Need post-cruise advice re: transportation back to MCO

ccmcg

Hi. I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase the Disney transfers from Port Canaveral back to the airport after our Fantasy cruise in May. Our flight doesn't leave until 2:45pm. The thought of hanging out at the airport for hours with 6 tired children ages 4-16 does not sound appealing. We were thinking about renting a van when we get off the ship and maybe trying to find a place to take a walk on the beach, or a park where the kids could play, or explore Cape Canaveral for just a little bit, etc., then driving to the airport later. But then I read a thread here somewhere (that I can't find now) that said there can be long waits at the rental car places after the cruise, and that clearing security at MCO can take 2-3 hours. If both of those are the case, then it might make more sense to just purchase the transfers. Thoughts, please?

We don't need the transfers when we arrive-- flying in the day before. TIA!

Unless there is a delay with Customs and Immigration, or some other ship related delay, you can usually count on being off of the ship by no later than 9:30 am. Its been a while since I rented a car at Port Canaveral, but it was a bit of a hassle. I had to catch the rental car van, then wait at the rental car location which was under-staffed. I don't recall if the family went with me or I went back to the port to pick them up. While it wasn't far from the port, renting the car took at least another hour. Thus, by the time you realistically get the van, you could be looking at 10:30 am, and you still have to drive back to MCO, return the car, etc. That doesn't leave you much time to do what you really want to do, which is go the beach. Of course, if you get of the ship earlier, it becomes more viable. Others will likely have differing opinions.

Financially with that huge of a family you are better off arranging private transport or renting a van.

BUT there is one airport I always plan on MINIMUM 3.5 hours to get through - MCO. Their security is a hot mess - and I am a solo adult with pre-check. With a huge number of kids in tow? I don't think you will have nearly as much time "sitting around" as you are thinking.

We have rented a van from the cruise before but even getting off as early as possible it took over an hour to wait for the van, go to car place, get car, drive back to pick up family. Then it’s an hour to airport, plus car drop off time. I don’t think you can check in bags on the ship and get boarding passes without a transfer but I could be wrong. So if you still have all you ur bags you need to get those checked in before you get in security line. And on the day cruises come in, lines get crazy. All in all, for me, it’s not worth the hour you might have to find a beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have rented a van from the cruise before but even getting off as early as possible it took over an hour to wait for the van, go to car place, get car, drive back to pick up family. Then it’s an hour to airport, plus car drop off time. I don’t think you can check in bags on the ship and get boarding passes without a transfer but I could be wrong. So if you still have all you ur bags you need to get those checked in before you get in security line. And on the day cruises come in, lines get crazy. All in all, for me, it’s not worth the hour you might have to find a beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct. To check your bags to your final destination from the ship you must be using DCL transfers to the airport and be flying a domestic flight on a participating airline.

I fly thru MCO almost every week. Security can be crazy for sure. With six kiddos, I would allow a minimum of 2 hours. With that said, you could get there and security be wide open (but don't count on it). I don't know who you are flying with, but the Southwest terminal has a pretty decent food court and the Delta terminal has some restaurants and shops. Also before security, there is a huge food court and lots of shops that might keep everyone occupied. I agree though, that if you don't get out of there and on the road before 9:30 - 10:00, you won't have as much time as you think. Last, don't forget about the tolls- make sure if you rent a van, that you go thru the cash lane and pay- otherwise, your rental company will slap a $25 fee plus the toll. Good luck! :-)

another factor to apply is the day you are talking about. Some days Disney is the only ship turning around. Other days you can be one of FOUR - all BIG ones. This matters A LOT both for rental car pickup and what the zoo can be at the airport.

Thru Sept this year: https://www.portcanaveral.com/PortCanaveral/media/Cruise-Assets/Cruise%20Schedule/2018/Copy-of-Cruise-Schedule.pdf

but really, you have only a couple of hours to kill and your plan makes better sense when you have 2 or 3 times that ....

IF you still opt for the van, consider this

getting all your clan on the rental shuttle will be a PITA. Suggest ONE leave first and once you get to the rental place and can judge the wait, call (assuming you have cell phones) the remaining party to start heading out. Get the van and pick up the rest of the party ....

also note the distance various rental places are from the DCL terminal ... Alamo, National, Enterprise and Hertz are near or in the port, budget not to far away, dollar, thrifty and Avis further ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

My recommendation would be a day room at the Hyatt. You can relax, swim, shop and not have to keep track of all your stuff. We did this in Feb. and checked in about 9:30 AM. We waited until the 3 hour point prior to our flight and then checked our bags with Delta. Just kept our carry ons and waited until time to get through security and to the gate. With that many people you would be better off getting a limo or private transport - will cost less than DCL transfers.

My recommendation would be a day room at the Hyatt. You can relax, swim, shop and not have to keep track of all your stuff. We did this in Feb. and checked in about 9:30 AM. We waited until the 3 hour point prior to our flight and then checked our bags with Delta. Just kept our carry ons and waited until time to get through security and to the gate. With that many people you would be better off getting a limo or private transport - will cost less than DCL transfers.

This is exactly my recommendation. Private transportation (a lot cheaper than DCL transfers) will likely more than cover the $100 charge for the day room at the Hyatt MCO. To book a day room, contact the hotel directly. You can nap, swim, shower, or whatever you need until time to check in for your flight.