Couple questions for 138east

cruisehabits

Hi 138east!....

I posted this on the New England/Canada Port of Call thread by accident yesterday

Thank you for your response on the thread I created earlier in the week about the Anthem and NE ports of call.

You obviously have the inside track and are very informative!

I have a couple of questions to keep me planning in the right direction. I do plan to book a New England cruise on the Anthem for September or October of next year.

Please provide me with your best advice considering the following. [emoji4]

I will plan my arrival into Newark at least two days prior to cruising, so perhaps Tuesday or even as early as Monday. I will plan to visit NYC during those days. I believe I read in a post you responded to that staying somewhere on the waterfront in NJ provides train options into NYC for approximately $3 each way ( not sure I’m remembering everything correctly) 🤪

With that being said I believe you said it was a reasonable amount of money to take an Uber from the airport to the waterfront hotel area ( what is the name of this area again). Also reasonable amount of time and money to Uber to the port for embarking?

Please provide your advice and guidance for transportation concerns and any hotel recommendations based on the information I provided. If I missed adding anything I’ll be sure to come back and ask for your assistance!

You’re a gem on here! I’ve read several of your posts and you really lay out all the information you provide well!

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and providing me with the guidance to properly plan our trip! [emoji4]

Safe travels to all! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi 138east!....

I posted this on the New England/Canada Port of Call thread by accident yesterday

Thank you for your response on the thread I created earlier in the week about the Anthem and NE ports of call.

You obviously have the inside track and are very informative!

I have a couple of questions to keep me planning in the right direction. I do plan to book a New England cruise on the Anthem for September or October of next year.

Please provide me with your best advice considering the following. [emoji4]

I will plan my arrival into Newark at least two days prior to cruising, so perhaps Tuesday or even as early as Monday. I will plan to visit NYC during those days. I believe I read in a post you responded to that staying somewhere on the waterfront in NJ provides train options into NYC for approximately $3 each way ( not sure I’m remembering everything correctly) 🤪

With that being said I believe you said it was a reasonable amount of money to take an Uber from the airport to the waterfront hotel area ( what is the name of this area again). Also reasonable amount of time and money to Uber to the port for embarking?

Please provide your advice and guidance for transportation concerns and any hotel recommendations based on the information I provided. If I missed adding anything I’ll be sure to come back and ask for your assistance!

You’re a gem on here! I’ve read several of your posts and you really lay out all the information you provide well!

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and providing me with the guidance to properly plan our trip! [emoji4]

Thanks for you kind words. I'm assuming you're two people. What is the realistic budget you have for a hotel? For a Monday-Thursday you will be faced with business travel rates. Nothing can be priced until Sep-Oct of this year. The high level strategy would be to make a refundable reservation and watch the discount sites, particularly Hotwire because they have a Jersey City/Hoboken area that excludes Union City.

The target area is the Newport area of Jersey City. The major hotels Dare the Courtyard, Doubletree, Westin, Hyatt, Candlewood Suites, and Residence Inn. Expedia also offers "vacation rentals" in this area, but I have no experience with them. The other vacation rental sites might have offerings as well.

PATH to NY is currently $2.75. Uber from Newark Airport to Jersey City should be in the $30-50 range and the same for Jersey City to Cape Liberty. If you can roll your luggage light rail from Jersey City to Bayonne is $2.25/pp plus about $10 for Uber into the port.

Thanks so much for the insight!

Yes we are 2 people traveling and luggage does roll. However it would probably be more convenient to just go by Uber. Thanks for the price range!.....how long is the drive approximately to get from Newport area to the port on a Thursday morning?

Hotel wise I was imagining my budget to be $170-$225 a night. Am I imagining correctly?! 🤪

Are all of the hotels you listed walking distance to reach the PATH into NYC?

My initial draw was to either the Doubletree or Westin. But I’m sure they are all doable for a few nights. I do remember you mentioning that the Newport hotels are close to lots of restaurant choices.

