Where to meet up at Vancouver airport?

My sister-in-law will be arriving from the US an hour before my wife and I will, also from the US on different airlines, Should she wait at her gate, or is there a convenient area beyond customs.

If I remember right once past customs you are out on the street.

thanks

Your memory is skipping two rooms and the most obvious place to meet - you'll pass through both the International Reception Lounge (where Tourist Info desk is) and then the Arrivals hall with it's 'meet & greet' area with huge sculptures between exiting customs and reaching the outside world. For international flights, it's these guys you are looking for (the Welcome Figures) in the M&G zone. Still, standing around for an hour isn't ideal - and given how variable the immigration process can be, your flights may be an hour apart but even if both on time it could easily take 30mins extra to make it through if a couple of big planes arrive at the same time as one of your flights but not the other.

So in short I'd say that unless you both have phones that you plan to use in Canada - in which case whoever arrives last can just text the other when they have their bags, and the first folks can walk back to the arrivals hall and stand under the big statues - it's easiest to pick somewhere in the public area of the airport where you can sit down for a while comfortably, maybe have a snack or drink, and be easily found when the second folks arrive. Head upstairs to level 3 from the arrivals hall (this is where the huge jade canoe also pictured on the above link can be found) and there's a food court.

A less busy, so more easily-found seats, option is the Public Observation Area over on level 4 of the Domestic side of the terminal. If you're not hungry and want to stretch your legs, you could also wander the pre-Security parts of the airport and check out the many other public art displays while killing time until the second flight arrives before heading back to M&G area.

• 2 weeks later...