Why did Disney cancel cruises from New York?

wilyum

DCL is cruising again this fall with cruises departing out of New York City. They have not yet released their itineraries for the fall of 2019. They seemed to have had some success sailing from NYC and I would expect they would continue, but you will know for sure when they release their fall 2019 itineraries. They aren't 100% predictable as to when the Fall 2019 release will be - if they follow their normal pattern, think late May, 2018 for that release.

Do they do alternate years and we’ll see them back there in 2020?

Disney has sailed out of NYC in 2016 and 2017, will be doing so again this year, and as the previous poster stated the itineraries for the relevant time of year in 2019 are yet to be released. There's nothing to say they have cancelled anything.

I am not aware of DCL canceling anything related to New York. They look at the success of various itineraries and do future scheduling as they deem appropriate. Another issue can be any long term contracts that have been signed with various ports.

With 3 new ships launching, beginning in 2021, no one knows what will be happening.

If sufficient people are boarding in New York, those cruises will continue. If not, the ships will go elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

We went last year and loved it! It was a Marvel Cruise that was also a Halloween cruise.

We are looking for this year, but it doesn't seem like they're doing Marvel any longer (and aren't even doing Star Wars). Not sure why that is. It also seems like prices went up.

They're offering less, and charging more. Still might bite, as the day at Disney World is great, and prevents the need to fly down there and do a Disney vacation.

We went last year and loved it! It was a Marvel Cruise that was also a Halloween cruise.

We are looking for this year, but it doesn't seem like they're doing Marvel any longer (and aren't even doing Star Wars). Not sure why that is. It also seems like prices went up.

They're offering less, and charging more. Still might bite, as the day at Disney World is great, and prevents the need to fly down there and do a Disney vacation.

I don't know what you are looking at. With three mouse clicks, I found 10 cruises that included Marvel days at sea. With another three clicks, I had 9 Star Wars cruises. These are very popular and I can't see any reason that they would be canceled.

I don't know what you are looking at. With three mouse clicks' date=' I found 10 cruises that included Marvel days at sea. With another three clicks, I had 9 Star Wars cruises. These are very popular and I can't see any reason that they would be canceled.[/quote']

I think jacksonx was referring to Marvel days specifically out of NY.

OK' date=' makes sense. I didn't explore farther to see which cruises they were other than they went into 2019.[/quote']

Yes, I was referring to the Marvel cruise out of NYC.

We went last year and it was awesome; there were Halloween celebrations and then they had special Marvel celebrations. It looks like they stopped doing that (out of NYC.)

I'm hoping that even though there is no "Marvel Day at Sea", they will still have meet and greets with the character- kids really want to see Thor and Dr. Strange again.

Thor shows in the kids club at times, but Dr. Strange is/was a Marvel cruise exclusive as they bring on park actors for those in addition to the usual crew from what I understand.

Yes, I was referring to the Marvel cruise out of NYC.

We went last year and it was awesome; there were Halloween celebrations and then they had special Marvel celebrations. It looks like they stopped doing that (out of NYC.)

I'm hoping that even though there is no "Marvel Day at Sea", they will still have meet and greets with the character- kids really want to see Thor and Dr. Strange again.

I think Disney is either pricing itself out of the market, or has created such a huge economic moat that they can charge whatever they want to just enough people to make it worth their while.

I was going to book another NYC cruise this Fall; Balcony is now $6900 for a family of 4; more than $2000 more than what we paid last year.

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas has the same balcony on the same dates for $2900, including over $400 on board credit.

I know it's not comparing apples to apples, but the RC is much bigger with a lot of things to do. Sure, Dreamworks is not anywhere near Disney, but I think my kids will still have a great time. For over $4500 more, I just can't justify Disney.

Hopefully we can consider them again in the future.

I think Disney is either pricing itself out of the market, or has created such a huge economic moat that they can charge whatever they want to just enough people to make it worth their while.

I was going to book another NYC cruise this Fall; Balcony is now $6900 for a family of 4; more than $2000 more than what we paid last year.

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas has the same balcony on the same dates for $2900, including over $400 on board credit.

I know it's not comparing apples to apples, but the RC is much bigger with a lot of things to do. Sure, Dreamworks is not anywhere near Disney, but I think my kids will still have a great time. For over $4500 more, I just can't justify Disney.

Hopefully we can consider them again in the future.

As long as they can fill ships at or near the full cost that they are charging, they will continue to charge it. Those of us who are a bit more frugal will look at other options. For instance, we have 2 weeks in Alaska in a suite booked for $4000 less than a single week on DCL in a balcony! OK, Princess isn't DCL, and in the past I would have said it was about a half step down in quality. BUT on our recent Princess cruise, the food quality and service was every bit as good as I've ever experienced on DCL. In Alaska, Princess can go to Glacier Bay, which DCL doesn't have the license for. You go to Alaska for the scenery and the port experiences....characters dressed in winter clothing is a far lower priority. Yes, DCL has a couple of excursions geared especially for kids. Princess has "Puppies in the Piazza" where you can interact with future sled dogs without even leaving the ship.

There is no question that DCL has better main stage entertainment and prettier ships. Fortunately, when I'm cruising on one of the big white hulks, I don't see the exterior.

Bottom line, DCL has priced itself beyond what I'm willing to pay. There are new features and new shows on some of the ships that I'd like to experience, but not at the current prices.