Couples

cruisin1982

Being a Disney Cruise what is the breakdown of families and just couples cruising. We are doing our without any children and requested a table for 2 as the last time we cruised we had a terrible experience with our table mates

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being a Disney Cruise what is the breakdown of families and just couples cruising. We are doing our without any children and requested a table for 2 as the last time we cruised we had a terrible experience with our table mates

As noted, hard to tell the actual mix. We've always been just the two of us. And we've always had table mates. Never had a bad one in the bunch (not just DCL).

If you have problems with seating arrangements, once onboard, a talk with your head server will get you moved.

First, there are no tables for 2 in the MDRs on DCL. You will be seated alone at a 4 top table provided that space permits.

As to the breakdown of couples vs. larger families, it depends greatly on the cruise. The longer the cruise and those that occur while traditional schools are in session typically have more adults cruising without children. They also have more very young children. Frankly these are less disruptive as they are unable to be running the ship on their own--they are in the programming, the nursery, or with parents. And these cruises are at the lower price range time periods.

Cruises during typical school breaks cost more and have more tweens and teens on board.

DCL does a good job of keeping kids out of the nightclub areas in the evenings, but unfortunately doesn't do such a good job with adult only areas during the day. At least that's my experience.

We've had some great shared seating situations and a couple of less than desirable ones. Now we usually ask for a "just us" table.

They even "card" people they think may be under the age of 18.

Not what we experienced. We saw a few kids walking right through the adult areas without anybody saying anything to them. And there was this mom by the adult pool who always had her kids with her playing on an iPad while she read a book. Nobody ever said a word. In all fairness, her kids were very quiet.

Not what we experienced. We saw a few kids walking right through the adult areas without anybody saying anything to them. And there was this mom by the adult pool who always had her kids with her playing on an iPad while she read a book. Nobody ever said a word. In all fairness, her kids were very quiet.

This sort of thing is far too common for my liking.

And it doesn't matter that the kids were quiet. The point is that they should have been in a "family" area, not an area signed as being "for guests 18 and over."

My wife and I take several DCL cruises a year, mostly just the two of us cruising. Occasionally, our adult children join us as they have enjoyed DCL themselves for many years.

We find that DCL has gotten better and better at catering to adults. The adult programming "after hours" is entertaining and done with taste. The adult host or hostess usually makes an effort to get to know the passengers and that makes for some fun! We do not see children in the adult areas, other than in the hallway to access the aft elevators on the Magic and Wonder. I have not seen them at the adult pool either, although they do cut through the adult area to get to the elevator. That is unavoidable. There are adult-only excursions as well, and we generally do book those if we can.

I do agree that off-season and longer voyages tend to have less children. Although, you never know! Canada takes a winter break in January and there can be a surprising number of children on the ship at that time. There were a large number of children on the Baltic and Norwegian cruises we did last summer. Not many on the Southern Caribbean cruise on the Wonder this last February. I am relatively oblivious to the children on the ship. Its Disney and that goes with the territory. But we do seek out adult programming and have been pleased by what we experienced.

We have made many good friends who started out on table mates on a DCL cruise. One is a gentleman with whom I now do a fair amount of business (longer story!). We have had only a couple of table mates that were less than ideal - and that was mostly due to not having anything in common, causing a few moments of awkward conversation. One time we had a table mate whose wife didn't speak English. But, I would not trade the many times we have had fun and interesting table mates for the few times we have not.