Leaving from Manhattan Cruise Terminal - Parking at Pier 83

mrmj59

Has anyone parked at Pier 83 lately?

It seems to have cheaper rates than parking at Manhattan terminal for $40/day.

Found rate of $250 for 10 days of parking if we decide to come in earlier for 8 day cruise on Carnival Horizon this summer.

Any parking comments welcomed.

Pier 83 is the Circle Line so you’re going to have people coming and going all day and into the night especially in the summer. The lot is not as secure as the Port parking where it is only opened when cruises are embarking and disembarking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good points and something to keep in mind.

Regarding Manhattan terminal parking, so if we come in a day or two earlier, then we can’t get in - I didn’t know this.

Anyone else can confirm this or give feedback on how secure or not pier 83 is?

The fact I can't park at cruise terminal before embarkation day changes things. Was hoping to park once in NY and then not have to worry about the vehicle until we get back from cruise.

Has me rethinking of staying and parking in NJ?

I do agree that parking at cruise terminal is convenient. This seems like the best way to go.

Now need to find a place to stay before cruise with free parking. I see many posts about staying in NJ but how about in Queens?

Any thoughts on NJ, i.e. Secaucus vs. NY, Queens?

I do agree that parking at cruise terminal is convenient. This seems like the best way to go.

Now need to find a place to stay before cruise with free parking. I see many posts about staying in NJ but how about in Queens?

Any thoughts on NJ, i.e. Secaucus vs. NY, Queens?

The reason people talk about hotels in NJ and not Queens is because no hotels in Queens have free parking for cruise passengers, while a couple of hotels in NJ do, and provide a free shuttle to and from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

The reason people talk about hotels in NJ and not Queens is because no hotels in Queens have free parking for cruise passengers, while a couple of hotels in NJ do, and provide a free shuttle to and from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I am now considering any hotel with free parking for pre cruise stay and then just park at Manhattan cruise terminal. So any pros / cons of NJ vs a hotel in NY outside of Manhattan but close enough to get in and out.

I am now considering any hotel with free parking for pre cruise stay and then just park at Manhattan cruise terminal. So any pros / cons of NJ vs a hotel in NY outside of Manhattan but close enough to get in and out.

Jersey City is easy to get to/from Manhattan, just hop on the ferry. They have made is really easy and convenient to get to/from NYC from Jersey using public transit. I love staying in Manhattan, but I hate paying $70+ a night to park at our favorite little hotel, but sometimes hotels will include parking in their rate.

Since you are staying in Manhattan for a few days, I’d find a hotel there, and find parking there for your entire stay. There is a facility close to the port (park right?) cheaper than parking at the pier. I live in NJ 10 miles west of NYC, stay in the city.

Lots of good suggestions here. I agree that with a car Queens is out and NJ is your target hotel area.

Could you provide more details?

Exact dates you need a hotel and hotel budget range?

Number of people and bed size requirements?

What specific sightseeing do you want to do in NYC? Is going out to the Statue of Liberty on your list?

Keep in mind, if there happens to be another cruise ship sailing out the day you plan to arrive, you could park there. Check the sailing schedule and plan accordingly if you really want to park there.

Since you are staying in Manhattan for a few days, I’d find a hotel there, and find parking there for your entire stay. There is a facility close to the port (park right?) cheaper than parking at the pier. I live in NJ 10 miles west of NYC, stay in the city.

I would look into this also because July you might be able to find good deals in Manhattan. Much less than other months because there are no business conventions during the summer so lots of empty rooms.

Lots of good suggestions here. I agree that with a car Queens is out and NJ is your target hotel area.

Could you provide more details?

Exact dates you need a hotel and hotel budget range?

Number of people and bed size requirements?

What specific sightseeing do you want to do in NYC? Is going out to the Statue of Liberty on your list?

Why is Queens out or perhaps Long Island? From what I can tell, better hotel rates and free parking and then can take subway into Manhattan vs NJ which does have even better rates and free parking but need to take NJ transit into NY.

Budget is under $1000 CDN for hotel & parking. We are a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 teenagers, so need 2 double/queen beds in room. Dates are June 30 - July 3. Not planning to do Statue of Liberty - want to get to Central Park, Times Square, Broadway, 9/11 Memorial, China Town, Little Italy, Empire Statue Building.

Keep in mind, if there happens to be another cruise ship sailing out the day you plan to arrive, you could park there. Check the sailing schedule and plan accordingly if you really want to park there.

Looks like there are cruises on June 30 and July 1 so are you saying we could park at the Manhattan cruise terminal on one of these days although our cruise leaves July 3.

We plan to arrive late on June 30 so I assume parking is closed at a certain time. Anyone know the times the cruise terminal is open?

