized suites, on a similar itinerary at comparable times of year. And trying to factor in Regent's included air and excursions make it quite complex. Almost foolish to try. And yet, I will give it a shot.

I am comparing Barcelona to Southampton May 20,2019, 12 nights on the Explorer to Barcelona to Dover, May 29, 2019, 12 nights on the Serenity. Both Itineraries have 10 days in port. I am comparing cabins in comparable decks and comparably sized, F1 Superior Suite on the Explorer, to PH, Penthouse with Veranda on the Serenity. For the sake of simplicity, I am taking Regent's air credit, as it is impossible to know what the airfare will be, let's assume we are using air miles for the flights. I am adding $100 per port day to Crystal, which in my experience would be an average cost of taking a ship excursion comparable to Regent's included excursions. I am exhausted already.

Anyway, here is what I came up with: These are all per person, flying from US.

Explorer 11199, Serenity 12480.

If I do a similar comparison using Explorer's Penthouse A vs Serenity's Penthouse Suite, (although Serenity's PS is quite a bit larger than Explorer's Penthouse) it is 15499 vs 16315.

At the highest level, the difference becomes striking, 25999 for Explorer's Master Suite (well. almost highest level) to 31090 for Serenity's Crystal Penthouse with Veranda.

So other than the largest suites, the price differential is not tremendous. For those who do not take advantage of Regent's excursions, they are just about the same. If airfares are very high, and if you don't have miles to use, AND Regent offers you an acceptable flight, Regent is considerably more economical. If one does not mind a smaller cabin, Crystal is more economical.

Those who feel strongly about the quality of their cruise experience on either line will continue to sail on that line regardless of price, as well they should. For my part, I love Regent, and I love Crystal. I am extremely grateful that I am able to cruise on both.

Bob

My eyes are now crossed, Bob....haha! That was a lot of work! You did a fine job!

We're (literally) in the same boat! We enjoy both lines for different reasons. Yup, Crystal's cabins are miniscule, but of late, itineraries are much better, and that's what's driving us at the moment. We love a good TA, but unfortunately while Regent's TAs are quite reasonable, it's always the same old, same old. Same ships doing the same route.

As you pointed out, we're very fortunate to be able to choose just exactly what we'd like and what's important. Although Regents bars/cocktail service is nicely done, it can't hold a candle to Crystal....best cocktails, bartenders, bar service in the business, imho.

There is one category of cruisers for whom Crystal is hands-down the better deal, financially: solo cruisers. Crystal offers solo supplements on most cruises of 20-30%. These days, Regent offers less than 100% only on occasion, namely when a cruise is not selling well. I first started cruising what is now Regent (and was then Radisson) as a solo, and was enticed on because the 15% single supplement made it a better price than most mainstream lines. Then I got spoiled for anything else. Fortunately, I met my travel buddy on such a cruise, and so the single supplement is no longer a factor.

I enjoy both lines, and find that each has its pluses and minuses. And, of course, what may be a plus for me might be a minus for others, and vice versa. Nice that we have choices.

Mudhen, as a self-confessed cruise barfly, I can't say that one has better bar service than the other (although there was that bar waiter on Crystal who brought our favorite wine to our cabin for the sailaway from Sydney). But I tend to stick to wine and scotch, with only the occasional cosmo or lemon drop, so am not much of a connoisseur of mixed drinks.

My eyes are now crossed, Bob....haha! That was a lot of work! You did a fine job!

We're (literally) in the same boat! We enjoy both lines for different reasons. Yup, Crystal's cabins are miniscule, but of late, itineraries are much better, and that's what's driving us at the moment. We love a good TA, but unfortunately while Regent's TAs are quite reasonable, it's always the same old, same old. Same ships doing the same route.

As you pointed out, we're very fortunate to be able to choose just exactly what we'd like and what's important. Although Regents bars/cocktail service is nicely done, it can't hold a candle to Crystal....best cocktails, bartenders, bar service in the business, imho.

Thanks, the hard part was in finding cruises that were suitable for comparison, after that, the math is relatively straightforward.

Agree, after one has done a fair bit of cruising, it is not so easy to find itineraries that offer much that is different. So when I see an itinerary with many ports that are new to me, I like to take it.

For me, both lines have areas in which they excel, neither is "perfect", but that is not a reasonable expectation. Whatever minor glitches I have experienced on any cruise on these lines did not come close to hampering my enjoyment of the cruise.

Bob

What a great Thread!

Respectful, and full of information from folks based on first-hand experiences on both Lines. Ditto as to perspective already-detailed by others. SO grateful for health and resources in retirement which allow for such travel.

When we considered our first Crystal booking some time back, for a San Diego-Hawaii-Auckland-Sydney extended cruise, our TA recommended (rather insisted) we book a higher echelon Suite (with Butler) due to the smaller size of the standard veranda cabins. Like, about 217 sf and a small balcony vs. a minimum we always booked on Regent ships which is at-least 310 sf plus good-size balcony. Our TA refused to "take the rap" for any complaints from us in a smaller cabin on an extended cruise, much of which included numerous days at sea, no matter what experiences might be as to other aspects.

