2019 plans

pacmom

Well we did it. booked 2 trips for next year. River cruise #28 will be in June 2019, sailing with CroisiEurope from Berlin to Amsterdam. Cabins very small, but itinerary looks worth it. We will see parts of Europe we have not yet visited.

Sept 2019 takes us along with dear college friends on a Grand Circle small ship from Malta to Venice with most ports on the East coast of Italy. When our friends booked this trip, there was only one balcony cabin left. The ship holds about 50 pax.

Less than 2 months til our Columbia and Snake river trip. Really looking forward to a trip on an America river. Then off to Scotland on the Lord of the Glens(not National Geo.) towards the end of Sept of this year. Promise reviews at least here on the River Cruise board.

Happy Spring--think it is knocking on the door here in southwest Ohio. Pat

Congratulations, they all sound interesting trips. I am most excited about someone taking a trip along a somewhat unexplored route, from the CC river board North-American perspective that is. Berlin to Amsterdam sounds almost exotic perhaps to some and they wonder what massive river this might be...

Just to explain: There sort of is no river that can take you over such a long distance from East to (North)West and the area is made accessible with the help of canals. Some canals and rivers of the European waterways are not suitable for the large ships hence the fact that the cabins are small; the ship itself is small!

I guess this is your itinerary (or similar): http://www.croisieurope.co.uk/cruises/amsterdam-berlin-formula-port/port-without-transfer

But first the Columbia and Snake river trip.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

I’m taking that GCT trip in July, but in the opposite direction...from Venice to Malta. I was supposed to do it a few weeks ago, but GCT asked my friend and I to change...

I’ve spent a month in Scotland during the last few years. Will love to hear how you like that trip...

P.s. I’m going in 2019 to China in March, Thailand, Vietnam etc in November ...

Am blessed to have a husband who LOVES to research trips on the computer. He has found some great trips for us.

We have traveled with CroisEurope, but on Road Scholar trips. They are not as 5 star as some of the more North America leaning lines, but haven't had a bad day yet. Yes lunch and dinner are plated and a set meal. Have been able to either eat around something or even get it changed. Am really looking forward to seeing parts of Europe we have only read about.

We always look at all the lines doing the trip we want and weigh the pros and cons of each before we commit.

Counting down to the Columbia and Snake river. There was a series about the men who blazed the frontiers here in the US. We have it on DVR and the next one is about Lewis and Clark. Will definitely watch it more than once before we go.

Safe and happy travels, Pat

Your Croisieurope trip sounds interesting as it's different from the usual Rhine/Danube cruises in Germany. How did you find out about it? I can't find any information on the 018 cruise on their website (US version). The 'Dates and Prices' tab shows no dates or prices! I tried to request a brochure but it only shows 2017 and 2018 brochures.

Dolllover,

We are going with American Queen Steamboat Co. for the Columbia and Snake River. We are going Portland to Spokane. Someone here on the boards had used the other company and was not pleased. Will let you know how it is. Pat

KathyK13,

The reason it is not on the website for this year is because it is totally sold out. My DH called the US office and told them of our interest and they called us when the 2019 schedule came out. It was the same with the Grand Circle trip. The dates we wanted have only a few cabins left. Pat

We did the Columbia/Snake River cruise following the Lewis and Clark Trail a few years ago. We went through Uncommon Journeys and combined a train trip to get to Portland along with Uncruise for the river portion. Enjoyed the entire trip thoroughly. Uncruise was wonderful. Be sure to read up on Lewis and Clark before you go. Maybe we should have paid more attention in school when they taught us all that! We (re)learned a lot of history.

• 3 months later...

Hi PacMom

For 2019 we are thinking the Croisi Europe trip frowm Seville to Cadiz, then along the coast and up Portugues river.

You posted* in 2015 that you were taking this trip in October 2015 and would report back, but I cannot find your report.

I'd love to hear what you thought of it; I have posted a request for info here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2662638

*https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2255341&highlight=Cadix

We have booked our first ever river cruise - we are going on Scenic Pearl on the Rhine Highlights trip leaving Amsterdam on October 14th 2019. Still a long way away, but getting excited.

A little worried about all the reports of low water happening currently. The idea of a bus trip is terrible, it is something that we have never wanted to do, so crossing our fingers very tightly that these issues don't arise again.

We just booked this cruise too

Hi Elyce & Bob. Same date and boat? What a co-incidence!!

Two back-to-back river cruises. Thats the way to do it. I never find just one week is long enough