I would look into this also because July you might be able to find good deals in Manhattan. Much less than other months because there are no business conventions during the summer so lots of empty rooms.

I am not finding very good deals within Manhattan midtown because cruise is July 3 which means city is busy around July 4. Deals are better for 2 people too but we are a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 teenagers.

Why is Queens out or perhaps Long Island? From what I can tell, better hotel rates and free parking and then can take subway into Manhattan vs NJ which does have even better rates and free parking but need to take NJ transit into NY.

Budget is under $1000 CDN for hotel & parking. We are a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 teenagers, so need 2 double/queen beds in room. Dates are June 30 - July 3. Not planning to do Statue of Liberty - want to get to Central Park, Times Square, Broadway, 9/11 Memorial, China Town, Little Italy, Empire Statue Building.

Can you clarify the allocation of the $1000? I'm seeing $1000 CDN as being just under $800 US. Would that $800 need to cover 3 nights of hotel plus parking for the cruise? 2 Queen beds can be hard to find. Can you really get by with 2 doubles?

On lastminutetravel.com in Jersey City I'm seeing the Westin for $140 and Candlewood Suites for $134. Parking is $24. The Westin (2 doubles) is 2-3 blocks from the Newport PATH station where you can go directly to midtown at 33rd and 6th or downtown World Trade Center for $2.75. Candlewood Suites (1 queen and sofabed) is 5-6 blocks from either the Newport station for midtown or Exchange Place for downtown. It has a full kitchenette.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Train travel times to Manhattan from Newport range from 7-18 minutes depending on the weekend or weekday service.

Looks like there are cruises on June 30 and July 1 so are you saying we could park at the Manhattan cruise terminal on one of these days although our cruise leaves July 3.

We plan to arrive late on June 30 so I assume parking is closed at a certain time. Anyone know the times the cruise terminal is open?

The June 30 and July 1 cruises are on NCL ships that will depart from Pier 88. You're on the Carnival Horizon,which will likely depart Pier 90. On June 30 and July 1 unless the Pier 88 lot is full they will direct you to park there. They would only open the Pier 90 lot if it's needed for overflow parking. When you return to Pier 90 at the end of your cruise the Pier 88 lot may not be readily accessible (in other words the gates may be locked) since no ships will be docking at Pier 88 that day. You're taking a risk that you might not be able to remove your car from Pier 88 that day.

The parking lots will be closed by mid to late afternoon, because passengers will not be arriving for a cruise any later than 90 minutes before sailing.

Can you clarify the allocation of the $1000? I'm seeing $1000 CDN as being just under $800 US. Would that $800 need to cover 3 nights of hotel plus parking for the cruise? 2 Queen beds can be hard to find. Can you really get by with 2 doubles?

Correct, 3 nights of hotel + parking to be around $800 US. We can work with 2 doubles. I didn't mentioned that we are 2 families of 4 people each if this makes a difference.

I can easily find this in NJ and maybe Queens or Long Island but not Manhattan unless I stay at a really low end place.

Thanks for your help. This thread was more for whether to park at cruise terminal or at pier 83 and it seems like the cruise terminal is recommended so this leaves less in the budget for hotel.

Any other suggestions are still welcomed.

The June 30 and July 1 cruises are on NCL ships that will depart from Pier 88. You're on the Carnival Horizon,which will likely depart Pier 90. On June 30 and July 1 unless the Pier 88 lot is full they will direct you to park there. They would only open the Pier 90 lot if it's needed for overflow parking. When you return to Pier 90 at the end of your cruise the Pier 88 lot may not be readily accessible (in other words the gates may be locked) since no ships will be docking at Pier 88 that day. You're taking a risk that you might not be able to remove your car from Pier 88 that day.

The parking lots will be closed by mid to late afternoon, because passengers will not be arriving for a cruise any later than 90 minutes before sailing.

Thanks for the clarification and this is all important information.

Look at Hilton Garden Inn Financial Center Manhattan.

This one is over $200US / night and then I have to factor in parking. Hotel needs to be around $160 US / night and decent.

NJ hotels are probably the best option so far but I'm still looking.

On lastminutetravel.com in Jersey City I'm seeing the Westin for $140 and Candlewood Suites for $134. Parking is $24. The Westin (2 doubles) is 2-3 blocks from the Newport PATH station where you can go directly to midtown at 33rd and 6th or downtown World Trade Center for $2.75. Candlewood Suites (1 queen and sofabed) is 5-6 blocks from either the Newport station for midtown or Exchange Place for downtown. It has a full kitchenette.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Train travel times to Manhattan from Newport range from 7-18 minutes depending on the weekend or weekday service.

I can't seem to find these rates. I get $248 for Westin and $169 for Candlewood. Then there's parking for 3 nights + parking during cruise.

Thanks for the suggestions.