Thanks so much again and I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions! [emoji4]

Thanks so much for the insight!

Yes we are 2 people traveling and luggage does roll. However it would probably be more convenient to just go by Uber? Thanks for the price range!.....how long is the drive approximately to get from Newport area to the port?

Hotel wise I was imagining my budget to be $170-$225 a night. Am I imagining correctly?! 🤪

Are all of the hotels you listed walking distance to reach the PATH into NYC? My initial draw was to either the Doubletree or Westin. But I’m sure they are doable for a few nights. I do remember you mentioning that the Newport hotels are close to lots of restaurant choices.

Thanks so much again and I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions! [emoji4]

$175-225 is likely to be too low for the Newport area. However, the Newark Penn Station Hilton might be in that range for your dates. You should check to see what these hotels are charging for Mon-Thur in 2018 for the weeks you are considering for 2019.

Jersey City hotels should be about 20-30 minutes from the port, which is about the same as the Newark Airport hotels.

Okay....sooooo....at your prompting I did a few searches for the hotels in the Newport area of Jersey City for September/October of this year. Great suggestion and I appreciate it. I now think I am going to rework the idea of my stay.

Does the following sound doable?

I would consider a 2 or 3 night stay at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport. Price ranges from $195-$256 a night depending on options booked. If I went this route (correct me if I'm wrong) I can take the Embassy Suites shuttle bus back to Newark Airport. Jump on a train from the airport into NYC for $6 a person or so? (also let me know if I'm right). ;p I don't mind if the commute into NYC is 30/45 minutes or so by train.

We have friends that own an Indonesian restaurant in NYC and would certainly go into the city for dinner and to visit. If we chose to make this our choice of hotel we could travel into the city fairly easy correct?

I'd rather be a little further from NYC and have the hotel rates within a better range. That way I could stay 3 nights pre-cruise for less than I would spend staying in Jersey City.

My understanding is that it is approximately 20 to 25 minutes from this hotel to the port by Uber.....is this also correct?

Again.....thank you for entertaining all of my questions and providing your expertise and insight. I really do appreciate it!

Safe travels to all! :)

Okay....sooooo....at your prompting I did a few searches for the hotels in the Newport area of Jersey City for September/October of this year. Great suggestion and I appreciate it. I now think I am going to rework the idea of my stay.

Does the following sound doable?

I would consider a 2 or 3 night stay at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport. Price ranges from $195-$256 a night depending on options booked. If I went this route (correct me if I'm wrong) I can take the Embassy Suites shuttle bus back to Newark Airport. Jump on a train from the airport into NYC for $6 a person or so? (also let me know if I'm right). ;p I don't mind if the commute into NYC is 30/45 minutes or so by train.

We have friends that own an Indonesian restaurant in NYC and would certainly go into the city for dinner and to visit. If we chose to make this our choice of hotel we could travel into the city fairly easy correct?

I'd rather be a little further from NYC and have the hotel rates within a better range. That way I could stay 3 nights pre-cruise for less than I would spend staying in Jersey City.

My understanding is that it is approximately 20 to 25 minutes from this hotel to the port by Uber.....is this also correct?

Again.....thank you for entertaining all of my questions and providing your expertise and insight. I really do appreciate it!

Safe travels to all! :)

IMO staying at the airport is not the best plan. It will cost you at least a half hour extra in time plus $13/pp each way to go in and out of NYC for 2-3 days. You have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, the Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and then the NJ Transit train to NY. If you want to go downtown you have to switch to PATH at Newark Penn Station.

You need to look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. Second choice would be the Robert Treat. Both have free airport shuttles. NJ Transit train fare from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station is $5.25/pp each way. PATH is $2.75. You can go from Newark to World Trade Center downtown. You can also go from Newark to 33rd & 6th (Herald Square) by transferring to the 33rd St train at Journal Square. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Just remember that Newark is a highly urban industrialized area that you don't want to walk around at night. I have stayed at the Robert Treat and was very happy with it, but I did use their shuttle at night (local cab would be inexpensive as well). The Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk so no problems there.

