Boarding in NYC

Cyber Kat

This is not a port topic, it’s an Azamara specific question. We live quite close to NYC and have boarded at the Manhattan Cruise terminal many times. I’m wondering if Azamara does anything differently. Usually we are boarding there with 3000 or more of our “closest friends,” [emoji14] so it’s a bit like a cattle call.

I’m hoping with only 600 or so, that the experience will be a bit more civilized [emoji16]

Have any of you boarded an Azamara ship in Manhattan?

Never boarded in NYC, but boarding is always easy and relaxed with Azamara. In January we were to board the Quest at Puerta de Caldera in Costa Rica. We got a message that morning that due to high winds the ship had not been able to dock at Puerta de Caldera so we were to go to Puntarenas to embark. Despite this all being pretty last minute and there not being a proper terminal building everything went very smoothly. Azamara had laid on shuttle buses to take us all along the pier to the ship and checking in was done in the Caberet lounge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never boarded in NYC, but boarding is always easy and relaxed with Azamara. In January we were to board the Quest at Puerta de Caldera in Costa Rica. We got a message that morning that due to high winds the ship had not been able to dock at Puerta de Caldera so we were to go to Puntarenas to embark. Despite this all being pretty last minute and there not being a proper terminal building everything went very smoothly. Azamara had laid on shuttle buses to take us all along the pier to the ship and checking in was done in the Caberet lounge.

Oh that’s good to know. I’m just curious how it will go in NYC. We are used to the chaos, but some people find it daunting. I thinking a nice relaxed boarding process will be a treat, though.

We boarded once in New York, but that admittedly was about 8 years ago and an odd itinerary, New York to Rouen, France. It was a great TA and a wonderful Azamara experience, by the way. We boarded at the Manhattan terminal. We were two of the last to arrive as we flew in from the West Coast on the same day. We just walked on board, went to our stateroom, and then disembarked because the ship was in port overnight. We had dinner with a group of friends at a restaurant on 9th Avenue within walking distance of the dock. Then we walked back to the ship after dinner. The next day we had a little time in Manhattan before the sail away. With such a small ship all the comings and goings were as easy as can be. No crowds and no waiting.

We boarded once in New York, but that admittedly was about 8 years ago and an odd itinerary, New York to Rouen, France. It was a great TA and a wonderful Azamara experience, by the way. We boarded at the Manhattan terminal. We were two of the last to arrive as we flew in from the West Coast on the same day. We just walked on board, went to our stateroom, and then disembarked because the ship was in port overnight. We had dinner with a group of friends at a restaurant on 9th Avenue within walking distance of the dock. Then we walked back to the ship after dinner. The next day we had a little time in Manhattan before the sail away. With such a small ship all the comings and goings were as easy as can be. No crowds and no waiting.

Very cool. We won’t be in NYC overnight, though. I would like that.

We where also on the New York to Rouen cruise.

It was in April 2012 the cruise following the special Titanic Anniversary cruise.

One of the few times that Azamara have sailed from New York, boarding was a doddle.

It was in April 2012 the cruise following the special Titanic Anniversary cruise.

One of the few times that Azamara have sailed from New York, boarding was a doddle.

Excellent! (I think - what’s a doddle). [emoji16]

This is good to hear since we will be on the same cruise as Cyber Kat out of New York.