Again, it pays to have a TA who has been on both Lines and can offer advice from personal experiences.

Wise advice, which we took. That, and similar Crystal cruises have been great--in a larger suite. Have been on all Regent ships; and eagerly anticipate being on Splendor in March, 2020 from LA to Miami. In a good-sized suite which was booked last September.

It is very difficult to find a wedge of difference from a customer standpoint as to onboard amenities; food/service; crew attitude, and such. Tops on both Lines. That's why we remain happy cruisers on these smaller (comparatively) sized vessels. Even more similar now that Crystal has gone-away from designated seating for dinner in the main restaurant venue.

GOARMY!

Great thread....nice to see honest and fair assessment of both lines without the fierce loyalists who cant seem to see the merits of any other line except for their favored one as I have seen on so many other threads. I think all the ultraluxury lines seem to do a really good job overall and of course each have their own strengths and weaknesses and culture of each offer a slightly different experience. We have sailed on Silversea and Azamara a lot but want to try something different , not because we are unhappy with them, we love them, but its nice to change things up ...variety is the spice of life. We have cruises booked on Crystal, Regent and Seabourn and are so looking forward to them!

Great thread....nice to see honest and fair assessment of both lines without the fierce loyalists who cant seem to see the merits of any other line except for their favored one as I have seen on so many other threads. I think all the ultraluxury lines seem to do a really good job overall and of course each have their own strengths and weaknesses and culture of each offer a slightly different experience. We have sailed on Silversea and Azamara a lot but want to try something different , not because we are unhappy with them, we love them, but its nice to change things up ...variety is the spice of life. We have cruises booked on Crystal, Regent and Seabourn and are so looking forward to them!

10 future cruises booked, I love it!

You put me to shame, I only have 5.

Better get going.:D

• 3 weeks later...
What a great Thread!

Respectful, and full of information from folks based on first-hand experiences on both Lines. Ditto as to perspective already-detailed by others. SO grateful for health and resources in retirement which allow for such travel.

When we considered our first Crystal booking some time back, for a San Diego-Hawaii-Auckland-Sydney extended cruise, our TA recommended (rather insisted) we book a higher echelon Suite (with Butler) due to the smaller size of the standard veranda cabins. Like, about 217 sf and a small balcony vs. a minimum we always booked on Regent ships which is at-least 310 sf plus good-size balcony. Our TA refused to "take the rap" for any complaints from us in a smaller cabin on an extended cruise, much of which included numerous days at sea, no matter what experiences might be as to other aspects.

Again, it pays to have a TA who has been on both Lines and can offer advice from personal experiences.

Wise advice, which we took. That, and similar Crystal cruises have been great--in a larger suite. Have been on all Regent ships; and eagerly anticipate being on Splendor in March, 2020 from LA to Miami. In a good-sized suite which was booked last September.

It is very difficult to find a wedge of difference from a customer standpoint as to onboard amenities; food/service; crew attitude, and such. Tops on both Lines. That's why we remain happy cruisers on these smaller (comparatively) sized vessels. Even more similar now that Crystal has gone-away from designated seating for dinner in the main restaurant venue.

GOARMY!

Booking for the Splendor just opened in April. You couldn't have booked last September!!

Booking for the Splendor just opened in April. You couldn't have booked last September!!

Like most cruise lines that have not opened reservations they can put you on a waitlist when it opens up and slot you in. This is done often with new builds and preliminary itineraries and TA’s accept deposits. Everything is subject to change with new builds.

Sassyw, et. al.

To ease any angst as to "cutting in line" to pre book on Splendor.

Here is background. My wife and I originally booked this March 2020 cruise last September because we wanted to be assured a spot on a newer Regent ship on which to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary with friends and family.

That booking was on Explorer. Itinerary was shown as 16 days' Los Angeles, via Panama Canal, to Miami. This early initiative was based on a very-enjoyable March-April 2017 BTB Explorer experience from Miami, via Barcelona, to Venice. This was in conjunction with Regent's 25th year anniversary. So, many additional 'perks. Plus, our valued TA and that TA's family were aboard. Thus, the perks.

So--Regent changed ships, to accommodate Splendor's entry into the "fleet". My wife and I simply waited for the dust to clear, and frenzied comments from CC's to calm down. All folks who put a deposit down on that Explorer cruise were, in fact, "grandfathered". Reservations were transferred to Splendor. We will be in our same numbered Suite aboard Splendor as we would have been on Explorer. Because--with some slight modifications, the Explorer-Splendor footprints are similar.

Hope this clears up the matter.

BTW: Hope to see some of you who have been following this Thread will be aboard Navigator when we board at Los Angeles on June 3rd for yet-another (for us) Panama Canal adventure. On to NYC!

Best,

GOARMY!