Uber to the port would be a similar amount of time as going from the airport area.

BALI Kitchen @ 128 East 4 street

The 8th St PATH Station is about 5 avenues and 4 streets from this restaurant. You can walk east on W 8th St to 5th Avenue, South on 5th through Washington Square Park, and then east on E 4th St to the restaurant. The closest subway is still 2 avenues and 4 Streets away.

Carol...couple of questions from the "expert" We are going on the Anthem Sept. 6. Two Couples.

1) should we fly into EWR or LGA? Looks like flights are better price for us(CLT) but will we lose the savings in transfers to Cape Liberty.

2) Have already gotten two rooms help at the Country Inn in Elizabeth and also confirmed the $17.50 per person for shuttle roundtrip to port. So I would need a recommendation for hotel if we change plans.

My husband thinks he may like to explore a little in New York since we have never been there. Of course....after....I have already done all the groundwork for EWR...haha:rolleyes:

Carol...couple of questions from the "expert" We are going on the Anthem Sept. 6. Two Couples.

1) should we fly into EWR or LGA? Looks like flights are better price for us(CLT) but will we lose the savings in transfers to Cape Liberty.

2) Have already gotten two rooms help at the Country Inn in Elizabeth and also confirmed the $17.50 per person for shuttle roundtrip to port. So I would need a recommendation for hotel if we change plans.

My husband thinks he may like to explore a little in New York since we have never been there. Of course....after....I have already done all the groundwork for EWR...haha:rolleyes:

1). For four people how much cheaper per person is flying into LGA?

2). What are you paying per room for Country Inns on Sep 5?

3) would your husband go into NYC alone or would all 4 of you go?

Carol...I got a military rate for Country inn for $119 and I think we all four would go if he goes. And I can cancel without penalty.

The flight question is really a loaded question...it really is a little more, but we could fly from our closest airport (only 30 minutes away) so not traveling 2 1/2 hours and paying for parking (our kids could take us to airport) so probably would not be a huge difference but just an easier leaving from home instead of traveling to and from CLT airport.

I just don't want the whole thing to end up being too stressful trying to get to port.

Thanks again.

Carol...I got a military rate for Country inn for $119 and I think we all four would go if he goes. And I can cancel without penalty.

The flight question is really a loaded question...it really is a little more, but we could fly from our closest airport (only 30 minutes away) so not traveling 2 1/2 hours and paying for parking (our kids could take us to airport) so probably would not be a huge difference but just an easier leaving from home instead of traveling to and from CLT airport.

I just don't want the whole thing to end up being too stressful trying to get to port.

Thanks again.

I'm always talking about balancing time, money, and stress for Cape Liberty planning and this is what you need to do for your group of 4. Leaving from your closest airport saves you at least 2 hours each way and some long term parking money, but you can only fly in and out of La Guardia. This is a totally different situation than what most folks face when choosing among the NY airports.

What time would you get to LGA on Sep 5? Hopefully not so late as to get caught in the afternoon rush hour.

In order to make your decision, you need to price a car service like Dial7 and Carmel limo to find your costs to get from LGA to Country Inns and Cape Liberty to LGA. If you can live with that price and the flight times and feel that you are actually saving some travel time and stress by using your local airport, then go with that plan.

You have a good reservation and plan for Country Inns, so I would stick wth it. With 4 people going in and out of NYC for the evening, I would plan to Uber to Newark Penn Station to minimize your travel time and travel costs. If you use the hotel shuttle to go to the P4 Airtrain station, Airtrain to the Newark airport Station and train to NYC, it will cost you $13/pp. each way plus the extra time to make all those connections. If you all Uber directly to Newark Penn Station, it will save you time and cost you $5.25/pp each way on the NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station. The $62 difference should pay for the Uber rides. If the train times don't suit, you can hop on PATH at Newark Penn Station for $2.75/pp and go directly to World Trade Center or transfer at Journal Square to go to 33rd & 6th.